UPS Recommendation for my NAS

I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my home setup. This is what I'm planning on plugging into it:

• Synology DS220j (12.5W while being accessed according to the website)
  • My 65" TV Sony X900H (I couldn't find power usage specs for it)
  • A cable modem (Technicolor TC4350)
  • Wifi Router (Netgear R6350)

The last few outages I've had have been very brief. So brief that my PC was able to stay up and not reboot, but it did reset my modem, and I had to wait several minutes before I could get back online (and it happened during a meeting while I was talking). I want to have my network gear plugged in for that reason.

If an outage does last longer, having my TV and NAS plugged in and able to watch videos for a few hours would be really cool. A friend of mine who also has a Synology DS220 said he was able to plug it in via USB so the NAS would safely shut down when the UPS ran low. Having that support would be cool.

There's also the potential of plugging in some idle consoles. I remember the PS3 in particular being rather fussy if it don't get shut down properly, but it wouldn't be to play them during an outage (I expect that would drain the UPS quite quickly).

I've never bought a UPS before, so I don't know what to look for. Looking at Newegg, I see a lot of options in the $100-$300 CAD range, and I feel like that's an appropriate budget for what I think my requirements are.

By comparison, if I were to get a UPS for my gaming PC (5950x w/ GTX 3080, 850W PSU) & gaming monitor (1440p 100hz), with the requirement that it be able to last maybe 15 minutes, just enough to make sure I can safely close down whatever game I'm playing, what would I be looking to get?

I already have surge protectors on all my devices (APC P11U2). Would I plug the surge protector into the UPS, plug the UPS into the surge protector, or remove the surge protector from the equation and have my devices plugged into the UPS that's plugged into the wall?

7 minutes ago, Sabarok said:

If an outage does last longer, having my TV and NAS plugged in and able to watch videos for a few hours would be really cool.

Most consumer UPSes will only last maybe 5-10 minutes under load. They're not for "using the devices during outage" and more for "make sure nothing is lost because of outage".

20 minutes ago, Sabarok said:

By comparison, if I were to get a UPS for my gaming PC (5950x w/ GTX 3080, 850W PSU) & gaming monitor (1440p 100hz), with the requirement that it be able to last maybe 15 minutes, just enough to make sure I can safely close down whatever game I'm playing, what would I be looking to get?

Something like this will get you maybe 5 minutes at full load, and you'd be pretty close to max capacity. That size seems to be the cap of "consumer" UPSes before you get into larger/much more expensive models.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | a 10G NIC (pending) | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

29 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

Most consumer UPSes will only last maybe 5-10 minutes under load. They're not for "using the devices during outage" and more for "make sure nothing is lost because of outage".

Something like this will get you maybe 5 minutes at full load, and you'd be pretty close to max capacity. That size seems to be the cap of "consumer" UPSes before you get into larger/much more expensive models.

That is useful info. I was hoping that since my Chromebook's battery can last 6 hours, that a bigger battery on a TV would also have a decent life span.

32 minutes ago, Sabarok said:

That is useful info. I was hoping that since my Chromebook's battery can last 6 hours, that a bigger battery on a TV would also have a decent life span.

LG and Sumsung list around 300w for similar spec tv's. It's a safe bet that you would be in the same range. That is significantly more than a chromebook.

1 hour ago, Sabarok said:

If an outage does last longer, having my TV and NAS plugged in and able to watch videos for a few hours would be really cool. A friend of mine who also has a Synology DS220 said he was able to plug it in via USB so the NAS would safely shut down when the UPS ran low. Having that support would be cool.

You're not going to find a UPS that does this.  That would require a huge amount of power. UPS's are DC powered, usually 48v DC, which then has to be converted to 110AC and this is an inefficient process even with no load, then your PSU converts that AC to DC for the internal components.  This is true for basically everything.  In short, you're looking at 10-20mins of run time on the kind of hardware you want to run.  You'd need a huge pack of batteries to keep a TV and NAS going.

I have a 1500va UPS and I am able to get 2hrs but that involves running under 50w load.  It can run my pfSense box, an unmanaged network switch, and wifi access point for about 2hrs but that run time drops massively when you add any other load.

You're not going to find a UPS that will run your TV and NAS for hours short of something the size of a mini fridge.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

2 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

LG and Sumsung list around 300w for similar spec tv's. It's a safe bet that you would be in the same range. That is significantly more than a chromebook.

1 hour ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

You're not going to find a UPS that does this.  That would require a huge amount of power. UPS's are DC powered, usually 48v DC, which then has to be converted to 110AC and this is an inefficient process even with no load, then your PSU converts that AC to DC for the internal components.  This is true for basically everything.  In short, you're looking at 10-20mins of run time on the kind of hardware you want to run.  You'd need a huge pack of batteries to keep a TV and NAS going.

