Socket Pin created this mark on i9 9900KF

Hi,

When switching CPU, i got a cloth stuck on the socket pin cleaning thermal paste (yes i know big dumb move). Anyway, the motherboard was broken and no longer worked. I ordered a new motherboard and put my old CPU into it. I'm a bit hesitant whether I should put my 9900KF into the new motherboard as i dont know if it will damage the new motherboard. I am currently using my i5 9600KF (which was the CPU i was using anyway) in my new motherboard as that has no damage on it. I cannot tell in the images below if any of the land grid array pads have taken damage from pressure from the pin or if its a potential burn mark. Oh and, the lighting is just bad on the bottom image. Apart from the clear damage in the top right, everything around it looks like brand new.

Will putting it in a new motherboard damage the new motherboard socket? Do you even think it will still work? Was the pad damaged an important one?

mark zoomed.jpg

Screenshot_54.png

That is 100% burn mark. 
DO NOT use in a new board, it needs to be cleaned and then tested in something "Expendable" as in old or something you just don't care about losing if it has to go.
Yes:

2 hours ago, buzz456 said:

cloth stuck on the socket pin

That did it for sure, lack of pressure to that pad from the pin in the socket.
Either way, don't risk it with a new board - Test it as suggested.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

That is 100% burn mark. 
DO NOT use in a new board, it needs to be cleaned and then tested in something "Expendable" as in old or something you just don't care about losing if it has to go.
Yes:

That did it for sure, lack of pressure to that pad from the pin in the socket.
Either way, don't risk it with a new board - Test it as suggested.

clean with what

Acetone works fine and used with a paper towel should do it.
Just don't let it make contact with anything plastic.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

38 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Acetone works fine and used with a paper towel should do it.
Just don't let it make contact with anything plastic.

happened with me too and it's not that much dark tho, does IPA (iso propyl alcohol) work instead of acetone?

Can't hurt to try it.

2 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Can't hurt to try it.

so nail remover will work fine? do it with a cotton bud or paper towel/tissue?

9 minutes ago, buzz456 said:

so nail remover will work fine? do it with a cotton bud or paper towel/tissue?

Yes, all that is OK but I believe you'd do best with a paper towel.

3 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Can't hurt to try it.

Yosh!

I will try IPA then.

👍

13 minutes ago, Orian Pax said:

Yosh!

I will try IPA then.

👍

could i see a picture of your 9900KF burn mark

looking at the pic, it looks like a burn mark which to me means that the pins are shorting out and its probably not safe to use that board or CPU. but that is just my opinion since i cant see it very well enough or seen it enough to tell you that, that is what it is.

4 hours ago, tdkid said:

looking at the pic, it looks like a burn mark which to me means that the pins are shorting out and its probably not safe to use that board or CPU. but that is just my opinion since i cant see it very well enough or seen it enough to tell you that, that is what it is.

the board was bad yes because i managed to bend a few pins which line up to that burn mark.

14 hours ago, buzz456 said:

could i see a picture of your 9900KF burn mark

well i i don't have them on my phone right now,
but i had created a topic regarding it. And it's not 9900KF it's a i5-6500.

here you can find some of those pics -

• 1 month later...

Socket Pin created this mark on i9 9900KF. Is it okay to test in new motherboard ? Could something bad happen ? I'm a tad lost. There is nobody online with the exact same issue that i am currently facing.

So a quick run down, i was cleaning the processor socket and got a cloth stuck in it. Tested new cpu in that socket to see if the socket would still work. Socket didnt work. CPU became damaged on the back clearly. Ordered a new motherboard and currently using my old cpu. In the images below, i have lined up what pin was damaged and where i believe the damage was taken onboard. Is this safe to try? Can it short my new motherboard?

(in one of the images below, i was able to pinpoint the area of damage and that it was a VCC pad that looked to be damaged. Now, some people have said don't try it and others have said that a damaged VCC pad can be fine, it just means the others will have to take on a higher voltage to make up for the missing pad. The coloured in cyan box part is an error. It should be an L shape, not a T shape as you can see from the image is corresponds too, its just that one pad that is damaged, the image quality just isnt high enough to show that. 

imapct.png

Screenshot_54.png

cpu damage zone 2.png

Well it doesn't seem to have shorted with anything else that could damage the CPU, which is a good sign.  I can only guess the pin wasn't making good contact so its heated up causing that mark.

