B550 motherboard power connections has two for CPU, one 8-pin and one 4-pin

doomstar

I am looking at a the B550 MSI GAMING CARBON board and the manual shows a 8-pin CPU power and another 4-pin one.  The power supply I am looking at the EVGA Super Nova 550W PS  and seems to only have 1x 8-pin power connector.  Is the 2nd 4-pin one optional or is it a standard PCIe one?

here.png

The 4 pin is optional. Which CPU are you planning on using?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

X5900 ... I would like to experiment with overclocking it.

EDIT: Typo ... AMD 5900X

2 minutes ago, doomstar said:

X5900 ... I would like to experiment with overclocking it

Howd you get a chipset from 2066?

Jk im pretty sure you mean 5900x

7 hours ago, doomstar said:

X5900 ... I would like to experiment with overclocking it.

EDIT: Typo ... AMD 5900X

No CPU on AM4 really needs more than a single 8-pin, unless you are extreme OC using some more exotic cooling solution

@--SID-- - I need a minimal one, just enough to drive a 4k monitor for desktop stuff/no gaming.  I have an old passively cooled 450GTS that should work or alternatively, I could buy a used RX 500 but I'd like something without a fan.

GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 can handle 2x 4K 60 Hz.

Corsair SF450 available at your place? Much better psu than the EVGA.

29 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Corsair SF450 available at your place?

Yes, it's just seems to be double the cost though.  Not sure if it's worth it.

6 minutes ago, doomstar said:

Yes, it's just seems to be double the cost though.  Not sure if it's worth it.

A PSU is not something you want to cheap out on. Buy something with a good warranty, good reviews, and ideal build quality. Do not skimp out on your PSU. 

Makes sense and at this point, another $60 isn't a that big as a percentage of the total bill...

On 6/26/2021 at 9:08 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

^^^

Yea second one is optional, idk why theyd put it on a b550, cause no one xoc with b550 boards anyways

Why would you not overclock on B550 ? You think only X570 boards are good for that ?

6 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Why would you not overclock on B550 ? You think only X570 boards are good for that ?

No b550s are perfectly capable but no ones going to 5ghz on a b550 anyways so why even have the extra 4 pin? Unless it has a very beefy vrm fit for abit of xoc

Some B550 boards do have very beefy VRM, especially compared to the rather skimpy VRM on the average B450. 

Still I would think that most people who were trying to set OC records or whatever probably would go with a top-end X570 board.

IMO they shouldn't even put the extra 4-pin on mainstream X570 boards, because all it does is confuse and worry people about why it's there. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

No b550s are perfectly capable but no ones going to 5ghz on a b550 anyways so why even have the extra 4 pin? Unless it has a very beefy vrm fit for abit of xoc

LOL what ? The same would apply to X570 then because the chipset has nothing whatsoever to do with overclocking capabilities. Try overclocking a 5900X/5950X on an X570 Gaming Edge or X570-A PRO and see how you get on.

Some of the best VRM's are on B550. The B550 Aorus Master, B550-XE and B550 Unify/Unify-X have better VRM's than most X570 boards.

47 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

LOL what ? The same would apply to X570 then because the chipset has nothing whatsoever to do with overclocking capabilities. Try overclocking a 5900X/5950X on an X570 Gaming Edge or X570-A PRO and see how you get on.

Some of the best VRM's are on B550. The B550 Aorus Master, B550-XE and B550 Unify/Unify-X have better VRM's than most X570 boards.

So other than some io and the chipset, these b550 boards are better ocers than most x570 boards?

If so then ill consider that if i ever want to build myself a ryzen gaming pc

10 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

So other than some io and the chipset, these b550 boards are better ocers than most x570 boards?

If so then ill consider that if i ever want to build myself a ryzen gaming pc

They can be. You just have to look at the board in question when making a decision. There are good/bad ones on both chipsets.

The best place to look for VRM info is Youtube channels like Buildzoid or Hardware Unboxed who often do VRM testing.