New Build worked last nigh then bewm...nothing.

Hey everyone, Greetings from the Caribbean.

My build:

Motherboard - ROG STRIX B550-XE WIFI

RAM - Corsair Vengeance PRO 32GB

CPU - Ryzen 3700X

Storage - Samsung 970 Pro 2TB NVME M.2 (Primary)

Storage - Western Digital 2TB Hybrid HDD

GPU - Radeon 7970 (I know...it's old compared to everything else)

Case - Thermaltake 900D

Completed a build a month ago and dug up the old 7970 to complete and use it last night. Booted up, installed a few updates and restarted twice with no issues. Then while listening to music, the system just went off and would only show a sign of life only after I restarted the surge protector and/or flicking the PSU switch on and off. There would be a half second reaction from the Wraith CPU Cooler then off again.

So I began ze process of elmination and made a bench with the mobo box and:

Unseated all cables and plugged them back as I went along.

With/Without Ram.

With/Without NVME and secondary HDD.

With/Without Wraith Cooler.

There are no Q-LEDs or beep code and I have not updated the bios. I am more leaning to a dead PSU and my mobo has her rgb so I am not sure if that could be an issue as well. I've done the short technique with the power header and the same results. No error lights and or sounds. Mobo has no burnt/swollen capacitors or burnt welds on the back. PSU still has that new smell too.

There. I'd greatly appreciate any substancial assistance. I'm kinda bummed too...Thanks!

That sadly follows a common hardware pattern.  A lot of electronics that is bad fails very soon after it is put into service, or very late in life after it’s service life is over. I forsee the RMA dance.  My concolances.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think what @Bombastinatorpretty much covered it, but I just wanted to pop in and congratulate you on your own process of troubleshooting.

Just to clear up the PSU test you did, you shorted the two pins in the 24-pin connector and the PSU did not turn on?

29 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I think what @Bombastinatorpretty much covered it, but I just wanted to pop in and congratulate you on your own process of troubleshooting.

Just to clear up the PSU test you did, you shorted the two pins in the 24-pin connector and the PSU did not turn on?

Yes and using the on-mobo trick with the screwdriver and it only gave out a click...is that bad? Do I take it out back behind the barn?

24 minutes ago, ageekhere said:

My guess would be the power supply, i once had a 850 watt gold power supply die just after 1 day of use.

I am leaning to that conclusion too. The mobo has all her lights and everything and the Wraith gives a little jump when I press the power button.

54 minutes ago, ageekhere said:

My guess would be the power supply, i once had a 850 watt gold power supply die just after 1 day of use.

It’s also the first thing I would try to RMA.  One generally starts at one end of the power chain and move forward.  Starting at the PSU end makes sense for several reasons imho. RMA doesn’t necessarily mean a part is bad, but RMA if something does make sure it’s known good which simplifies the next step of there is one.  If the PSU isn’t the problem the motherboard would probably go next. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Alright guys. Sorry for the long delay. It was the PSU. Got a new one and posted using this very same rig.

Thanks for the insights.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Dem Titties said:

Alright guys. Sorry for the long delay. It was the PSU. Got a new one and posted using this very same rig.

Thanks for the insights.

Cheers.

Coulda been worse.  GL with your machine.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Coulda been worse.  GL with your machine.

Could have been the board......*shudder* Good thoughts, good thoughts.