PS5 Audio delay on Dolby

holyboredom

Current set up: Sony XBR 65X850E, Sonos Beam (with surrounds and sub) connected via ARC (not eARC), PS5 (Duh)

Sonos does not support DTS. PS5 does not transcode DTS to Dolby (unlike the ps4)

Audio Delay of a few milliseconds. I have done a few things to mitigate it, but its still not perfect. 

TV doesn't allow me to adjust for delay, nor does it allow passthrough. 

PS5 4K Transfer rate has been set to -2 (which has made most of the difference in reducing latency).

Audio delay was most noticeable during cutscenes in Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart. 

Also very apparent in Astro's Playroom. (Controller and TV audio are off by half a second and is insanely distracting.

Does ANYONE have ANY suggestions. I don't want to spend over 2 grand on a new TV and Sonos Arc (to get the eARC support).

PS: I'm seeing audio delays being a HUGE issue for the PS5. Has Sony said anything regarding any patches? 

That tv has an audio out which will have no delay. try it and see if it fixes it.

@emosun I just tried it. The audio is still delayed. Since the sonos beam doesnt have an optical port I have to use an optical adapter on the hdmi cable. 

Not sure what to do at this point. Severely disappointing. 

do the tv speakers themselves have a delay?

How's it all connected?

I've got a different tv and soundbar but I had my PS5 pass through to the soundbar to the TV. The PS5 didn't like it. No 4k HDR, audio issues (not playing 5.1) (Even though the soundbar supports it). I had to change it and use the TV to pass though the sound instead. Configure the TV for the audio and the PS5 (even though it's a soundbar with rears, I used "amplifier" on the ps5, with 5.1 speakers and configured the position of the speakers). I still occasionally have HDR not supported issue and have to reboot the PS5 to get it to work as well as configure the speakers again, it some times changes the speakers back to "TV" instead of "amplifier".

Proud owner of a custom water cooled Ryzen 1400. 5800x  

I think I got it to work!

@emosun The speakers themselves didn't have a delay and I noticed that Linear PCM (though outputting at 2.0 and being VERY soft) was synced correctly.

So I used that as my base to measure dolby's. I connected my soundbar via my tv's audio out port as you suggested. 

The TV was tricky, I had read many reports about setting my tv to passthrough the audio, but that nomenclature isn't present in the tv.

@Npiet1I tried amplifier, but that didn't give me any noticeable change. Luckily the RTings site had a large article regarding passthrough for different TV sets and I had to enable 3 different toggles on my tv to allow it.

My Sony TV in particular needed to have Bravia Sync enabled, It's Audio setting set to Audio 1, and (obviously) set the tv to Audio System (which was already enabled).

The Bravia Sync was the biggest kicker because its not found in Audio or Video settings, but in a "Watching TV" setting in the main settings menu. How anyone is supposed to know that not only this exists, but that it's the only way to properly enable passthrough on a Sony TV is beyond me.

Long story short, through keyword searches and 3 liters of diet coke (and only 1 cry sesh). i was able to get Dolby Audio to match Linear PCM's timing and successfully resolved the issue.

May have spoken too soon. Am trying to play cyberpunk 2077 but I’m noticing the same audio delay. I also know this game is known for its bugs. I will retry my previous pass through set up and retry AVR to TV as suggested. 

This seems to be a pretty widespread issue. It’s infuriating.