Longevity comparision between AMD and Intel

Recently I had seen an AMD 4800H series based dell G5 gaming laptop in a deteriorating condition performance wise. It wasn't unable to handle the simple tasks like running VSCode, Pycharm, or even opening the anaconda console. On the other hand happening to be in the same room, there was an HP pavilion x360 based on 8th gen 4 core Intel U series processor running seamlessly, more or less the same way as on the purchased date (as described by the owner). Now when I asked both the laptop owners about the use cases, both were bought around 2 years ago, the AMD laptop was used for binge watching movies and basic web browsing and stuff. The Intel laptop was used for continuous coding sessions including Matlab and Simulation Modelling. The owner claims to have not shutdown the laptop for days together. 

Normally the case will be that the AMD should be able to perform much better than a U series Intel processor. But that is not the case here, the intel machine is very good at this point after two years and the AMD machine is performing way worse than an old intel platform. Now I don't know the specific conditions about the user environment and other factors that contributed to the results. I did not even get any permission to perform proper testing on the laptops. 

The main reason that I am writing this is to highlight the point that many reviewers say that buy a product for the value it offers today. You cannot expect a Bachelors student to buy a new laptop every year, a student definitely cannot afford that. One must buy something that will last for at least 3 to 4 years. So, please share your views on your Ryzen laptops and desktops which are more than an 18 months old. As far as I know Intel machines are fine in these kind of situations. The concern is about the 3000, 4000 and 5000 series AMD processors. 

It would be if someone could make a video about it or at least an article after proper testing is done. Please do share your own experiences

Did you do anything to troubleshoot your issues? 

Temps of the AMD system?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

CPU's do not slow down as they age. They either work or don't work.

It's very rare to see a dead AMD or Intel CPU that wasn't abused/overclocked. Both last until obsolecense.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

If anything, the last few gens of AMD processors would have better longevity than what Intel has had on offer, because they both use less power and generate less heat, two things that can degrade silicon. However, any modern CPU can far outlast its own usefulness, i.e. you'd be wanting to upgrade before it would outright fail.

What you have here is completely anecdotal info that means nothing. The AMD owner could have a bunch of garbage bloatware installed, with the laptop never cleaned and full of dust, while the Intel owner may take meticulously care of their machine. That alone would dramatically affect performance, regardless of CPU. In other words, if the user behaviors were that different you could swap the laptops and the results would likely be the same in reverse.

You also can't do direct comparisons between random laptops. A crap laptop is a crap laptop no matter what you throw into it. Thermals and power delivery can vary dramatically based on how much engineering the manufacturer put into it, which obviously affects performance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

22 hours ago, Chris Pratt said:

If anything, the last few gens of AMD processors would have better longevity than what Intel has had on offer, because they both use less power and generate less heat, two things that can degrade silicon. However, any modern CPU can far outlast its own usefulness, i.e. you'd be wanting to upgrade before it would outright fail.

What you have here is completely anecdotal info that means nothing. The AMD owner could have a bunch of garbage bloatware installed, with the laptop never cleaned and full of dust, while the Intel owner may take meticulously care of their machine. That alone would dramatically affect performance, regardless of CPU. In other words, if the user behaviors were that different you could swap the laptops and the results would likely be the same in reverse.

You also can't do direct comparisons between random laptops. A crap laptop is a crap laptop no matter what you throw into it. Thermals and power delivery can vary dramatically based on how much engineering the manufacturer put into it, which obviously affects performance.

That is a valid point. But what I'm hoping is someone could do a video or write an article with a full detailed analysis. All that happens in these forums is debate and arguments may be. 

I have an old ass Laptop with an i7-4820hq and a newer one with a ryzen 7 3700U.  My experience with those two: I never had any problems (over 6 years by now) with the intel Machine but the ryzen machine (which is about 2 years old) recently had some issues which I thought I had solved but returned. Repeat that 2 or 3 times. Since those issues are irregular I never really know if I fixed it or not as it may boot up 2 weeks in a row without issues and then you get it twice on the same day.

Which could be because the ryzen laptop was an overall cheaper machine than the i7 but who knows.

Performance wise I haven't noticed anything negative over time in either of those machines.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

6 hours ago, Suryakod said:

That is a valid point. But what I'm hoping is someone could do a video or write an article with a full detailed analysis. All that happens in these forums is debate and arguments may be. 

The problem is that it's next to impossible to test. You'd need to get two laptops, same model and manufacturer, where the only difference was one had Intel and the other AMD. Then you would have to simulate normal usage on them for a period of years, before coming back and running the same benchmarks or whatever on them again to see if there was any meaningful change in performance. That's a huge amount of work, and frankly no one cares enough, because the answer is already obvious. Given the same usage patterns, there's no functional difference for either Intel or AMD over time. That's not how things work.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

The 4800h will absolutely demolish that 4 core U processor.

Only reason that it would be slower is just overheating and it throttling below base clock, problably due  to dust in the cooling system or garbage thermal compound paired with bloatware and dying storage.