Amd kaveri APU ultimate build guide cooling fail?

Go to solution Solved by atrash,

Doesn't matter which orientation the cpu cooler is. Hot air rises so even if the cpu fan/cooler is facing towards the rear case fan, it will still recirculate the hot/warm air from the graphics anyhow. Plus, it's the only way to mount that cooler on an AMD motherboard because of the mounting mechanism. I wouldn't call it a cooling fail.

This is Linuses ultimate guide, if you watched the cooler step, you will see how he mounted it, he mounted it that way so the fan is pointing at the GPU while the it is intaking, i find this weird because many people reported cpu overheating with this setup? Why?

Because the fan is intaking the heat directly from the GPU , theoretically it should just add additional heat from the gpu and mix it up with heat that the cpu is producing even if the r9 250 isn't that hot card... Maybe I am wrong, but when i watched the video i started wondering which way should i rotate my cooler? Because, when he was also installing his PSU he said: "I will rotate the psu so the fan is pointing downwards, this way the psu has it's own cooling area" meaning that trough those intake holes the psu would exhaust the heat instead of just adding more of that heat in the case, but he done just the opposite with the cpu, if he mounted the cpu cooler in the way the cpu heat would get rear exhausted it would be better, and the cpu would have it's OWN thermal zone.

Maybe I am wrong... Some can agree and disagree, but can someone explain?

There is no intake fan included with the case, so that's the intake.

edit: i'm a silly person and read this wrong

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

The gpu in that guide doesnt generate much heat.

The gpu in that guide doesnt generate much heat.

But lets say if you could rotate it, actually you can, but imagine if the cooler didn't cover up the ram slots, which setup would be better? If the cooler was pointed at the rear exhaust fan or if it still stayed intaking from the gpu?

But lets say if you could rotate it, actually you can, but imagine if the cooler didn't cover up the ram slots, which setup would be better? If the cooler was pointed at the rear exhaust fan or if it still stayed intaking from the gpu?

I edited that out right away sorry. Intaking gpu would be better, i guess if there is no exhaust fan then it doesnt really matter which.

That CPU cooler can't be mounted to exhaust to the back of the case on AMD motherboards, that's how it mounts with the AMD mounting bracket. It exhausts the air up the case, that's just how it goes but it shouldn't be a problem. Jayztwocents used it in his wife's build with an 8350 and even overclocked it.

I edited that out right away sorry. Intaking gpu would be better, i guess if there is no exhaust fan then it doesnt really matter which.

wtf, what do you mean, no exhaust fan? Maybe i don't understand you now, but let me clean this up, as you can see in the video the fan is on the bottom side of the cooler which is pulling towards itself or intaking i should say, Since the CPU is already generating heat, i think this is even more weird because the intake fan adds MORE heat especially if there is no fans on top of the heat sink to pull the heat out. So, my theory is, if you rotated the cooler it would be much better. When i say ROTATE, i mean rotate it 90 degress to the left, so the heatsink is VERTICALLY aiming at the rear exhaust fan. The cpu heat will get pushed from the right side where the 2.5 inch or something bays are located, and exhaust it by a rear fan  That way the CPU won't get overheated because it wont get extra hot air from the gpu. Hope that clears it up.

That CPU cooler can't be mounted to exhaust to the back of the case on AMD motherboards, that's how it mounts with the AMD mounting bracket. It exhausts the air up the case, that's just how it goes but it shouldn't be a problem. Jayztwocents used it in his wife's build with an 8350 and even overclocked it.

Yes but I am kinda making up a scenario here because I would like to setup a cooler in my own build ;)

It doesn't matter too much if your GPU does not produce much heat.

AMD mountings are much more likely to be in the vertical position rather than Intel which uses the horizontal configuration more.

I have no idea why.

I have an FX-8350 with a Raijintek Ereboss facing the GPU, I contacted the manufacturer and they are sending me some new mounts they have made so I can alter the air flow. 

Great customer service.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Actually, to make it even simplier to you guys, this cooler vs hyper 212 evo, this should make things even easier if you don't look at the things i've written earlier.

wtf, what do you mean, no exhaust fan? Maybe i don't understand you now, but let me clean this up, as you can see in the video the fan is on the bottom side of the cooler which is pulling towards itself or intaking i should say, Since the CPU is already generating heat, i think this is even more weird because the intake fan adds MORE heat especially if there is no fans on top of the heat sink to pull the heat out. So, my theory is, if you rotated the cooler it would be much better. When i say ROTATE, i mean rotate it 90 degress to the left, so the heatsink is VERTICALLY aiming at the rear exhaust fan. The cpu heat will get pushed from the right side where the 2.5 inch or something bays are located, and exhaust it by a rear fan  That way the CPU won't get overheated because it wont get extra hot air from the gpu. Hope that clears it up.

yes im saying if there is no exhaust fan ON THE CASE, then that would make sense. But again, that gpu really doesnt generate much heat. Back to your original point, yes he should have mounted it the other way, maybe there was ram clearance issues. Honestly it really doesnt make much of a difference.

Doesn't matter which orientation the cpu cooler is. Hot air rises so even if the cpu fan/cooler is facing towards the rear case fan, it will still recirculate the hot/warm air from the graphics anyhow. Plus, it's the only way to mount that cooler on an AMD motherboard because of the mounting mechanism. I wouldn't call it a cooling fail.