Windows not showing correct Hz on memory

Hi guys,

New to PC building.

I have 4 8GB sticks of DDR4 3000Hz memory. Windows and all benchmarks are only showing 2133Hz.

Is this normal? How do I change it if it's not?

It's on a MSI X470 Gaming Plus motherboard.

Thanks for any help you guys have.

Hey, i would like to know what type of processor do you have, so i can help you better, maybe try to go on the bios and force/change the Hz from there.

You will need to enable XMP/DOCP in your BIOS to get your memory up to 3000mhz. By default, 2133 is what just about all systems will set the memory speeds to. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

16 minutes ago, puppo said:

Hey, i would like to know what type of processor do you have, so i can help you better, maybe try to go on the bios and force/change the Hz from there.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6Ghz

16 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

You will need to enable XMP/DOCP in your BIOS to get your memory up to 3000mhz. By default, 2133 is what just about all systems will set the memory speeds to. 

That seems to have fixed it. It have 3 options under A-XMP in the BIOS. Disabled, profile 1, profile 2.

Does it matter what profile I pick?

5 minutes ago, Drakken said:

That seems to have fixed it. It have 3 options under A-XMP in the BIOS. Disabled, profile 1, profile 2.

When you select either profile it should then pop up with more options, set the profile to 3000mhz and save with that profile enabled.

By default the profiles will have no selected speed.

11 minutes ago, Drakken said:

Shouldn't matter no. Select one and see what it does. But likely not much difference between them, if any. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

From disabled to either profile 1 or 2, it does show the Hz change from 2133 to 3000. Other than that, nothing else changes. 

I'm guessing it's there to save two different profiles if you customise it yourself?

Either way, it's all fixed. Thanks for your quick responses and help. 

8 hours ago, Drakken said:

hey sorry, i was asleep, actually no, you can just pick whatever profile you want 

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Shouldn't matter no. Select one and see what it does. But likely not much difference between them, if any. 

imo they should select the one with the timings the ram is rated at, on my old msi bios profile 1 had much tighter timings and it always BSOD after a few minutes , profile 2 had the correct timings and didnt crash…Now the latest BIOS has the same timings for profile 1 and 2 so in that case it really shouldnt matter anymore.

14 minutes ago, puppo said:

hey sorry, i was asleep, actually no, you can just pick whatever profile you want 

even if they have different timings? well that 100% didnt work on MSI BIOS.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity