Double-Check My HTPC/NAS Parts List for Me?

Hey! I'm new here, but I've been a big fan of Linus and the team for a few years now. And every time I go through a heavy Linus Media viewing period, I get the idea that I want to build a new computer. Finally, I actually have a good reason to do so. I'd like to build a living room/home theatre PC running Unraid for browsing, coding, watching movies, and what-have-you in the living room, which also serves as a NAS (RAID 5) and maybe a bit of a server for my wife and I.

I realize that there are an absolute TON of these types of threads out there, but as a hardware newbie, I probably have some blind spots. I have, however done a fair bit of research so I think I may have hit the mark here. If you would be so kind as to take a look at my parts list and lemme know if there are any things that need tweaking, I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing I kinda have an issue with is the LAN port on the motherboard. Wondering if maybe I should consider looking at one with more/faster ports if I can get away without spending too much more $.

Also, should I be using a RAID controller?

Thanks!

devo

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($158.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($128.97 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($186.75 @ shopRBC)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($118.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($118.99 @ Canada Computers)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($112.10 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($46.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1214.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-25 15:32 EDT-0400

55 minutes ago, devolasvegas said:

I'd like to build a living room/home theatre PC running Unraid

What do you want unraid? Id just run linux distro like ubuntu or windows so you can watch moves on it easily

56 minutes ago, devolasvegas said:

Id get fewer bigger drives, like start with 1 12tb drive

57 minutes ago, devolasvegas said:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($158.50 @ shopRBC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($128.97 @ Amazon Canada)

Id probably go with a i3 10100, a faster cpu, only a bit more expensive, and often better itx boards

Okay! Thanks, @Electronics Wizardy, for your input.

I'm super interested in using Unraid because of its flexibility and features, particularly its NAS and virtualization host abilities.

I'm going to prob stick to multiple physical disks, as I want to be able to leverage RAID for our data storage.

And I'll check out the processor you suggested. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, devolasvegas said:

Okay! Thanks, @Electronics Wizardy, for your input.

I'm super interested in using Unraid because of its flexibility and features, particularly its NAS and virtualization host abilities.

I'm going to prob stick to multiple physical disks, as I want to be able to leverage RAID for our data storage.

And I'll check out the processor you suggested. Thanks!

Unraid really doesn't like playing movies from its video output, so thats kinda the issue here.

Also windows and linux distros have the same vm and raid features, so thats not really unique to unraid.

Why do you want raid? Fewer drives would use less power, be quieter, probably cheaper, and easier to expand. If something happens to the drive, restore backups.