CPU Thermal Throttling?

Hi All,

Here are all my specs:

MOBO: Asus m5A78L-M/USB3

CPU: AMD FX-8320

RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury

GPU: XFX R9 290

PSU: 550W

I am experiencing something that looks to be thermal throttling even though the cpu is not getting particularly hot

image.png.26cf2df805c3916fa1e9172d795f0017.png

This is a screenshot from MSI afterburner./\

image.png.9461fc0a72f4d6b7f77ba771af1f7981.png

This is what CPUID HWMonitor is showing me /\

When playing games (BattleField 4) it has a similar outcome in that the temps dip but on BF4 the CPU usage also dips.

To stress test the CPU i am using Prime95 which i think is why the usage stays at 100 throughout even though the temps would indicate that it is fluctuating

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Maybe set a manual overclock in the bios, its a longshot guess but who knows maybe itll work ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

What makes you think it's thermal throttling of even displaying the behavior of thermal throttling? With a base clock of 3.5 and max boost of 4.0, your clockspeeds are pretty much where you'd expect them to be on an all core load.

If you're talking about usage being under 100% while gaming, that's also normal. There's no game that's going to cause 100% utilization. It's just not that heavy of a workload.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

22 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

What makes you think it's thermal throttling of even displaying the behavior of thermal throttling? With a base clock of 3.5 and max boost of 4.0, your clockspeeds are pretty much where you'd expect them to be on an all core load.

If you're talking about usage being under 100% while gaming, that's also normal. There's no game that's going to cause 100% utilization. It's just not that heavy of a workload.

Well during gaming with the task manager open I can see the CPU usage at 80 ISH percent (FPS around 120)

But every so often the FPS (approx 50 FPS) and CPU utilisation (approx 40%) will dip for a brief couple of seconds (this happens even when I haven't moved in the game so nothing in game is causing the dips)

I don't see any significant dips in GPU temps or utilisation so I'm thinking it's not to do with that and is why I'm thinking CPU thermal throttling.

Could it be anything to do with not giving the CPU enough power? I have a four pin connector in the mobo but my PSU has another 4 pin cable which I assume would be used if I had a better mobo

22 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Maybe set a manual overclock in the bios, its a longshot guess but who knows maybe itll work ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

Yeah I think I'm gonna try this, about the only thing I haven't tried at this point 

1 hour ago, Simon Davis said:

Yeah I think I'm gonna try this, about the only thing I haven't tried at this point 

Though i dont suggest going over 1.6v cause that might kill your cpu if you go too high, i run 45nm core cpus and since they are so old and bulletproof i can actually run 2v and have the cpu not die but if i even put any load on it i bet itd die so be careful with volts

49 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Though i dont suggest going over 1.6v cause that might kill your cpu if you go too high, i run 45nm core cpus and since they are so old and bulletproof i can actually run 2v and have the cpu not die but if i even put any load on it i bet itd die so be careful with volts

Dude.

You really need to stop suggesting voltages that would be unreasonably high.

1.6v on a FX chip is Dice worthy.

2.0v is absurdly high, and his board doesn't go that high anyways. 

Why do you keep mentioning 2v?  You're gonna kill someone's hardware.....

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Dude.

You really need to stop suggesting voltages that would be unreasonably high.

1.6v on a FX chip is Dice worthy.

2.0v is absurdly high, and his board doesn't go that high anyways. 

Why do you keep mentioning 2v?  You're gonna kill someone's hardware.....

I can run 2v but that doesnt mean i suggest running 2v nor even intended to run 2v through my poor e6700, three fking times and even booted once all on accident

So is 1.5v a more reasonable volt or is that still absurd

Tbh if you have a lower end board you should be ok cause they usually never go that high anyways, my g31m s2c only goes to 1.6v, not even near the death zone for my 45nm, so i bet op board will prob allow for max +200mv or something cause its low end

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I can run 2v but that doesnt mean i suggest running 2v nor even intended to run 2v through my poor e6700, three fking times and even booted once all on accident

So is 1.5v a more reasonable volt or is that still absurd

Tbh if you have a lower end board you should be ok cause they usually never go that high anyways, my g31m s2c only goes to 1.6v, not even near the death zone for my 45nm, so i bet op board will prob allow for max +200mv or something cause its low end

1.5v is around the FX-9590 single core boost clocks.

The FX-9590 requires stout liquid cooling, just to give an idea how hot that chip is.

Judging by his 60+c temp and a thermal limit of 70c.... he doesn't have that much headroom.

The FX chips did not have as high of thermal limits of Intel chips, nor can you compare 45nm AMD vs Intel.

Just now, ShrimpBrime said:

1.5v is around the FX-9590 single core boost clocks.

The FX-9590 requires stout liquid cooling, just to give an idea how hot that chip is.

