Cooling concerns - RTX 3070 - MicroATX Mini Tower

Mpit52

Hey all,

I'm happy to say I'm the proud owner of a RTX3070 but I may have underestimated the size of this thing. I was lucky enough to be able to purchase a EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA to only find out that it just barley fits inside of my MicroATX Mini tower. While my complete build specs are blow, I'm a little concerned with the system overheating while gaming. I had no concerns with my old GTX 1650 but I can actually feel the heat coming off this thing with the new GPU. Its a very tight but there is about a 1''-1.5'' gap between the PSU and GPU. With these benchmark test being relatively short, my concern is that the GPU will overheat during extended play sessions. I feel as if its not getting enough air to properly cool down. 

Question:

Are my concern valid or just over reactions?
What are the general healthy temperate limits?

Should I change my fan setup, if so how?

I have some spare fans, would another intake on the bottom assist?

Are my fans simply crap and should be replaced with something more efficient? 

Build:

Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with Wraith Prism

G-Skill F4-3000 RAM

EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA

no name/off brand fans - LIAN LI BORALITE Series RGB BORALITE120-3A S, 120mm

Cooling Setup:

2x 120mm pull intake in the front

1x 120mm pull intake in the rear by CPU

1x 120mm push exhaust top read by CPU

Cooling theory:

Positive pressure with single exhaust on top.

I ran Unigine Heaven, using the benchmark option, along with HWiNFO64 (attached) in which I received the following results.

GPU Temperature [°C] - Average: 72.13

GPU Hot Spot Temperature [°C] - Average: 83.03

GPU Hot Spot Temperature [°C] - Highest: 91

RIP to my other PCI slots as this card takes up 3 of them. I'm waiting for an PCI extension cable for my WiFi adapter that has been abandon below. 

PXL_20210616_010524478.jpg

Unigine_Heaven_BenchMark-2021.6.15.CSV

The Master Box Q300L is a space heater no matter what you do. Ditto that for its bigger ATX brother. Just a terrible implementation of a case. I'd flip your back fan to exhaust as well, but that's about all you can do in that pizza oven.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

The Master Box Q300L is a space heater no matter what you do. Ditto that for its bigger ATX brother. Just a terrible implementation of a case. I'd flip your back fan to exhaust as well, but that's about all you can do in that pizza oven.

Do you think that's my biggest issue? Would a mid-full ATX case be the best bang for my buck? If soy any suggestions on what to look for in one. I'd hate to purchase another case to only move the problem along with it. 

Do you think adding a few more intake fans would assist or not much? I'm pretty sure I have a few more laying around. The only real place I can mount them would be on the bottom or top though. 

I appreciate your input and assistant. 

9 minutes ago, Mpit52 said:

Do you think that's my biggest issue? Would a mid-full ATX case be the best bang for my buck? If soy any suggestions on what to look for in one. I'd hate to purchase another case to only move the problem along with it. 

Do you think adding a few more intake fans would assist or not much? I'm pretty sure I have a few more laying around. The only real place I can mount them would be on the bottom or top though. 

I appreciate your input and assistant. 

There are plenty of perfectly good mATX cases out there in terms of airflow. The Thermaltake Versa H18, Thermaltake Core V21 and Fractal Meshify C Mini all come to mind immediately, and there are loads of others. IMO, the Q300L is a dumpster fire, and that's from using one. Your system should be fine with 2 in, 2 out. Play with your fan curves in BIOS if you need to, but I think the problem is your case. The 3070 is a toasty card, and the Q300L is a great toaster oven.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Grats on the 3070 FTW3 Ultra

I agree, the rear fan as exhaust would be better. If your worried about dust you can set the fan curve to have the front fans slightly faster than the exhaust. Your GPU shouldn't get hot with 2 intake fans, it would sound like a leaf blower it its anywhere near getting to hot. Even in the perfect case with the best airflow you'd still feel more heat compared to the 1650 because your new GPU uses more power. My PC feels like a space heater 🤣 but everything has temps well within spec. At full load your PC is dumping 350+ watts of heat into the room.

High 80s seems normal for GPU hotspot, so 91c isn't too far off. Try the rear as exhaust. Adding a third intake on the bottom if it fits might help, and you'd have positive pressure with 3 intake, 2 exhaust. I wouldn't worry to much about positive pressure though. If your case fans are quiet they might be set low. I'd assume in that case with 2/3 fans as intake in the front/bottom and the rear/top as exhaust you should be able to cool a 3070/2700x easily.

Most youtubers have shown that 2 front intake and 1-2 rear/top exhaust is ideal for standard layout cases.

A better case could help with noise, is it loud?

Thanks all for the replies but I ended up building a new machines and will be selling the old on with a GTX 1650Super in it. When I got the GPU, it also came with a new R7 5800x that I had no plans on using. Since the RTX3070 baked my old setup so much, I figured I'd just build a new machine.

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II 

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x

Noctua NH-U12S

Fractal Design Meshify C Black ATX case

Fan Setup:

3x 120mm pull intake

1x 120mm push exhaust

I ran the same test in which they were night and day. While I know its not a 1:1 but I do feel that the case and additional intake made a huge difference. 

GPU Temperature [°C] - Average: 40.8

GPU Hot Spot Temperature [°C] - Average: 52.4

GPU Hot Spot Temperature [°C] - Highest: 54.7