one device hogging all the bandwidth

LivelyCornet640

Router: Netgear nighthawk MK63

We have had a problem where our new router, is giving all the bandwidth to the device that needs it. So I was gaming, and my dad tells me that hes getting really slow internet and his zoom meetings weren't working properly, I on the other hand was getting 0 ping. He said that earlier it was fine, just when I was playing. Is there any way I can fix this without getting a new router.

Sounds like your pipe is too narrow for both you and your dad.  0 ping is impossible unless the game sever is in the same building as you. Low ping is not though.  Not quite but unreasonably close to zero ping perhaps”like zero ping” rather than “0 ping” Zero and infinity are both weird numbers things can be done with, and rarely actually exist.  People like to pretend to make them happen so they can do those weird thing a though.  might be able to limit max bandwidth in your machine.  If you’re in a city bandwidth may be greater now than it was when it was put in.  Unless your ISP is a monopoly, which happens in a lot of places.  Then it’s “you’ll take what I give you and like it”.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

Router: Netgear nighthawk MK63

We have had a problem where our new router, is giving all the bandwidth to the device that needs it. So I was gaming, and my dad tells me that hes getting really slow internet and his zoom meetings weren't working properly, I on the other hand was getting 0 ping. He said that earlier it was fine, just when I was playing. Is there any way I can fix this without getting a new router.

Find the manual. Open to pages 51-53.

39 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like your pipe is too narrow for both you and your dad.  0 ping is impossible unless the game sever is in the same building as you. Low ping is not though.  Not quite but unreasonably close to zero ping perhaps”like zero ping” rather than “0 ping” Zero and infinity are both weird numbers things can be done with, and rarely actually exist.  People like to pretend to make them happen so they can do those weird thing a though.  might be able to limit max bandwidth in your machine.  If you’re in a city bandwidth may be greater now than it was when it was put in.  Unless your ISP is a monopoly, which happens in a lot of places.  Then it’s “you’ll take what I give you and like it”.

im not quite sure how

5 minutes ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

im not quite sure how

If you actually saw a zero something is messed up somewhere.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

thats qos will that help me?

Activate and test.

Your computer is hogging the bandwidth thereby crippling video conferencing transfers. Any traffic management protocol should be able to help.

16 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Activate and test.

Your computer is hogging the bandwidth thereby crippling video conferencing transfers. Any traffic management protocol should be able to help.

would you be able to say that more simpler i am new to the router settings

1 hour ago, LivelyCornet640 said:

would you be able to say that more simpler i am new to the router settings

Follow the instructions in the manual on how to activate QoS.

12 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Activate and test.

Gaming should never hog bandwidth though, it uses very little.  Downloading games does, which is why online games usually suspend downloads.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7