5900x started to cold boot under heavy load :(

Go to solution Solved by freeagent,
4 minutes ago, Dacobi said:

How did you find the max?

I experimented with ppt tdc edc with pbo on to find the highest I could run single thread loads and MC loads. Hwinfo64 was a good tool for monitoring. Some Linpack, occt, superpi 32m, and some 3D stuff. A little of everything..

I've been playing with PBO, Curve Optimizer and Ryzen Master to overclock my 5900x

I've run Cinebench and TimeSpy many times and haven't had any crashes while running PGO at 200mhz and Negative 10 on all cores.

Also followed this guide https://albertherd.com/2020/12/13/my-experience-with-precision-boost-overdrive-2-on-a-5900x/

for the power targets in Ryzen Master

Then I tried to set the Curve to negative 15 and then the machine cold booted the second I clicked Run on Cinebench.

And now I can't even use the settings I had before without it cold booting 😞

Is it possible I've damaged the CPU?

if I set PBO to auto it appears I can run Cinebench repeatedly without crashes, but just get low score (~8100).

Also I don't quite understand how to use Ryzen Master. It seems it overrules the settings in the BIOS?

So did you damage your cpu by messing with PBO settings and is it even possible?  

I don’t know if PBO settings can damage hardware or not.  The VRM powers the CPU so it could be a motherboard issue or a CPU issue.  I don’t know. I’m interested in the answer though.  As far as I am currently aware it has become pretty hard to damage a piece of hardware with settings, or even putting on the wrong cooler, because of throttling stuff.  You might get lousy performance but actually doing permanent damage is pretty difficult.  There are usually safety features in place.  PBO is new to me though so if it IS possible to damage hardware with PBO settings I would be interested to know.  I can only say I have heard of people messing with PBO but this is the first time I’ve heard of anyone potentially damaging a system with it.  So pretty unlikely according to what knowledge I have but that isn’t very much.  It’s Saturday early morning in the US.  I don’t know what time it is in other countries that might house people who know such things.  People often have things like lives and jobs, so this one may take some time to get a solid answer for.  I’m sorry I can’t give you one.   There might be one of course.  I just don’t have it. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I think PBO is pretty safe.. but AMD will deny your warranty if you tell them you used it so..

I don't think you hurt your CPU, I do think Ryzen Master is a flaming pile, mostly. You should uninstall it and just use the bios.

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

32 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I think PBO is pretty safe.. but AMD will deny your warranty if you tell them you used it so..

I don't think you hurt your CPU, I do think Ryzen Master is a flaming pile, mostly. You should uninstall it and just use the bios.

But how do I set Power Targets in BIOS?

My motherboard is x570 Aorus Elite.

I've uninstalled Ryzen Master after resetting its settings and enabled my old PBO and Curve setting and have now run Cinebench 3 times in a row without any problems. 

But the score is not as good as with Ryzen Master,

and I can't find power targets in my BIOS?

When I had Ryzen Master installed the limiting factor for clock speed was the PPT/TDC/EDC 

25 minutes ago, Dacobi said:

But how do I set Power Targets in BIOS?

You have to go into PBO and select advanced, from there you can set PPT TDC and EDT. I use the AMD overclocking section in the back for auto type oc.

30 minutes ago, freeagent said:

You have to go into PBO and select advanced, from there you can set PPT TDC and EDT. I use the AMD overclocking section in the back for auto type oc.

Thanks 🙂 I was just blind..

17 minutes ago, Dacobi said:

Thanks 🙂 I was just blind..

All good man! I am blind too..

What was that saying..? NVM 😄

Regarding the PBO power limits, what will happen if I enter values to high?

And how can I find the recommended maximum for my motherboard? (x570 Aorus Elite)

It will boost lower and run hotter. It’s not about what the board can deliver, it’s about what the CPU actually needs. 

Now.. because you entered a value for the limits, doesn’t actually limit it. Example: I have my edc set for 130. But if I run a heavy program like Linpack Xtreme, it will give no fucks upon the limits I have put in place and will proceed to pull the full 180+amp. And the same goes for tdc and ppt. So you aren’t actually putting any limits in place, you are just manipulating not actually controlling. The cpu will cpu with or without you 😛

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

It will boost lower and run hotter. It’s not about what the board can deliver, it’s about what the CPU actually needs. 

Now.. because you entered a value for the limits, doesn’t actually limit it. Example: I have my edc set for 130. But if I run a heavy program like Linpack Xtreme, it will give no fucks upon the limits I have put in place and will proceed to pull the full 180+amp. And the same goes for tdc and ppt. So you aren’t actually putting any limits in place, you are just manipulating not actually controlling. The cpu will cpu with or without you 😛

Hmm.. for me it definitely seems to limit the clock speed. When using Ryzen Master I could see the difference in max all core clock speed when running Cinebench depending on what limits I've set.

Ass soon as one limit was reached (PPT/TDC/EDC) the clock wouldn't go any higher.

I could have one run in Cinebench at a score of ~8200 with clocks at ~4.2ghz, then increase the limits and have another run at ~4.4ghz with a score of ~8400

12 minutes ago, Dacobi said:

Hmm.. for me it definitely seems to limit the clock speed. When using Ryzen Master I could see the difference in max all core clock speed when running Cinebench depending on what limits I've set.

Ass soon as one limit was reached (PPT/TDC/EDC) the clock wouldn't go any higher.

I could have one run in Cinebench at a score of ~8200 with clocks at ~4.2ghz, then increase the limits and have another run at ~4.4ghz with a score of ~8400

Go with what you know 👌🏻

With my 5600X I noted the max it would pull and applied what I saw to bios and it was great. No crashes. I did the same with my 5900X and got terrible results. I just played with it until I found something that worked for me. Being home with the kids I had plenty of time. Either way it is a delicate balance for sure..

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

Go with what you know 👌🏻

With my 5600X I noted the max it would pull and applied what I saw to bios and it was great. No crashes. I did the same with my 5900X and got terrible results. I just played with it until I found something that worked for me. Being home with the kids I had plenty of time. Either way it is a delicate balance for sure..

4 minutes ago, Dacobi said:

I experimented with ppt tdc edc with pbo on to find the highest I could run single thread loads and MC loads. Hwinfo64 was a good tool for monitoring. Some Linpack, occt, superpi 32m, and some 3D stuff. A little of everything..

1 minute ago, freeagent said:

So did you increase limits until they where no longer reached? 

I can only find % monitor of power limits in hwinfo64 but I guess it just have to be below 100%?

I decreased some and increased others 👍🏻