I have a 1500va UPS and I am able to get 2hrs but that involves running under 50w load.  It can run my pfSense box, an unmanaged network switch, and wifi access point for about 2hrs but that run time drops massively when you add any other load.

You're not going to find a UPS that will run your TV and NAS for hours short of something the size of a mini fridge.

So what I'm hearing is that, instead of using my TV plugged into the UPS, I should use my chromebook (running off its battery, once I've safely turned everything else off).

An outage that lasts more than a few minutes is something like a once-a-year thing, so I'm not going to go far in trying to be setup for that. It sounds like I might be able to get an hour of video streaming to my Chromebook on a UPS that's around $200, which would be a nice bonus.

Thank you for helping to keep things realistic 🙂

2 minutes ago, Sabarok said:

So what I'm hearing is that, instead of using my TV plugged into the UPS, I should use my chromebook (running off its battery, once I've safely turned everything else off).

An outage that lasts more than a few minutes is something like a once-a-year thing, so I'm not going to go far in trying to be setup for that. It sounds like I might be able to get an hour of video streaming to my Chromebook on a UPS that's around $200, which would be a nice bonus.

Thank you for helping to keep things realistic 🙂

If you want something more suitable to keep toys going in a black out, you can look at something like this:

https://www.aimtom.com/product/sps300/

Not this specific model, there's just a whole bunch of things like this.  The key thing is that while this does have a 110v AC port, you don't have to use that, you can turn that off and skip the heavy power draw of the DC to AC converter (And additional loss from the power adapter then doing AC to DC conversion).  You can get the 'car charger' adapter for your laptop and plug that in there instead, that's a DC to DC, same with the additional DC barrel jacks and the USB ports.  Vastly more efficient.  That'll keep your devices charged much better than a UPS ever could.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

9 hours ago, CerealExperimentsLain said:

If you want something more suitable to keep toys going in a black out, you can look at something like this:

https://www.aimtom.com/product/sps300/

Not this specific model, there's just a whole bunch of things like this.  The key thing is that while this does have a 110v AC port, you don't have to use that, you can turn that off and skip the heavy power draw of the DC to AC converter (And additional loss from the power adapter then doing AC to DC conversion).  You can get the 'car charger' adapter for your laptop and plug that in there instead, that's a DC to DC, same with the additional DC barrel jacks and the USB ports.  Vastly more efficient.  That'll keep your devices charged much better than a UPS ever could.

Am I seeing this right that this stores 50x the power? That's a big difference.

2 hours ago, Sabarok said:

Am I seeing this right that this stores 50x the power? That's a big difference.

It's important to understand that this is not really a UPS.  It's a giant phone battery bank with extra connectors.  A UPS sits there and makes sure you keep running even as the power fails.  This you pull out of the closet when you have no other sources of power, or take with you camping or take to the park to run your stuff on the 4th Of July celebrations.   These are not the same kinds of devices.

On 6/15/2021 at 10:58 PM, Sabarok said:

I'm thinking of getting a UPS for my home setup. This is what I'm planning on plugging into it:

• Synology DS220j (12.5W while being accessed according to the website)
  • My 65" TV Sony X900H (I couldn't find power usage specs for it)
  • A cable modem (Technicolor TC4350)
  • Wifi Router (Netgear R6350)

The last few outages I've had have been very brief. So brief that my PC was able to stay up and not reboot, but it did reset my modem, and I had to wait several minutes before I could get back online (and it happened during a meeting while I was talking). I want to have my network gear plugged in for that reason.

There's also the potential of plugging in some idle consoles. I remember the PS3 in particular being rather fussy if it don't get shut down properly, but it wouldn't be to play them during an outage (I expect that would drain the UPS quite quickly).

I've never bought a UPS before, so I don't know what to look for. Looking at Newegg, I see a lot of options in the $100-$300 CAD range, and I feel like that's an appropriate budget for what I think my requirements are.

I already have surge protectors on all my devices (APC P11U2). Would I plug the surge protector into the UPS, plug the UPS into the surge protector, or remove the surge protector from the equation and have my devices plugged into the UPS that's plugged into the wall?

For the TV and NAS it really depends on what powwrr they draw, so first step is to figure out their power draw.

If they draw 80w total or 180w matter ALOT, unless you want to spend s ton, don't expect anything above maybe half an hour, but if you know the power draw that is much easier to say.

One way to figure that out is buying one of those things you put in the socket, then plug the TV, router/modem and NAS in to it, and use it. Then see what it uses, maybe look at max power draw over a time rather than what is right when you look at it. You can also just guess based on the specs but will be little inaccurate.

For the PC, you shouldn't aim for anything above 10 minutes or less unless you want to spend a ton.

Some of the UPS manufacturers have a calculator where you can put in power draw and then see how long it will last on battery, at least Eaton does, maybe APC does too but don't remember, just search the web for them.

Most UPSes have surge protectors built in, so with one you don't need the stand alone surge protector.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking