Ram not being detected???

Hello everyone!

Currently I have an issue with my ram not being detected by my system. Weirdly enough, my entire system boots (fans, RGB, water pump) but my Corsair ram does not light up and I get no post screen. No led error codes on my motherboard either. This issue just happened upon trying to upgrade from 2700 to 5800x. I was under the impression that my bios model would accept the 5800x but apparently I was mistaken.

Specs:

Ryzen 2700
32 GB (4x8gb) Corsair vengeance 3600mhz C18
TUF RTX 3090
Asus Prime Pro x570
Adata 500gb SSD
2x2 TB bara hard drives 7200rpm

My rig ran fine and everything this morning and I have anti-static mats and grounding straps on at all times. I have already performed CMOS battery pull, jumped the CMOS terminals and have taken out all but 1 stick of ram testing in different slots. I have reverted back to my 2700 to update my system but still the same issue.

16241415988998140717808819635612.jpg

16241416154076700232921596308129.jpg

1624141637901566558664444908087.jpg

Your board does support a 5800X, but not on every BIOS version. If you have had that board for a long time and not performed any BIOS updates in the last year or so, it probably doesn't support the 5800X yet, so you'll have to put in your old CPU again, update the BIOS and then try again

1 minute ago, Alvin853 said:

Your board does support a 5800X, but not on every BIOS version. If you have had that board for a long time and not performed any BIOS updates in the last year or so, it probably doesn't support the 5800X yet, so you'll have to put in your old CPU again, update the BIOS and then try again

Yes this problem persists when switching back to my old 2700. System was completely operational with the 2700 prior to switching to the 5800x. For the fun of it I took all ram sticks out and I am given no error led. Fans and everything spin up just as if it was running.... Never seen that in my entire life. Normally you get a beeping, constant boot loop, or no boot at all.

1 minute ago, SgtFilthyFrank said:

Yes this problem persists when switching back to my old 2700. System was completely operational with the 2700 prior to switching to the 5800x. For the fun of it I took all ram sticks out and I am given no error led. Fans and everything spin up just as if it was running.... Never seen that in my entire life. Normally you get a beeping, constant boot loop, or no boot at all.

That doesn't sound good, hopefully you didn't bend any pins or cause any other physical damage during the switching. 

Everything else turning on, fans spinning, at least means the PSU is turning on and there's no short, so that's a plus, but your board seems to be braindead and not boot at all, that's going to be tricky to diagnose. 

5 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

That doesn't sound good, hopefully you didn't bend any pins or cause any other physical damage during the switching. 

Everything else turning on, fans spinning, at least means the PSU is turning on and there's no short, so that's a plus, but your board seems to be braindead and not boot at all, that's going to be tricky to diagnose. 

No bent pins on my 2700 or 5800x. I am very careful throughout all my work on my PC. I wish these lower tier Asus boards had the bios ez flashback. 

12 minutes ago, SgtFilthyFrank said:

No bent pins on my 2700 or 5800x. I am very careful throughout all my work on my PC. I wish these lower tier Asus boards had the bios ez flashback. 

Looks like we have to start taking some wild guesses:

First thing I would do is unplug the front power/reset switch from the board and try starting the board by bridging the pwr_sw pins on the board with a screwdriver or a paperclip or something. If one of the switches is broken and the board thinks the switch is held down, it won't boot. 

If that doesn't work, remove/unplug everything that's not the bare minimum to boot, maybe even get the board out of the case, remove all external devices. Even take off the cooler and see if the CPU gets warm to the touch when you try to boot. 

Unplug the power cord, remove the battery and let it sit for a while so all the capacitors get to discharge and everything on the board resets. 

If none of these suggestions give any new insights, then you're probably going to have to get a new board. I doubt there's any problem with the RAM, because like you said there would be some sort of alert if the board detects issues. 

Double check you cleared the CMOS properly.

Not working with the old CPU isnt a good sign, if you already cleared cmos something might have physical damage somehow. I'd check for physical damage while reseating everything including power cables. Reseat the GPU too if possible.

Check that no thermal paste fell off into the CPU socket.

Keep everything unplugged, all usb ports even your storage, only have your powercables, waterpump/fans, and your monitor/keyboard/mouse plugged in. Only have essentials plugged in.

You don't have to reapply thermal paste every time you test, just attach the block on your CPU tight enough it doesn't move and don't leave it running long. just long enough to see if it post. If it post turn it off and apply your paste before doing anything else. If you dont make a mess you can temporarily reuse the paste already on the cooler, i'd clean the cpu though before removing it. Careful not to make a giant mess and get thermal paste in a socket somewhere though.

I'm a bit confused, did it work earlier with the 5800x?

Did you have any water leaks during the swap?

Your PC looks amazing BTW, but damn hardline tubing has to suck right now.😰

36 minutes ago, CryingWimp said:

Double check you cleared the CMOS properly.

Not working with the old CPU isnt a good sign, if you already cleared cmos something might have physical damage somehow. I'd check for physical damage while reseating everything including power cables. Reseat the GPU too if possible.

Check that no thermal paste fell off into the CPU socket.

Keep everything unplugged, all usb ports even your storage, only have your powercables, waterpump/fans, and your monitor/keyboard/mouse plugged in. Only have essentials plugged in.

You don't have to reapply thermal paste every time you test, just attach the block on your CPU tight enough it doesn't move and don't leave it running long. just long enough to see if it post. If it post turn it off and apply your paste before doing anything else. If you dont make a mess you can temporarily reuse the paste already applied, careful not to make a giant mess and get thermal paste in a socket somewhere.

I'm a bit confused, did it work earlier with the 5800x?

Your PC looks amazing BTW, but damn hardline tubing has to suck right now.😰

Hardline tubing does suck. I managed to contact the Asus Canada support line and he just went with me through the same exact steps that I just did. His prognosis was that the board is bricked. My peripherals aren't getting any power so he determined that it was a 1 in 1000 event of the new CPU somehow corrupting my bios. RMA inbound apparently. 

Did not work with the 5800x but I have never had any instances where the new CPU would brick the board. Oh how I wish EZ Flash was a thing... Or even better, just a removable bios chip! 

Looks like I get a good deep clean on the entire rig while I wait.... HAHA!

Yeah having a recoverable bios option is beautiful when needed.

Damn, that is bad luck.