Son's brand new prebuild computer won't turn on after a few days

Go to solution Solved by fuzz0r,

The sound he heard could've be a capacitor bursting.

If that's the case they will NEED to take it back where he got it from, and fix it.

EDIT: Could also be the PSU - which is actually more likely. In any case, that thing is not doing anything. They'll need to troubleshoot and fix where he got it.

Greetings everyone here,

I've recently purchased my youngest son a new computer from a prebuild company, he is staying in Korea so the company is Korean I believe.

Unfortunately the company isn't being very helpful in troubleshooting his problem and refuse to offer any service right now citing COVID.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I hope ya'll can help me out on troubleshooting what is wrong with his pc.

The computer :

Core: Intel core I7-11 11700K
Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 XT 
Motherboad: ASUS TUF Gaming B560M-PLUS WIFI
Ram: Samsung DDR4-3200 (8GB) PC4-25600 ( 2 of them)
Graphic card: ASUS KO GEFORECE RTX 3060 O12G GAMING OC D6 12GB
Ssd: Crucial MX500  DEAWON CTS 250GB
Hd: Western Digital BLUE 7200/256M (WD20EZBX, 2TB)
Case: DARKFLASH NEO 202 
Power: COUGAR XTC600 80PLUS STANDARD 230V EU

Windows10 home

The problem : He said he was using his computer for Virtual reality, apparently it gotten super hot, he suddenly heard a loud sound like something dropped onto a wooden floor, then the PC just turns off all the sudden. Because it was very hot to the touch at the time, he decided to let the computer cool off and go to sleep for the night, but the day after, he tries to turn it on again but it wouldn't turn on.

I told him to try to reseat the RAM and plug in most the basic PSU connection but nothing changes, though it's seem like the RGB light on the case still get power somehow. There is also no lit Q-LED troubleshooting light on the motherboard. So I can't tell if it could be certain part being part, could the motherboard just died? 

He might able to get someone to come in next week to check, so they did told him to not touch too much stuff as he don't know how to handle computer and breaking any part could void warranty, but he need it for his school work so I'm trying to see what it possibly could be until then.

If ya'll have any clue, I'd really appreciate it.

here's a video of him turning it on.

video

Thank you for your help.

The sound he heard could've be a capacitor bursting.

If that's the case they will NEED to take it back where he got it from, and fix it.

EDIT: Could also be the PSU - which is actually more likely. In any case, that thing is not doing anything. They'll need to troubleshoot and fix where he got it.

Yea sounds like a psu issue, the specs are pretty good for a prebuilt but the psu is literal ass shit i bet

Like come on the last thing you wanna cheap out on is the psu ffs

Considering that PSU is considered "Recommended only for very cheap, iGPU systems" on the tier list, wouldnt be surprised if it was the cause. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

12 hours ago, MontanaMom58 said:

I am not familiar with this brand. I would recommend that should you replace the PSU that you go with a more well known manufacturer like Corsair or Seasonic. I would also recommend a higher wattage PSU just so you're covered. As for troubleshooting this particular issue, it is most likely that one or more components are dead and require an RMA order. I would check the motherboard for any visible damage like open leads where a capacitor may have blown off or blackened areas where the motherboard may have shorted out. Judging from the attached video, some motherboard components may be dead or some components attached to the motherboard may be dead. I would recommend removing ALL unnecessary components like extra RAM and hard drives to prevent them from being damaged further. Really, as far as fixing it goes, I am not knowledgeable enough to help you.

19 hours ago, MontanaMom58 said:

Greetings everyone here,

I've recently purchased my youngest son a new computer from a prebuild company, he is staying in Korea so the company is Korean I believe.

Unfortunately the company isn't being very helpful in troubleshooting his problem and refuse to offer any service right now citing COVID.

I'm not very tech savvy, so I hope ya'll can help me out on troubleshooting what is wrong with his pc.

The computer :

Core: Intel core I7-11 11700K
Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 XT 
Motherboad: ASUS TUF Gaming B560M-PLUS WIFI
Ram: Samsung DDR4-3200 (8GB) PC4-25600 ( 2 of them)
Graphic card: ASUS KO GEFORECE RTX 3060 O12G GAMING OC D6 12GB
Ssd: Crucial MX500  DEAWON CTS 250GB
Hd: Western Digital BLUE 7200/256M (WD20EZBX, 2TB)
Case: DARKFLASH NEO 202 

Windows10 home

The problem : He said he was using his computer for Virtual reality, apparently it gotten super hot, he suddenly heard a loud sound like something dropped onto a wooden floor, then the PC just turns off all the sudden. Because it was very hot to the touch at the time, he decided to let the computer cool off and go to sleep for the night, but the day after, he tries to turn it on again but it wouldn't turn on.

I told him to try to reseat the RAM and plug in most the basic PSU connection but nothing changes, though it's seem like the RGB light on the case still get power somehow. There is also no lit Q-LED troubleshooting light on the motherboard. So I can't tell if it could be certain part being part, could the motherboard just died? 

He might able to get someone to come in next week to check, so they did told him to not touch too much stuff as he don't know how to handle computer and breaking any part could void warranty, but he need it for his school work so I'm trying to see what it possibly could be until then.

If ya'll have any clue, I'd really appreciate it.

here's a video of him turning it on.

video

Thank you for your help.

I am going to go against what everyone else is saying. Your son is presumably not super tech savvy. You bought a pre-built. It's a less than a week old... 

Don't touch it. Take it back. Let the store deal with it. 

turns out it was indeed the PSU, it was replaced by the A list PSU from this forum, thank you everyone for your suggestion.