using two more CNAME RRs

johnyb98

Hello everybody!

Please, I am trying to understand the following CNAME RR settings issue.
Let's say that on a registrar I have root domain e.g. test.com

On the CNAME RRs, I understand when I build CNAME record:

CNAME                              host: www.test.com                                 points to: test.com

This is for, when someone types on browser's address bar www.test.com , it is forwarded to test.com . I have no problem on understanding with this.
The one that I do not understand is the following:

For a mail server build, for domain test.com , I see that some domain admins also add CNAME records like:

CNAME                              host: mail.test.com                      points to: test.com
CNAME                              host: www.mail.test.com             points to: test.com

How they work? Why are they entered?

Can you please help me with these enters?

Thank you for your time!

Seems useless to me. I never do that anyway, there's no really valid point.

I usually point mail/webmail.domain.com directly to the mailserver, and add an autodiscover record as well (as I only really ever setup Microsoft Exchange).

The CNAMEs your describing are mainly to catch users that are typing in the wrong URL.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 6/16/2021 at 5:26 AM, johnyb98 said:

How they work? Why are they entered?

Can you please help me with these enters?

This smells like a quiz or homework question, but I'll play along.

As it turns out, this is quite common in DNS.  If you have an A-record for domain test.com, and that A-record is the same IP address(es) as mail.test.com and www.mail.test.com, it allows you to aim those two aliases (CNAMEs) at it.  If you ever have to change the IP address(es) for test.com, you only have to make one edit versus three.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

All these things are just ease of use.  I never use CNAMES as they force a double-lookup vs using an A record, but if you are a business with a lot of sub-domains then it could save you the hassle of changing all the entries if you move hosts.

I believe the only reason mail. is a thing is again ease of use if you are a business.  That way if your traffic gets so high you need to move your mail server to a dedicated host you don't have to tell everyone to change the domain name in their clients.

From an efficiency point of view, you'd never use CNAMEs.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

From an efficiency point of view, you'd never use CNAMEs.

You're basically micro-optimizing here, and in reality it's not going to make a lick of difference.  Been there, done that, have over 30 years of running DNS. 😉

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

On 6/18/2021 at 7:53 PM, jasonvp said:

You're basically micro-optimizing here, and in reality it's not going to make a lick of difference.  Been there, done that, have over 30 years of running DNS. 😉

I guess it WAS more important "back in the day" when a DNS lookup could be costly because we were all stuck with crappy ISP DNS, back before Google, Cloudflare, etc were a thing.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7