Will This Be Enough?

Forleb

I plan on building my new system around a 5600X and a 3060, and I don't plan on overclocking anything. Is a 550W power supply enough to keep up with a 3060? I've seen on GN's review that it actually draws very near its rated TDP, and a 5600X obviously isn't going to be demanding much. I currently have a Seasonic Core GM-550 that I picked up a while ago, and it would be nice to just use that if possible, but I can try to go for something beefier if it's necessary.

the pc guy

I own a 5600x with a 3060 OC, Asked myself the same question.

I was told 500 would be enough. I have 7 case fans and very hungry hdds which led me to the decicion of getting a 750w psu.
I made the mistake of not getting a modular PSU and getting 750 is overkill right now.
Since I still don't feel quite comfortable about 500 watts in this spec range, I would advice you getting a 650, prefferably corsair.

To me 750 is the sweetspot if you're upgrading in the future. 650 and 750 are almost the same price in most cases. Get 650, if the difference in price is big enough or if you can get a significantly better quality psu if choosing 650, unlikely, but could be possible if on sale or something.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 hour ago, DoctorNick said:

To me 750 is the sweetspot if you're upgrading in the future. 650 and 750 are almost the same price in most cases. Get 650, if the difference in price is big enough or if you can get a significantly better quality psu if choosing 650, unlikely, but could be possible if on sale or something.

I don't plan on expanding on this build at any point. The quality of the unit I have is actually fairly optimal according to the local tier list & other reviews, so an upgrade would only realistically entail the markup from wattage if I stayed in that zone. Mainly just wondering if 550W will work or not.

the pc guy

6 minutes ago, Forleb said:

I don't plan on expanding on this build at any point. The quality of the unit I have is actually fairly optimal according to the local tier list & other reviews, so an upgrade would only realistically entail the markup from wattage if I stayed in that zone. Mainly just wondering if 550W will work or not.

550W should work fine unless you got some monster 3060. What model you got? You got 45A on the 12V rail

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

550W should work fine unless you got some monster 3060. What model you got? You got 45A on the 12V rail

None yet... pretty much just scouring everywhere I can in hopes of snagging something. The moment I can actually get my hands on one, I'm doing it, regardless of the model. Which ones do you know of that would need the bump to 650W, in case that's what I land on?

the pc guy

2 hours ago, Forleb said:

I currently have a Seasonic Core GM-550 that I picked up a while ago, and it would be nice to just use that if possible

Thats plenty for that build. 

52 minutes ago, Forleb said:

None yet... pretty much just scouring everywhere I can in hopes of snagging something. The moment I can actually get my hands on one, I'm doing it, regardless of the model. Which ones do you know of that would need the bump to 650W, in case that's what I land on?

I haven't researched 3060's, but you will most likely be fine. You can always check before. Your unit is high quality so shouldn't be an issue

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Your unit is high quality

SS Core is high quality? LOL, no.

6 hours ago, Forleb said:

I plan on building my new system around a 5600X and a 3060, and I don't plan on overclocking anything. Is a 550W power supply enough to keep up with a 3060? I've seen on GN's review that it actually draws very near its rated TDP, and a 5600X obviously isn't going to be demanding much. I currently have a Seasonic Core GM-550 that I picked up a while ago, and it would be nice to just use that if possible, but I can try to go for something beefier if it's necessary.

550w is plenty, people think they have to buy more wattage than what they actually need

5 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Your unit is high quality so shouldn't be an issue

More like we have no idea about it's quality, but yeah, it should be fine for this build, in any case, OP already has it so it's too late for an advice on PSU choice.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply