GTX 970 Power management problem

I have a GTX 970 .So When I played games with it  Game started to randomly crash since month .No matter which game i played with it (BTW Only Playing VALORANT). Its Not Power Supply Problem I tried different power supply but the problem remain same.  But I recently figured out by switching the Power management mode to "Prefer maximum performance" and  solved  this the problem. i wonder what cause to happened this problem. is it driver problem? i am running 461.40 because newer drivers cause more crashes .461.40 is stable for me.

What are your temps for the gpu during gaming?

What psu did you use?

Have you ever repasted the gpu in it's lifetime? (if not that thermal paste is dry dry and could be an issue).

Doing better than me.  My 970 horked and went black when I installed win10. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

What psu did you use?

Have you ever repasted the gpu in it's lifetime? (if not that thermal paste is dry dry and could be an issue).

1)Its IDLE temp is 61C . Right now i am only playing valorant and its not a high GPU usage game so when i playing valorant temp remain same. How ever i ran some GPU stress test under 10 minutes with 100% GPU usage and the temp goes to 77C Maximum 

2)POWER X Rex II 450W power supply

3)Nope never repast 

@jaslion

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Doing better than me.  My 970 horked and went black when I installed win10. 

sad to hear that 

4 hours ago, XERYS said:

1)Its IDLE temp is 61C . Right now i am only playing valorant and its not a high GPU usage game so when i playing valorant temp remain same. How ever i ran some GPU stress test under 10 minutes with 100% GPU usage and the temp goes to 77C Maximum 

3)Nope never repast 

@jaslion

1. That is a VERY VERY high idle temp it is very likely massively underclocking to not overheat. When is the last time you cleaned it?

2. That is a firehazard psu I recommend you replace it with a GOOD unit.

3. So yeah do that after cleaning it that card is over 5 years old that thermal paste is dust.

4 hours ago, XERYS said:

3)Nope never repast 

@jaslion

For starters:  The 970 can draw over 300W of power.  Your PSU is not big enough at all.

Which model 970?  Blower or multi-fan? 

Regardless, you probably should watch a Gamer's Nexus video on repasting a GPU and do that.  61C to start is /really/ bad.

6 hours ago, XERYS said:

That is pretty warm especially the idle temps. Probably a good idea to repaste. On the other hand people often forget that some cases make your GPU run hot as hell, but the idle temps are typically not that hot in bad airflow cases. Anyway what Case do you have?

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

For starters:  The 970 can draw over 300W of power.

What? 300W on a 970? My 980ti barely reaches that if at all.

NVIDIA's TDP is 150W and recommended a 300W PSU minimum back in the day.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

42 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

That is pretty warm especially the idle temps. Probably a good idea to repaste. On the other hand people often forget that some cases make your GPU run hot as hell, but the idle temps are typically not that hot in bad airflow cases. Anyway what Case do you have?

What? 300W on a 970? My 980ti barely reaches that if at all.

NVIDIA's TDP is 150W and recommended a 300W PSU minimum back in the day.

Your psu is extremely low quality. The 970 can pull up to 170w depending on the model and that psu you have can NOT handle that well at all. If it isn't the issue now it WILL be an issue in the future.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Your psu is extremely low quality. The 970 can pull up to 170w depending on the model and that psu you have can NOT handle that well at all. If it isn't the issue now it WILL be an issue in the future.

I know that GPUs draw more than TDP in certain workloads. I was just correcting tkitch that a 970 isn't nowhere close to 300W. Had nothing to do with OPs problem.

By the way I'm not OP and I'm a bit confused about what you just wrote.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

Just now, Montana16 said:

I know that GPUs draw more than TDP in certain workloads. I was just correcting tkitch that a 970 isn't nowhere close to 300W. Had nothing to do with OPs problem.

By the way I'm not OP and I'm a bit confused about what you just wrote.

