Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Budget (including currency): Around $650 before tax

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, Genshin Impact, Anno 1800, School

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 1080p 60-75hz

This is the first time I've attempted to build a computer and wanted to make sure I'm not forgetting something or making some crucial mistake here. Actually not for myself, but my brother and so having something that doesn't require much tinkering when setup and being like a laptop connected to a monitor essentially is ideal. Already have most of the peripherals with the exception of a webcam, but that's not in the budget. I tried to come up with something in pcpartpicker with the help of an article (https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-500-pc-gaming-build/).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ntLXwz 

I added windows because brother doesn't want a pirated/trial version. Motherboard was also changed to have one with wifi. It's not a ton of storage and if/when it runs out planning to add a hard drive. I also changed the ram a bit to a single stick because it was cheaper, but it's the same otherwise.

Other than that it's the same as the article, but the article is a month old and I did change some stuff so just wanted to check in to see if anything's wrong before continuing. I'll continue to look for a better deal on the ram but other than that is everything decent for the price?

Not a great time to be building right now, but I would recommend going used

My PCs:

VALENTINIAN : CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i Pro || MOBO : MSi B450 Tomahawk Max || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB, Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x2 || PSU: EVGA G2 850W w/ Cablemod Black & White Cables || CASE: NZXT H510 White || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: HyperX Cloud Alpha, Logitech C920 || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

DIOCLETIAN III (HTPC) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition || MOBO : MSi X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V (3200) || SSDs: Crucial P1 500GB, Crucial MX500 1TB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || PSU: Seasonic 650W w/ Black & Red Extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 || Monitor: Samsung Q60 65" QLED (4K 60hz) || KEYBOARD: Logitech G613 || Mouse: Logitech G305 || CONTROLLER: Xbox One Controller x2 || AUDIO: Samsung Q60R Soundbar || Case Fans : 2x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 ||

JUSTINIAN - Dell XPS 15": CPU: Core i7-9750H || GPU: GTX 1650 || RAM: 2*8GB 2666MhZ DDR4 SODIMM || SSD: 1TB M.2 PCIe || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || MONITOR: 15" 1920 * 1080 IPS || KEYBOARD: Dell Keyboard || MOUSE: Logitech G305 White || AUDIO: HyperX Cloud II ||

OTHER : Dell Latitude (i7-6600U, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD) ||

MOBILE : Galaxy S9 (64GB + 64GB uSD) || Galaxy S7 (32GB) || FitBit Blaze || iPad 7th Generation ||

CONSOLE : Nintendo Switch (Pro Controller x3, Joy-Con Grip x1, PowerA Enhanced Controller x1) ||

Just now, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Not a great time to be building right now, but I would recommend going used

I know gpu's are rough right now but it seems like this older cpu is fine for the most part? The integrated graphics should be good enough I thought at least. Most of the other stuff seemed in stock as well. I know used would probably be good with the budget and stuff but the "client" here wouldn't be happy with that.

23 minutes ago, RandomNerd99 said:

I added windows because brother doesn't want a pirated/trial version. 

Please convince him otherwise. That's a good chunk of your budget that could be put to much better use on physical parts. 

York (NAS/Secondary Desktop): Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), 24GB 1333MHz DDR3, Zotac GTX 550 Ti AMP! 1GB, HP OEM GTX 680 2GB, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2x 3TB HDD + 3x 2TB HDD (12TB total), Windows Server 2019

Phobos (Main Desktop): AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, XFX Radeon RX 570 4GB, 1TB WD Blue SN550, 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Bondi: Apple iMac G3 (Tray Loader, Revision A), PowerPC 750, 384MB PC-66, ATI Rage IIc 2MB, 4GB Quantum Fireball, Mac OS 9.2.2

Clover (NAS): Dell OptiPlex 755 MT, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (2C/2T), 8GB 800MHz DDR2, 160GB WD Caviar SE (Boot), 2x 1TB WD Caviar Blue (Storage), FreeNAS 11.3-U1

41 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

Please convince him otherwise. That's a good chunk of your budget that could be put to much better use on physical parts. 

I'll definitely try. Other than that though the parts seem fine?

1 hour ago, RandomNerd99 said:

I added windows because brother doesn't want a pirated/trial version.

Linux. It's really not that hard. Steam games work fine through WINE/Proton. Minecraft's official launcher has support. Windows apps work through WINE. There are so many beginner-friendly distros that can be styled like Windows 10.

5 minutes ago, BadBoyHaloCat said:

Linux. It's really not that hard.

I think he might be younger than you're imagining, more like just entering middle school

Just now, RandomNerd99 said:

I think he might be younger than you're imagining, more like just entering middle school

I used Linux at that age.

Just now, BadBoyHaloCat said:

I used Linux at that age.

Well, I'll try but I'm not sure. Plus some of these games/applications might not run right?

Just now, RandomNerd99 said:

Well, I'll try but I'm not sure. Plus some of these games/applications might not run right?

First of all, as they are most likely a Windows user, look for a distro which uses the KDE plasma desktop environment. Probably Kubuntu. You can always use the iso's "Live" ("Try <distro name>") option to get a feel for it before installation.

Minecraft: Supported natively

Genshin Impact: May be supported via Lutris or WINE

Anno 1800: Supported via Lutris

All steam games: Supported by Steam Proton

Zoom: Supported natively

Major browsers (chrome, firefox, brave, etc): Supported natively

But it's up to you 🤷‍♂️

That list is ok other than wasting money on a windows 10 key, if you really want an activated windows badly then you can go to a site like scdkey for cheap windows keys, they are considerably more expesive than the ebay windows keys (3$ ebay vs 10-20$ scdkey) but you are guaranteed to get the lisence you wanted like win 10 pro license whereas on ebay you just get sent a random license so you dont know what you are gonna get.

Though i highly suggest just swapping to linux cause windows 10 is really slow due to all the bloat installed by microsoft especially on older or low end systems.

I use windows 7 cause i really hate w10, though i still have to use w10 cause i use a laptop, and good god it is slow as hell, even a freaking decade old lga 775 dualcore would crush this thing. I bet if i could install w7 then there would be a pretty big difference in load times esp on low end or systems that use hdds.

And i think linux is better than w7 in terms of performance enhancing depending on which distro you have.