Internet speed

Bakisha

I currently have a Zyxel router. I forgot the exact model name, but... It has both connections. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. When I'm connected on 5GHz in my living room (where my router is located). On a bad day, I get about 150 Megabits/s. On the regular I get about 230 - 250 Megabits/s, and on the good days, I get about 310 Megabits/s. My PC is way too far away from my router, so I cannot use my 5GHz Wi-Fi. Due to that reason, I've came up with the idea of using Ethernet. I'm not exactly sure if it's worth it. Hence the reason why I'm making this post. How many Megabits per second should I get while using my ethernet connection? I know that on my PS4 (that is next to my router), I get better download speed without using the LAN cable. Will the same case be for my PC? I get about 50 Megabits/s on my PC and I'm kinda expecting near 300 Megabits/s with Ethernet. Also... My NAT type is strict (NAT type 3), if that should be included. 

Do you plan on plugging the Ethernet into the router directly or wiring up your whole house? Regardless of that it should be the same speed however.

5 minutes ago, zachb2185 said:

Do you plan on plugging the Ethernet into the router directly or wiring up your whole house? Regardless of that it should be the same speed however.

I plan on directly pairing my PC with my Router with the LAN cable.

8 minutes ago, Bakisha said:

How many Megabits per second should I get while using my ethernet connection?

Whatever you are paying for. If you pay for 300Mbps, you should get 300 when using Ethernet. If you pay for 500Mbps, you should get 500.

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Whatever you are paying for. If you pay for 300Mbps, you should get 300 when using Ethernet. If you pay for 500Mbps, you should get 500.

I see.. I remember when I used the powerline adapter. It was a TP-Link one. It was awful. Limited my download speed to exactly 20 Megabits/s. I'm really hoping that it isn't the same with direct pairing. 

1 minute ago, Benji said:

No, it isn't going to be like that over direct Ethernet. That powerline is unreliable is nothing new, and that they are far away from their advertised speed isn't unknown either. Mine achieved ~100 Mbit/s at times to just completely give out for multiple hours in the evening. Either direct Ethernet, close-proximity (access point in the same room) WiFi 5 (802.11ac) 2x2 or WiFi 6 (802.11ax) or nothing. Powerline, G.hn and whatever are usually unreliable or don't offer anywhere near the speed they're being advertised with.

But this paradox that you have where your PS4 is downloading faster over WiFi than it is over direct Ethernet seems to be standard on PlayStations as my PlayStation 3 did the same crap for some reason that remains unsolved.

I see.. Thank you! I shall now... Try to convince my parents to *allow* me to have a long cable going through the whole house.