SSD "corrupted", but still works (kind of)

Zmimgo

From macOS Disk Utility:

obj_checksum_verify_phys:70: failed: cksum 0xd2f009edbfe02788, oid 0x7d7c80cf9a768f2f, type 0x5fe14bdd/0xc3d9efc4, size 4096

nx_corruption_detected_int:57: Container corruption detected by obj_checksum_verify_phys:72!

spaceman_allocated:1122: rdisk5s3 failed to read cib 0: 92

newfs_apfs: unable to format /dev/disk5s3: Illegal byte sequence

spaceman initialization failed: 92 - Illegal byte sequence

The drive has Windows 10 installed on it... and it boots*. Huh.

*Booting takes like 1 minute and Windows it usable... as long as you don't write any data (not even recovery mode works wtf)

Clearly, the SSD "works", but writing doesn't work, formatting doesn't work, not even diskutil (both on Windows, macOS and Ubuntu) does anything.

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to try out? The drive is a cheapo TeamGroup one called the GT1 (T253T1120G0C101) 128GB version (I know it's very bad but it can be useful for a cache).

Dont know about you.

But eh...i got the problem on my secondary PC, SSD was corrupted and whenever i started my PC, Windows entered in Recovery mode or Disk error or something, can't really remember what is was.

But SSD was corrupted and wont work even in my primary PC, it would hang every PC, i plug it into.

So, data was lost on the drive.

If you have sensitive data on your drive then i will recommend backing it all up, and discarding the drive.

53 minutes ago, Abdullah Bhutta said:

But SSD was corrupted and wont work even in my primary PC, it would hang every PC, i plug it into.

So, data was lost on the drive.

If you have sensitive data on your drive then i will recommend backing it all up, and discarding the drive.

I actually don't have anything valueable on that drive, mostly some programs and maybe some activated programs (which I can solve with contacting the software maker), but my main problem isn't that the drive is fully corruped, I just can not write or reformat the drive or on the partitions. Reading (and by extent copying) files works no problem, but writing data is not even possible. That's backed up by why I don't think Recovery Mode (Windows 10 boot recovery mode) doesn't work, because the memory can't dump the instructions to boot in Recovery Mode to the SSD, and the SSD just thinks it's a normal boot. The drive worked alright some months ago but suddently stopped working properly. Here is a screenshot of the drive in Finder:

image.png.10d1a6507d8b5f27b0a2f63badf8c4de.png

The drive in it's current state is read-only, and not even formatting gets rid of the Windows partition. There are other partitions (boot partitions for Windows) that also can't be deleted or reformated. I would guess there was some error and the error made an unfixable error which leads to errors when trying to format the drive.

No data was lost, and there isn't any valuable data. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to maybe bypass corruptions, because the drive clearly techincally works.

I would suggest checking the write endurance left on the drive, people seem to forget that SSD's are a consumable.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

On 7/4/2021 at 6:08 PM, Falconevo said:

I would suggest checking the write endurance left on the drive, people seem to forget that SSD's are a consumable.

The problem is that none of the SMART reading works, except for the error counter.

6 hours ago, Zongohihello said:

The problem is that none of the SMART reading works, except for the error counter.

Then it is very likely you have exceeded the write endurance of the drive.  I have seen similar behaviour on SSD controllers in the past when a drive has expired all its flash write endurance.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

After some deeper investigation I can now say that the SSD apparentally is "frozen", but regular fixes don't work. After using badblocks on Ubuntu, it said that almost all bits were outputting the wrong thing. That either means that it didn't write anything, or the bits are just corrupted.

Does anyone here know how to get a drive out of frozen mode, preferably using some Linux distrobution. Booting up Windows doesn't work (many others say that work).