Bad Ping in Game

kwaku_100

I am currently using ethernet from a wifi extender to connect to my main router for internet. Previously this has given my under 10 ping in game but recently it has jumped to 30-40 stable. I was wondering if there was a way to fix it or to improve ping. 
I am still using the same extender (a net gear one) connecting to the same wifi (a BT Smart Hub 2). I can’t run an Ethernet cable directly from the router either btw. 

45 minutes ago, kwaku_100 said:

I was wondering if there was a way to fix it or to improve ping. 

Get better hardware is about all you could do.

How far away is your PC from the extender and the router?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, kwaku_100 said:

I am currently using ethernet from a wifi extender to connect to my main router for internet. Previously this has given my under 10 ping in game but recently it has jumped to 30-40 stable. I was wondering if there was a way to fix it or to improve ping. 
I am still using the same extender (a net gear one) connecting to the same wifi (a BT Smart Hub 2). I can’t run an Ethernet cable directly from the router either btw. 

Wireless extenders, by their design, are not going to provide low latency or optimal bandwidth. Their application is best suited for improving range when you can’t use APs.

If you’re getting ping <100ms consistently, that’s pretty good for a wireless extender. You can probably try moving the extender a little closer to the wireless source/router so there is a better quality signal to extend in the first place, but not much more you can do with what you have.

An uninterrupted wired uplink to the router/switch will always provide the lowest latency and reliability. And while getting WiFi from a wireless router or AP has its own latency, it’s not as bad as range extenders.

7 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Get better hardware is about all you could do.

How far away is your PC from the extender and the router?

It’s about 30 feet (10 metres for me). What hardware would I get?

3 minutes ago, kwaku_100 said:

It’s about 30 feet (10 metres for me). What hardware would I get?

No need for any hardware just get an ethernet cable that is a bit longer say, 15 meters.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Sir Asvald said:

No need for any hardware just get an ethernet cable that is a bit longer say, 15 meters.

I can’t run an Ethernet cable direct from my router…

9 minutes ago, kwaku_100 said:

I can’t run an Ethernet cable direct from my router…

Sorry, misread the comment, I thought it was 10 meters from your router to your PC. How far are you from your router? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

15 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Sorry, misread the comment, I thought it was 10 meters from your router to your PC. How far are you from your router? 

That’s not the issue, I’m just not allowed to 😞 

1 minute ago, kwaku_100 said:

That’s not the issue, I’m just not allowed to 😞 

I see.. so not even running a cable from your wifi repeater to your PC? assuming it has 2 ethernet ports..