Op's psu is a very bad low end unit that is NOT at all capable of delivering it's rated power cleanly or without dying. Thus I recommend op to replace it before it kills the system.

It might not be the issue now (thermal issue is what all points to) but the moment that card can boost again to it's fullest that psu is going to die soon.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Op's psu is a very bad low end unit that is NOT at all capable of delivering it's rated power cleanly or without dying. Thus I recommend op to replace it before it kills the system.

It might not be the issue now (thermal issue is what all points to) but the moment that card can boost again to it's fullest that psu is going to die soon.

Yeah, I get that and I agree.

I just don't understand why you quoted me as my response was only directed to the false statement from tkitch that a 970 draws 300W. Nothing else.

6 hours ago, XERYS said:

sad to hear that 

I replaced it with a 580 before the evil started.  It could be worse.  Could be better too I guess.  I also replaced it with a 5700x first, but it wouldn’t play nice with my monitor for complicated reasons so I returned it.  Got a good deal on the thing even before the chip crunch, but my spare monitor was 1080p and I thought I could wait it out till the 3xxx and 6xxxs were out so I went lowball.  Oh well. Now I’m waiting to see whether the m1x/m2 pro desktops have enough video for a reasonable enough price to be worth buying.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

For starters:  The 970 can draw over 300W of power.  Your PSU is not big enough at all.

Regardless, you probably should watch a Gamer's Nexus video on repasting a GPU and do that.  61C to start is /really/ bad.

300w?  I never ever saw it do that. I don’t think even a 980ti will do that.  It’s a 3.5gb card that was advertised as a 4gb card.

6 hours ago, XERYS said:

3)Nope never repast 

@jaslion

That makes sense.  It’s a low CPU usage game, so if you’ve got an even halfway decent cpu you can bury the video card without trouble.  Used to max my 970 playing fallout4 all the time.  Can still max the 580 which has more guts than the 970.  Your temps means It’s running cool though.  Thing can handle more heat than that.

Derp.  Read GPU not PSU.  Ignore me.

Edited by Bombastinator

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

What psu did you use?

This is a point.  970s are not new cards.  There are even some 10xx cards that will need that.  Should have done that.  Dunno why I didn’t think of it.  I’ve even got paste on hand.

Edited by Bombastinator

23 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

Yeah, I get that and I agree.

I just don't understand why you quoted me as my response was only directed to the false statement from tkitch that a 970 draws 300W. Nothing else.

Wrongful quote :p.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

1. That is a VERY VERY high idle temp it is very likely massively underclocking to not overheat. When is the last time you cleaned it?

2. That is a firehazard psu I recommend you replace it with a GOOD unit.

3. So yeah do that after cleaning it that card is over 5 years old that thermal paste is dust.

i think i cleaned it year ago

can you recommend me a psu? (i have i5-6600 Processor ,8GB DDR4 ram, 250SSD and 1TB HDD with ATX Motherboard)

ok i will do that . thanks for the help 

2 hours ago, tkitch said:

Do you recommend 500W psu?

Model is palit gtx 970 Jetstream and it has two fans

ok i will watch thanks for the help 

1 hour ago, Montana16 said:

its an old case. btw i dont use side panel at all so i dont think its bad air flow

41 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That makes sense.  It’s a low CPU usage game, so if you’ve got an even halfway decent cpu you can bury the video card without trouble.  Used to max my 970 playing fallout4 all the time.  Can still max the 580 which has more guts than the 970.  Your temps means It’s running cool though.  Thing can handle more heat than that.

thanks for the replay 

1 hour ago, XERYS said:

its an old case. btw i dont use side panel at all so i dont think its bad air flow

Yeah repaste time and clean it time.

As for psu what is your budget?

6 minutes ago, jaslion said:

As for psu what is your budget?

around 35-40$ 

7 minutes ago, XERYS said:

around 35-40$ 

That’s probably too low for a high quality PSU.  $35 is junk tier and low power. Numbers for a safe PSU are usually more like $65 to lots