Server case mod

Hi all,

First things first first time poster here however not new to LTT. 

I have recently purchased a hp ProLiant dl580 G7 server second hand with 32 cores and 230gb of ram. I want to use it in my home lab however the fans are extremely loud to the point where if I put it in another room and close the door, I can still hear it.

I have tried to go into ILO, changing the power management settings in the bios (which helped a bit but not much) and my latest attempt has been to replace the fans all together. I replaced the 4 92mm fans with 4 Arctic F9 PWM fans. This unfortunately also did not work because now my ram is overheating becaus i dont have enough airflow. I have seen only one other solution to my problem which involves getting an Arduino board and soldering the control wires to it to control the fans that way however this is something I really do not want to do. 

So now for my question… does anyone have any ideas on how to make my server quieter / replace the fans / mod the case?

04.jpeg

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

03.jpeg

10 hours ago, thatonewierdghost said:

Hi all,

First things first first time poster here however not new to LTT. 

I have recently purchased a hp ProLiant dl580 G7 server second hand with 32 cores and 230gb of ram. I want to use it in my home lab however the fans are extremely loud to the point where if I put it in another room and close the door, I can still hear it.

I have tried to go into ILO, changing the power management settings in the bios (which helped a bit but not much) and my latest attempt has been to replace the fans all together. I replaced the 4 92mm fans with 4 Arctic F9 PWM fans. This unfortunately also did not work because now my ram is overheating becaus i dont have enough airflow. I have seen only one other solution to my problem which involves getting an Arduino board and soldering the control wires to it to control the fans that way however this is something I really do not want to do. 

So now for my question… does anyone have any ideas on how to make my server quieter / replace the fans / mod the case?

04.jpeg

01.jpeg

02.jpeg

03.jpeg

try under voting em

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

the only way i can see that will work to make your server quiter is to put it in another room. linus did something like this with his server in which it was in a room where he surrounded it with foam on the walls to dampen the sound of it and had it with its own intake and ventalation to make sure it still had moving air to keep it cool.

20 hours ago, thatonewierdghost said:

. This unfortunately also did not work because now my ram is overheating becaus i dont have enough airflow. I have seen only one other solution to my problem which involves getting an Arduino board and soldering the control wires to it to control the fans that way however this is something I really do not want to do. 

The arduino wouldn't work for you anyways, would it? If your ram is overheating with the arctic fans, it will still overheat with the arduino. (I am thinking that all it does is allow you to lower the stock fan speeds, thus reducing your needed air flow) 

Try leaving the top off and using a house fan blowing directly at it? Inelegant but potentially effective. 

22 hours ago, tdkid said:

the only way i can see that will work to make your server quiter is to put it in another room. linus did something like this with his server in which it was in a room where he surrounded it with foam on the walls to dampen the sound of it and had it with its own intake and ventalation to make sure it still had moving air to keep it cool.

Hmm yea i was thinking about getting a rack and putting sound insulation on the inside. Heat will be an issue tho... but i guess a air-conditioning unit will fix that. Thanks for the advice😁

16 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

The arduino wouldn't work for you anyways, would it? If your ram is overheating with the arctic fans, it will still overheat with the arduino. (I am thinking that all it does is allow you to lower the stock fan speeds, thus reducing your needed air flow) 

Try leaving the top off and using a house fan blowing directly at it? Inelegant but potentially effective. 

No the arduino was ment to slow down the original fans that were in the server thus making them less loud. However that would be a realy time intensive project just to make a server quieter. 

The big house fan might be an idear tho.🤔

46 minutes ago, thatonewierdghost said:

No the arduino was ment to slow down the original fans that were in the server thus making them less loud. However that would be a realy time intensive project just to make a server quieter. 

The big house fan might be an idear tho.🤔

That is EXACTLY what I said. It will lower the fan speeds. Reducing airflow. Causing overheating.

6 hours ago, thatonewierdghost said:

Hmm yea i was thinking about getting a rack and putting sound insulation on the inside. Heat will be an issue tho... but i guess a air-conditioning unit will fix that. Thanks for the advice😁

if you put sound insulation on the inside, it will most likely cut all airflow which will lead to massive overheating and the unit dying because of it. i would look up linus tech tips server because he does several videos on his own server for the media warehouse and for his home.