Grammarly not Functioning Properly and Backup Codes Question/Concern

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

Grammarly doesn't work properly in the editor, and causes random extra stuff to get added to your posts, so we disable it.

It is expected that if you have any 2FA methods enabled, you are prompted for them every time you log in - that is the main place that it's used. When you're running low on codes, you should get a warning about it, but I don't remember if there are failsafes beyond that. If someone did manage to run out, in the worst case they could use the forum support link to get help recovering access. That is definitely not the intended way to use backup codes though.

Browser, version and OS:     Google Chrome Version 91.0.4472.114 (Official Build) (64-bit), Windows 10 Professional

Good morning/evening,

I have the Grammarly for Chrome extension enabled for linustechtips.com, although I am not seeing any suggestions in the post editor. I remember being able to use Grammarly before on the forum, although am not sure why it isn't working any longer? The basic spell check in Chrome works well enough for typos, although it is nice to have some more advanced spelling/grammar checking. Also, if I go to Account Settings --> Security and Privacy --> Configure Two Factor Authentication, and enable Backup Codes, it is asking for a backup code every time that I login. I was thinking that you would only need to use the codes if questionable login activity was detected, such as logging in from a new device / location. The forum software is letting me enable Backup Codes without first having enabled Google Authenticator and/or Email recovery, since these Backup Codes are can only be used once, wouldn't a user get locked out of their account once they ran out of codes (accidentally logging out without remembering that they need to go back to Account Settings for new codes)?

image.png.cb5da6006220b934fbe6c73e0234fb12.png

image.png.68bbd38a8cf18df3410af962a3b106dd.png

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,

@Boomwebsearch

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Grammarly doesn't work properly in the editor, and causes random extra stuff to get added to your posts, so we disable it.

It is expected that if you have any 2FA methods enabled, you are prompted for them every time you log in - that is the main place that it's used. When you're running low on codes, you should get a warning about it, but I don't remember if there are failsafes beyond that. If someone did manage to run out, in the worst case they could use the forum support link to get help recovering access. That is definitely not the intended way to use backup codes though.

HTTP/2 203

15 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Can't you just disable 2FA then reenable it to get a new set of codes?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 7/3/2021 at 12:13 PM, Master Disaster said:

Can't you just disable 2FA then reenable it to get a new set of codes?

Yes, but the user needs to kick if off themselves so they actually save the new codes. 

HTTP/2 203