I'd obviously give it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol before trying of course, but I think its likely to be fine.

Lesson learned, don't try and clean a CPU socket unless the CPU is in it at the time.  I trashed one trying to get a tiny bit of thermal compound out of it, been extra careful since.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) + GL.iNet GL-X3000/ Spitz AX WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

surely with half a gold pad missing though, the isopropyl alcohol could cause damage to the internal cpu ? what is the benefit of cleaning it?

4 minutes ago, buzz456 said:

surely with half a gold pad missing though, the isopropyl alcohol could cause damage to the internal cpu ? what is the benefit of cleaning it?

Isopropyl alcohol will completely evaporate and will remove any water from the surface. it's usually the safest way to clean electronics. You can even do things like putting a whole GPU or motherboard in an ultrasonic cleaner full of it to clean them.

Just make sure it's the 90% or better. Don't use the 70% because it has a lot more water in it. And make sure you let it dry/evaporate (no more than a couple minutes) before using it. I keep a bottle of 91% around for cleaning my electronics.

so 91% shall clean that correctly, wait for it to evaporate then test it? will the isopropyl alcohol damage the cpu when cleaning up the top end of that particular pad?

Mmmmm LGA 775...

Get some 91% alcohol and just go ham. If you clean it and it damages the CPU, then you're no farther behind than you currently are. If you don't clean it, and put it in your new board and it has too much resistance, you will probably take out your new motherboard and be farther behind, since then you will need a CPU and board.

If you clean it and it works fine, then you're ahead, since you don't need to replace anything else.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

lga 775? this is lga 1151 lol

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Well it doesn't seem to have shorted with anything else that could damage the CPU, which is a good sign.  I can only guess the pin wasn't making good contact so its heated up causing that mark.

I'd obviously give it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol before trying of course, but I think its likely to be fine.

Lesson learned, don't try and clean a CPU socket unless the CPU is in it at the time.  I trashed one trying to get a tiny bit of thermal compound out of it, been extra careful since.

Hi, havent spoke in a while. I have since cleaned the cpu and this is what it looks like underneath. Doesn't look great. One of the pads looks burnt. No idea what that means for the rest of the cpu or that individual VCC pad.

clean 1.jpg

clean 2.jpg

clean 3.jpg

Socket Pin created this mark on i9 9900KF. Is it okay to test in new motherboard ? Could something bad happen ? I'm a tad lost. There is nobody online with the exact same issue that i am currently facing.

So a quick run down, i was cleaning the processor socket and got a cloth stuck in it. Tested new cpu in that socket to see if the socket would still work. Socket didnt work. CPU became damaged on the back clearly. Ordered a new motherboard and currently using my old cpu. In the images below, i have lined up what pin was damaged and where i believe the damage was taken onboard. Is this safe to try? Can it short my new motherboard?

(in one of the images below, i was able to pinpoint the area of damage and that it was a VCC pad that looked to be damaged. Now, some people have said don't try it and others have said that a damaged VCC pad can be fine, it just means the others will have to take on a higher voltage to make up for the missing pad. The coloured in cyan box part is an error. It should be an L shape, not a T shape as you can see from the image is corresponds too, its just that one pad that is damaged, the image quality just isnt high enough to show that. 

I have since cleaned the CPU with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Now, what this means for cpu itself, i don't know. 

Tagged below now will be images as detailed above and images of the cpu post cleaned. 

clean 1.jpg

clean 2.jpg

clean 3.jpg

cpu damage zone 2.png

1819690935_cpudamagezone.png

imapct.png

Screenshot_54.png

You have a cpu with damaged VCC pads, the gold pad is missing somewhat for them. Since it's VCC it might be getting enough power from the other pads.

Or, it might be an issue, and you could try to get it to connect those VCC pins to others.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You have a cpu with damaged VCC pads, the gold pad is missing somewhat for them. Since it's VCC it might be getting enough power from the other pads.

Or, it might be an issue, and you could try to get it to connect those VCC pins to others.

Need to dumb the last part please

1 minute ago, buzz456 said:

Need to dumb the last part please

Find a way to connect the pins to the other pads marked with the same thing,

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler