Need help DOWNGRADING Graphics Card (gtx 1050 to gtx 210)

Lafosse64
Go to solution Solved by Bananasplit_00,

This is the way I'd do it:

Download the installer for the latest nvidia drivers supported by that card from NVIDIAs website

Run Display Driver Uninstaller

Power down and swap the cards

Boot into Windows, the basic display driver from M$ will be used automatically

Now run the driver installer you fetched in the first step and you're done. You've now got a clean install of the best driver for your new card, this is how I'd go about any graphics card swap.

Hey guys, im new here. I need some help PLEASE! Im building a new pc for my son and I have everything i need except for a graphics card. The thing is i already have an MSI gtx 1050 2gb in my office PC but i dont use it there since i never play there, i just need it for display since the CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600 and doesnt have an integrated graphics card. I have just acquired an Asus gt 210 silent 1gb and i want to swap the cards so i can use the 1050 for my son and leave the 210 for my office pc just for video display. I really dont want to mess anything up so i have some questions. 
1) Do I need to uninstall all drivers for the gtx 1050 before taking it out? and then after installing the new graphics card and booting up install drivers for the gt 210? or will the Nvidia drivers already installed will recognise the new graphics card and install its driver automatically?  
2) If the answer is yes, how would the procedure go, after i uninstall the gtx 1050 drivers i wouldn't have video display in my monitor right? or should i just swap cards, turn on the pc and will i get image even if i have not intalled any new drivers yet? 
3) Just to be sure: the gtx 1050 uses a 6pin cable to power it up, the gt 210 doesn't have any way to plug it since its passive cooling, i dont have to worry about it right? i just have to put the new card in the motherboard, screw it to the case and thas it right? 

Im very new in this, this is the first time i will ever do anything to a PC by myself and i really want to get it done right. Thanks in advance. If anyone could give me a procedure to step by step do the switch would be AMAZING! I've searched all over the internet but every guide and video is about UPGRADING the graphics card and apparently im the first person in the world who needs to downgrade. 

210.PNG

1050.PNG

Edited by Lafosse64
correcting some errors

4 minutes ago, Lafosse64 said:

1) Do I need to uninstall all drivers for the gtx 1050 before taking it out? and then after installing the new graphics card and booting up install drivers for the gt 210? or will the Nvidia drivers already installed will recognise the new graphics card and install its driver automatically?  
2) If the answer is yes, how would the procedure go, after i uninstall the gtx 1050 drivers i wouldn't have video display in my monitor right? or should i just swap cards, turn on the pc and will i get image even if i have not intalled any new drivers yet? 
3) Just to be sure: the gtx 1050 uses a 6pin cable to power it up, the gt 210 doesn't have any way to plug it since its passive cooling, i dont have to worry about it right? i just have to put the new card in the motherboard, screw it to the case and thas it right? 

1. Uninstall Drivers first, this will save you any headaches

2. Yes, Microsoft usually uses at least basic display drives (and sometimes installs a older driver version) so that you can at least get the graphics driver

3. Should be fine, the 210 is an entry card, doesnt require much power. The 6 Pin is used because the 1050ti needs more power than the PCIe slot can provide. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1: No (you don't need to do it to get a video output)

2: See answer 1 (Windows does it automatically)

3: Yes (All the power comes through the PCI-e slot)

Edited by Zongohihello
clarification

18 minutes ago, Lafosse64 said:

Do I need to uninstall all drivers for the gtx 1050 before taking it out?

no.

19 minutes ago, Lafosse64 said:

or will the Nvidia drivers already installed will recognise the new graphics card and install its driver automatically?  

you wont need drivers for basic display.

19 minutes ago, Lafosse64 said:

Just to be sure: the gtx 1050 uses a 6pin cable to power it up, the gt 210 doesn't have any way to plug it since its passive cooling, i dont have to worry about it right? i just have to put the new card in the motherboard, screw it to the case and thas it right? 

yes. your gt210 will get all the power fromt the pcie slot you are putting it into. 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

2 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

no.

you wont need drivers for basic display.

yes. your gt210 will get all the power fromt the pcie slot you are putting it into. 

So, i dont need to do anything? I just swap graphics cards and leave it like that? I should add that i do have GeForce Experience with the driver's lastest version. I should just leave all of that in there and let my pc handle the new gt 210? 

3 minutes ago, Lafosse64 said:

I just swap graphics cards and leave it like that?

yeah. or you can uninstall drivers, but i woul+d not use any of my time to that.

4 minutes ago, Lafosse64 said:

I should just leave all of that in there and let my pc handle the new gt 210? 

So you have the newest drivers for 1050? that can be an issue since gt210 newest drivers are older than 1050's since Nvidia dropped new driver support for ther gt210 a while back.

So do a DDU, so it completely uninstall the drivers.

you wont lose the signal to your screen by doing that.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

This is the way I'd do it:

Download the installer for the latest nvidia drivers supported by that card from NVIDIAs website

Run Display Driver Uninstaller

Power down and swap the cards

Boot into Windows, the basic display driver from M$ will be used automatically

Now run the driver installer you fetched in the first step and you're done. You've now got a clean install of the best driver for your new card, this is how I'd go about any graphics card swap.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

yeah. or you can uninstall drivers, but i woul+d not use any of my time to that.

So you have the newest drivers for 1050? that can be an issue since gt210 newest drivers are older than 1050's since Nvidia dropped new driver support for ther gt210 a while back.

So do a DDU, so it completely uninstall the drivers.

you wont lose the signal to your screen by doing that.

oh that sucks. ok so DDU is Display Driver Uninstaller right? i saw a video about that before coming here but i was hoping i wouldnt need it. I guess I just follow insctructions from any video using it, uninstall the drivers, swap cards and install new drivers then. Is it possible to install the gt210 drivers before swaping cards? or should i have the gt 210 installed first. 

1 minute ago, Lafosse64 said:

Is it possible to install the gt210 drivers before swaping cards? or should i have the gt 210 installed first.

After the DDU is complete and all the drivers are uninstalled, take the 1050 off and put your gt210 in. after that install drivers. 

so you sohuld have the gt210 when installing drivers.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler