1080p vs 1440p Ultrawide; Is it worth nearly 2x the cost?

Eat Soup

I am in the Canadian market for an ultrawide monitor. Is 3440 x 1440 enough of a difference from 2560 x 1080 to justify an extra 60% in cost? I would like some suggestions and opinions from users who have experience with 1080p and 1440p monitors or if you have experience with ultrawide monitors. In addition, what is a good monitor size for each respective resolution (1080p and 1440p ultrawide)? I am looking for a monitor in the $300 - 500 CAD range for general use and it would be great too if you could directly suggest a monitor.

3 minutes ago, Eat Soup said:

I am in the Canadian market for an ultrawide monitor. Is 3440 x 1440 enough of a difference from 2560 x 1080 to justify an extra 60% in cost? I would like some suggestions and opinions from users who have experience with 1080p and 1440p monitors or if you have experience with ultrawide monitors. In addition, what is a good monitor size for each respective resolution (1080p and 1440p ultrawide)? I am looking for a monitor in the $300 - 500 CAD range for general use and it would be great too if you could directly suggest a monitor.

I have a 1440p ultrawide myself and I would never go back to anything less. 1440p is really just the sweet spot and I can tell the difference between it and 1080p but some people probably can't. I would definitely say an ultrawide is better than 16:9 but again that would just depend on personal preference.  Having the extra horizontal real-estate is much more immersive in games and allows for multi-tasking better.  

Bottom line is I would say yes it is definitely worth it. I'm pretty sure if you look around the price difference isn't always a 60% increase, just depends on what you look at and what features you want.

with the right card, DLSS, and games which will actually show off the pixel density (27in 1440p is great, pair of 24in 1080p looks the same) My wife runs a pair of LG 1080p ultrawides. They look awesome and do everything she needs for work/school with 4 documents up at once, never needed 1440p and it really won't improve her workflow or gaming experience at all.

https://www.amazon.ca/LG-29UM69G-B-21-Ultrawide-Monitor-29/dp/B06Y634VP9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ultrawide+lg&qid=1625186972&sr=8-3

Have to use display port for 75hz and full colour. Definitely recommend a $50-75 monitor arm as well since the stand is lacking adjustment.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

16 minutes ago, Prometheus935 said:

I have a 1440p ultrawide myself and I would never go back to anything less. 1440p is really just the sweet spot and I can tell the difference between it and 1080p but some people probably can't. I would definitely say an ultrawide is better than 16:9 but again that would just depend on personal preference.  Having the extra horizontal real-estate is much more immersive in games and allows for multi-tasking better.  

Bottom line is I would say yes it is definitely worth it. I'm pretty sure if you look around the price difference isn't always a 60% increase, just depends on what you look at and what features you want.

In that case, I have been looking at these two monitors: https://www.amazon.ca/Acer-CB342CK-smiiphzx-UltraWide-Technology/dp/B07ZL57G3Z/ref=sr_1_75?dchild=1&keywords=1440%2Bmonitor&qid=1625179106&refinements=p_36%3A30000-50000&rnid=12035759011&sr=8-75&th=1

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16824475091?Description=gaming monitor&cm_re=gaming_monitor-_-24-475-091-_-Product

Is the msi worth $100 more than the acer? As far as I can tell, the advantage of the msi is that it is curved, has slightly better refresh rate (75 to 100hz) and seems to have better contrast. I would also question the two monitors in terms of reliability. Acer makes some very reliable monitors, but I have no experience with MSI.

So I jumped on the train early with the PG348Q back in 2017 or so. Essentially immediately right after it was launched. 3440x1440, 100Hz, true G-Sync, IPS. I still use this thing to this day and will never go back to 16x9. The alternative to my PG348Q back then was the Acer X34 with essentially the same specs. The Acer you linked is a far inferior product to the old X34 from 2017.

2560x1080 ultrawides don't really make much sense to me. You're looking at vertical resolution from 15 years ago. Don't do that to yourself.

100Hz 3440x1440 Ultrawides in 2021 at $500 I think is a fair price. I paid $1300 for mine back in 2017 and the reason they're that price now is the current crop of high end 3440x1440 ultrawides have significantly moved up in performance and are still over $1000. The MSI you linked for a low end 3440x1440 ultrawide will still be a good experience. 

The next step up that I want to upgrade to are the 38" 3840x1600 panels from LG. Problem is they're $1600.

9 minutes ago, Eat Soup said:

Is the msi worth $100 more than the acer? As far as I can tell, the advantage of the msi is that it is curved, has slightly better refresh rate (75 to 100hz) and seems to have better contrast. I would also question the two monitors in terms of reliability. Acer makes some very reliable monitors, but I have no experience with MSI.

I have an Acer which is about 4 years old now and haven't had a problem so far. Never had a MSI one before so can't say what they are like but there other products are usually great so wouldn't see why the monitors would be any different.

As for the two you have shown the MSI would be would I would go for. It's got a higher refresh rate, and much higher contrast ratio, a nice 1500R curve. Personally I would say those differences are worth the added cost but will depend on whether those things will bother you or not.

The AOC CU34G2X might be worth a look. It's a little more expensive than both of them but it's a really good value 3440x1440 144Hz option below $500.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.