Judging by his 60+c temp and a thermal limit of 70c.... he doesn't have that much headroom.

The FX chips did not have as high of thermal limits of Intel chips, nor can you compare 45nm AMD vs Intel.

Looks like having bulletproof hardware is both a blessing and a curse

Cause i can shove 2v if i ever wanted to and my cpu doesnt die, and other stupid abuse that i put my hardware through

But then you get used to never worrying about hardware even dying and thinking that its fine to run 0.1v over safe volt on newer cpus and those are already pushed to the edge on safe volt

And yes i did run and even boot 2v on fking ambient cooling, it was a 4.6ghz oc btw so 2v is wayyy overkill and if i did put a load on it the cpu would surely die

Heck if i got my hands on a newer platform id prob kill it cause i have gotten used to being able to abuse the shit out of my poor hardware and the hardware just not dying

Even if you gave me westmere id prob still kill it and thats 32nm

45 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Looks like having bulletproof hardware is both a blessing and a curse

Cause i can shove 2v if i ever wanted to and my cpu doesnt die, and other stupid abuse that i put my hardware through

But then you get used to never worrying about hardware even dying and thinking that its fine to run 0.1v over safe volt on newer cpus and those are already pushed to the edge on safe volt

And yes i did run and even boot 2v on fking ambient cooling, it was a 4.6ghz oc btw so 2v is wayyy overkill and if i did put a load on it the cpu would surely die

Heck if i got my hands on a newer platform id prob kill it cause i have gotten used to being able to abuse the shit out of my poor hardware and the hardware just not dying

Even if you gave me westmere id prob still kill it and thats 32nm

I don't even use voltages that high on 1366. 

2.0v is absurd. 

Here is 1.7v 6.1ghz FX-8350 cpu-z from X number of years ago.

https://valid.x86.fr/accq5v

I'd love to see your 2.0v with minimal accomplishment.

4.6ghz, probably doesn't need more than 1.35v 45nm on either Intel or AMD dating as far back as 1366/AM2+

24 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I don't even use voltages that high on 1366. 

2.0v is absurd. 

Here is 1.7v 6.1ghz FX-8350 cpu-z from X number of years ago.

https://valid.x86.fr/accq5v

I'd love to see your 2.0v with minimal accomplishment.

4.6ghz, probably doesn't need more than 1.35v 45nm on either Intel or AMD dating as far back as 1366/AM2+

Not sure what i can get at 2v

Cause 5.01ghz on a e5800 requires 1.8v and 2v pll just to even boot in the bios, and im very hesitant of pll voltage cause my p4 631 degraded after shoving 2.4v pll for a 5.656ghz bios oc

And most oc results ive found show that 5ghz on 45nm core requires around 1.7-1.8v on regular liquid or air cooling

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Not sure what i can get at 2v

Cause 5.01ghz on a e5800 requires 1.8v and 2v pll just to even boot in the bios, and im very hesitant of pll voltage cause my p4 631 degraded after shoving 2.4v pll for a 5.656ghz bios oc

And most oc results ive found show that 5ghz on 45nm core requires around 1.7-1.8v on regular liquid or air cooling

There's the cpu part number finally.

FX at 1.7 to 2.0v is 6 to 8ghz range. This is horrible to compare with E5800.

5ghz on air with E5800 is real sketchy numbers 1.8v. Probably chilled liquid I could see these numbers viable maybe. Definitely we where not running many E series chips 5ghz as a daily clock speed, which you've confirmed with a 4.6ghz clock.

So, for the original poster, if he can cool up to 1.45v and keep cpu under 70c, he might hit 4.6 to 4.8ghz for a daily clock. 

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So, for the original poster, if he can cool up to 1.45v and keep cpu under 70c, he might hit 4.6 to 4.8ghz for a daily clock. 

Yea op will need that high clockspeed cause we all know fx was pretty crap compared to the intel offerings of the time

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

5ghz on air with E5800 is real sketchy numbers 1.8v. Probably chilled liquid I could see these numbers viable maybe.

Even fking worse my cooler is a cheap chinese 92mm tower cooler and it can only handle my e5400 at 4.5ghz 1.55v without just crashing due to heat

Tbh as a daily clock i tend to prefer clocks right before the dimininshing returns zone or a sweetspot in the diminishing returns zone

For 3.8ghz my e5400 only requires 1.25v

But for 4ghz it requires 1.32v, for 4.2 it requires 1.4v, and for 4.5 it requires 1.52v

But if the platform is old asf i tend to just go fk it just get as high of a clockspeed as you can and run that as a daily clock

Maybe i can run higher clocks once i get an se 224 xt or se 207 xt

Btw op what cooler do you have?

Cause if its a crappy cooler you arent gonna get very far