Unable to boot flashing line

MajorFoley

Hi guys so my older PC which im currently using while i wait for RMA doesn't automatically boot into my SSD. It did yesterday but now all i see is a blinking line on boot. However if i go to the boot menu and select my SSD my PC will boot no issues which i didnt have to do yesterday. Do i have a corrupted boot manager? If so how can i repair it This is using the old MBR 

You sure you didn't just forget to set it as first boot priority in BIOS?

18 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

You sure you didn't just forget to set it as first boot priority in BIOS?

100%. Windows boot manager is still first. the Data hard drives aren't.

Have you tried resetting CMOS?

2 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Have you tried resetting CMOS?

Haven't seen a reason to. Literally yesterday it booted up fine. Although it did just install a windows update... Thats the thing i dont see why resetting CMOS would help here? It's not like i changed anything in between

3 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Haven't seen a reason to. Literally yesterday it booted up fine. Although it did just install a windows update... Thats the thing i dont see why resetting CMOS would help here? It's not like i changed anything in between

Resetting CMOS can fix small glitches like the one you're experiencing. I'm not saying it 100% WILL, but there's a chance.

If you go into windows, start run and type msconfig do you see other installations present in there? I think the tab is called 'Boot'.

3 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Resetting CMOS can fix small glitches like the one you're experiencing. I'm not saying it 100% WILL, but there's a chance.

If you go into windows, start run and type msconfig do you see other installations present in there? I think the tab is called 'Boot'.

Nope only the current OS which is default OS in the boot tab.

9 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

Nope only the current OS which is default OS in the boot tab.

Leaning more and more towards a motherboard glitch then.

I mean you COULD try to boot up Windows on a USB and select start repair. See if that fixes it.

4 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Leaning more and more towards a motherboard glitch then.

I mean you COULD try to boot up Windows on a USB and select start repair. See if that fixes it.

I'll do the cmos reset first i mean can't really hurt i guess... just take out the battery for around 5-10 minutes right?

54 minutes ago, MajorFoley said:

I'll do the cmos reset first i mean can't really hurt i guess... just take out the battery for around 5-10 minutes right?

If you remove the power from the PSU (which you should in any case) you don't need to remove the battery for more than 45 seconds to a minute to reset CMOS.

On 7/9/2021 at 5:36 PM, fuzz0r said:

If you remove the power from the PSU (which you should in any case) you don't need to remove the battery for more than 45 seconds to a minute to reset CMOS.

It's fixed and im an idiot. So i took out the SSD and gave it fresh install and put it in another system that i was testing to see if defective install or CPU trouble. I think when i put it back in it changed the boot order but there was also a boot order BBS or something and it had to be changed to SSD from there or the SSD itself wouldn't show on the actual boot priority area. So at least thats resolved :)