Is it possible for a power supply to bottleneck?

DragonSlayer2401

My best friend told me a 850 watt 80 plus gold would bottle neck my computer with a 3080 Ti. It was my understanding that if a power supply doesn’t have enough power for the computer the computer just shuts down and I didn’t think power supplies had an actual speed. So how can it cause your system to run slower if it just shuts down if it doesn’t have enough power?

I'm unaware of a power supply, whose job is solely to supply various voltages to different components within the computer, that can have a negative impact on system performance, barring low quality PSUs with high ripple or out-of-spec voltages, which can cause system instability. Some context as to how you came to ask this question would be much appreciated.

10 minutes ago, DragonSlayer2401 said:

It was my understanding that if a power supply doesn’t have enough power for the computer the computer just shuts down and I didn’t think power supplies had an actual speed.

Correct. Aside from PSUs with really bad voltage ripple, as @Sesame mentioned, a power supply won't have an impact on system performance.

if your friend meant to claim that the power supply was inadequate to supply the 3080 TI fully, that's another matter (but typically that's not true either, a Ryzen 9 CPU and a 3080 TI will get on fine using a quality 850 watt unit)

out of curiosity, what is the PSU model?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, DragonSlayer2401 said:

My best friend told me a 850 watt 80 plus gold would bottle neck my computer with a 3080 Ti. 

Tell him:

Meme%2030%20%20Thats%20not%20how%20this%20works.ashx?la=en

31 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Correct. Aside from PSUs with really bad voltage ripple, as @Sesame mentioned, a power supply won't have an impact on system performance.

if your friend meant to claim that the power supply was inadequate to supply the 3080 TI fully, that's another matter (but typically that's not true either, a Ryzen 9 CPU and a 3080 TI will get on fine using a quality 850 watt unit)

out of curiosity, what is the PSU model?

It’s a Corsair 850 watt 80 plus gold power supply.

10 minutes ago, DragonSlayer2401 said:

It’s a Corsair 850 watt 80 plus gold power supply.

Which of Corsair's 13 different 80 Gold certified 850W PSUs is it?

55 minutes ago, DragonSlayer2401 said:

My best friend told me a 850 watt 80 plus gold would bottle neck my computer with a 3080 Ti

I recommend you stay away from them, when it comes to "advice" about PCs 🙂

:)

19 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Which of Corsair's 13 different 80 Gold certified 850W PSUs is it?

Now, come on... There isn't 13 of them.  😉

There's CS-M, TX-M, RM, RMx and RMi.  😄

I doubt a 3080ti will cap out a 850w psu.

My 3080ftw3/5950x only comes out to ~640watts according to my UPS

And I think lacking to provide enough power would cause a system crash or CTD

Just beware some psus aren't playing nice with high end 3000 series cards, suggest you buy one in the upper tiers of the forum ranking list on the psu forum post.

System Specs: AMD 5950x PBO-AutoNoctua DH-15 Black | Gigabyte x570 MasterEVGA 3080FTW3 Ultra | (2x16gb) G.Skill Royal 3600mhz CL18 | Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black) Samsung 980 Pro 2TB & Firecuda 520 1TB & Crucial MX500 2tb850W Corsair RMX | 2 Noctua A14 CPU, 6 Noctua A12x25 Intake, 3x Noctua F12 Top Exhaust, 1x Noctua A12x25 Back Exhaust

Monitors: (Main) LG Ultragear 34" 2k Ultrawide 144hz IPS '34GP83A-B' (Side) Acer Predator 27" 2k 144hz TN 'Abmiprz'

Peripherals: Corsair K100 OPX | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Corsair Virtuoso SE | Audioengine A2+

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

I just looked at 850W 80+ Gold certified Corsair PSUs, and counted 13. Two HX, one AX, CSM, TXM, and about a billion RM variants 😛

https://www.clearesult.com/80plus/manufacturers/Corsair

Ok... But Gold HX (6/2009) and AX (9/2010) are antiques at this point.  😄  And the original RM is from 2015.

I'm not counting things that you can't buy anymore.