Trouble booting with aic and headless

I have been having a problem with two of my systems.

Both systems are running unraid, and similar specs. But since this seems to be a boot issue, I think we can rule unraid out of this.

Both systems don't need a GPU, so I want them to run headless, which is working fine without other aic.

But if I add a PCI-e device, the systems won't boot.
I have tried an Adaptec HBA, and two network cards (intel and Mellanox)
but every time the debug LED lights up b2 (which is missing from the manual of the motherboard), and searching the internet I find it means that the system is having trouble initializing the GPU.

This makes no sense since I know it can boot without any GPU installed (also no other PCI-e devices) but as soon as I add other PCI-e devices it won't boot.

Both systems will boot with both the aic and a GPU.

System 1:
Asrock X99M Extreme4
Intel Xeon E5-2630v3
4x4GB crucial 2133MT/s

System 2:
Asrock X99 Extreme4
Intel Xeon E5-2680v4
4x16GB Corsair 3200MT/s

Can it though?  I can only speak for my Asus X79 boards but they beep all angry if I boot them without a graphics card.  I installed single slot, single PCIe lane Radeon HD 5450's in one of their PCIE x1 slots.

1411227636_920-front1.jpg.c2b0a7d6b3d0de303bdad1e71ab2baca.jpg

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

Just now, CerealExperimentsLain said:

Can it though?  I can only speak for my Asus X79 boards but they beep all angry if I boot them without a graphics card.  I installed single slot, single PCIe lane Radeon HD 5450's in one of their PCIE x1 slots.

1411227636_920-front1.jpg.c2b0a7d6b3d0de303bdad1e71ab2baca.jpg

I have been running both systems headless for 4 years. So yes they can.

I would like to use the pcie lanes for other things than a gpu, and waste power on that.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this old thread in case someone else is also in the same situation.

I got the same board and trying to build a NAS, ran into the same problem. A few things I tried and it works now:

1. Remove all USB input devices, mouse or keyboard. USB drive seems fine, but may only work on some ports.

2. In bios, "boot" tab, disable logo screen and disable CSM module. It you need CSM, try "do not load" or "uefi only" for storage and Nic oprom. Video oprom should not be disabled, either one works.

I disabled splash screen and CSM module.

Maybe this issue happens when the oprom of aic is waiting for input.

On 2/29/2024 at 2:13 AM, ryd994 said:

Reviving this old thread in case someone else is also in the same situation.

I got the same board and trying to build a NAS, ran into the same problem. A few things I tried and it works now:

1. Remove all USB input devices, mouse or keyboard. USB drive seems fine, but may only work on some ports.

2. In bios, "boot" tab, disable logo screen and disable CSM module. It you need CSM, try "do not load" or "uefi only" for storage and Nic oprom. Video oprom should not be disabled, either one works.

I disabled splash screen and CSM module.

Maybe this issue happens when the oprom of aic is waiting for input.

Thank you for the update. I will indeed try this when the opportunity arrises.