Upgrade to my parents' old PC

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

DOn't upgrade.  It's not worth it.

Ebay it.  Look for Dell or HP or Lenovo i5 7500 business refurbed computers.

For under 200$ US, you'll get an i5 7500 + 8-16GB + SSD.  Plus the 7th gen iGPU does support 4K, including with netflix and such.

All of which will destroy anything you could do to upgrade that box and be fairly reasonable.

Hi there,
So there is a problem which I can't seem to get my head around. I am trying to make my parents PC alive again at least to some extent. I am limited by the motherboard a bit and don't want to invest too much, but would really appreciate some help or at least guidance as to what to focus on. The problem which I am facing now is that even applications like Word or Chrome are taking their time to be responsive, and it take a long time for many things to load. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Budget (including currency): As little as possible just to meet the requirements

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Office, watching YouTube, streaming to another screen (4K main screen + stream to FHD screen).

Current config:

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4

• Supports Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core / Core™2 Duo / Intel® Pentium® Extreme/ Intel® Pentium® D processor
  • Supports DDR2 800/667/533 memory
  • Gigabyte SATA 3Gb/s Controller
  • 2 PCI Express X16 slot(run @ x16, x4)

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

HDD: SAMSUNG SP2504C (250GB, 7200 RPM)

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD5450

RAM: GEIL (2x2GB, 2x1GB)

Would just changing the graphics card and the HDD work to get some movement on it? Or am I looking at getting some more new parts here?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Would you be willing to invest in an SSD? just sounds like a bad drive

9 minutes ago, bulkyy said:

Would you be willing to invest in an SSD? just sounds like a bad drive

Yes, definitely - It doesn't have to fly or anything - just do its job. What would you recommend?

2 minutes ago, Roggal said:

Yes, definitely - It doesn't have to fly or anything - just do its job. What would you recommend?

This should be a reasonably high-speed SSD with enough storage for most users (if you need more then I would recommend a HDD for large files and less frequently accessed programs, running frequently used files/programs and the OS on the SSD). -->     https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RJS55D?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

DOn't upgrade.  It's not worth it.

Ebay it.  Look for Dell or HP or Lenovo i5 7500 business refurbed computers.

For under 200$ US, you'll get an i5 7500 + 8-16GB + SSD.  Plus the 7th gen iGPU does support 4K, including with netflix and such.

All of which will destroy anything you could do to upgrade that box and be fairly reasonable.

Thanks All,

Much appreciated.