Is 8 pin cpu eps to dual 8 pin pcie adapter safe to use?

Mango Milkshake

EPS has another 12V line that maps to ground for PCIe. So if you try to plug in a EPS line into a PCIe plug, you'll kill the card.

The geek himself.

10 minutes ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

EPS has another 12V line that maps to ground for PCIe. So if you try to plug in a EPS line into a PCIe plug, you'll kill the card.

As long as that extra 12v line is unused it should be fine

Pcie connector has 3 12v lines

Eps has 4 12v lines

And from what i see on the picture, only 3 yellow cables (12v lines) are being used, and i bet 1 of the ground wires have been wired to become 2 ground wires to compensate for the lack of 1 ground wire, should be ok

You should never adapt power. If your current PSU does not have the required connectors, the proper and best thing to do is buy a proper PSU to suit your needs.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I am trying to imagine the circumstance where it would make any sense to use this thing and failing.

I have a "spare" 8pin EPS in my system but I can't get a PSU with PCIe power for my GPU???

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

This seems like a really bad idea.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D || GPU: Gigabyte Windforce RTX 4090 || Memory: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz DDR4 || Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk || SSD1: 500 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 (OS drive) || SSD2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SATA (Cache Drive via PrimoCache) || Spinning Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital Blue HDD (RAID 0) || Monitor: LG CX 55" OLED TV || Sound: Schiit Stack (Modi 2/Magni 3) - Sennheiser HD 598, HiFiMan HE 400i || Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL || Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed || PSU: EVGA 1300-watt G+ PSU || Case: Fractal Design Pop XL Air

Dangerous still. This is a VERY bad idea.

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

As long as that extra 12v line is unused it should be fine

Pcie connector has 3 12v lines

Eps has 4 12v lines

And from what i see on the picture, only 3 yellow cables (12v lines) are being used, and i bet 1 of the ground wires have been wired to become 2 ground wires to compensate for the lack of 1 ground wire, should be ok

The geek himself.

Which power supply do you have? Why do you need more PCIe connectors than what the PSU provides? System specs?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

Dangerous still. This is a VERY bad idea.

As long as the cable isnt total garbage it should be ok ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

Then again you know me and ill cheap out on anything, so if a 500w psu is enough but it doesnt have any pcie cables then ill just add them via adapters cause in my mind "what could possibly go wrong ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ "

36 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Then again you know me and ill cheap out on anything, so if a 500w psu is enough but it doesnt have any pcie cables then ill just add them via adapters cause in my mind "what could possibly go wrong ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ "

If a 500W PSU doesn't have any PCIe power cables, you shouldn't be using it because:

1. It's very old

2. It's garbage and will kill things

As for OP, it is technically safe but don't use it.

If your PSU doesn't have the connectors you need, get a better PSU.

elephants

32 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

If a 500W PSU doesn't have any PCIe power cables, you shouldn't be using it because:

1. It's very old

2. It's garbage and will kill things

As for OP, it is technically safe but don't use it.

If your PSU doesn't have the connectors you need, get a better PSU.

Ive been running my freaking p5q pro that has a snapped off pin on the socket on like 13-14v on the 12v rail and 5.5-6v on the 5v rail with 3.3v being terminally at 2.8-3v

It still works so ¯\_ (ツ) _/¯ 

But it is incredibly annoying to oc especially with those volts cause higher 12v = higher cpu voltage which is really annoying for ocing.

But the 3.3v issue seems to be a terminal issue with the board, ill try a better psu but if that psu also gets murdered then i guess i know why all those psus were dying xD

This issue with the psu volts has actually even caused on some rare instances, cpus running at 2.05v on accident

Even worse they are 45nm cpus which have a death zone voltage of around 1.9v+

And the cpus still survive and have no signs of degradation xD

5 hours ago, Mango Milkshake said:

I meant this one

C7029A51-D902-497E-A9B4-CBF2DB2E4CF7.png

It defeats the purpose.  The reason why there are two 6+2-PCIe is to distribute the load and reduce voltage drop. Not only are you not reducing the load, but you're adding resistance.  This is the dumbest product ever.