Will the NH-D15 don't bother my Mobo/RAM/Case ?

Zino2201

Hello !

I'm building a new computer and I bought a 5900X coupled with a NH-D15, 2x16 sticks of RAM, a MSI B550-A Pro Mobo and a Cooler Master MB511 for the case.

I don't have yet all the parts but I was wondering if I can fit the NH-D15 inside my case while not bothering the RAM or any M.2 ports or things like that ? I realized too late that this might be a problem..

Thanks!

It /should/ fit okay.  It's a 165mm cooler, and your case has a 165mm cooler allowance, but it'll be a snug fit.

This biggest issues with the D15 are RAM clearance and case depth. It's both tall and occludes the first slot or two of RAM.

You didn't specify the RAM, but it needs to be 32mm tall or less for the D15 to clear. RAM that height will be referred to as low profile, so look for that in the description. You can stretch that to 40mm if you raise the fan, but that adds to the overall cooler height. If you can just barely accommodate the D15 in your case stock, raising the fan is not an option. You can also just run it with one fan, and there's the D15S for that scenario, but you're then diminishing the total cooling potential.

Noctua created the U12A to solve this exact problem with the D15. It has nearly the same performance, with none of the compatibility issues. That would be the best choice to side step these concerns entirely.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

29 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

This biggest issues with the D15 are RAM clearance and case depth. It's both tall and occludes the first slot or two of RAM.

You didn't specify the RAM, but it needs to be 32mm tall or less for the D15 to clear. RAM that height will be referred to as low profile, so look for that in the description. You can stretch that to 40mm if you raise the fan, but that adds to the overall cooler height. If you can just barely accommodate the D15 in your case stock, raising the fan is not an option. You can also just run it with one fan, and there's the D15S for that scenario, but you're then diminishing the total cooling potential.

Noctua created the U12A to solve this exact problem with the D15. It has nearly the same performance, with none of the compatibility issues. That would be the best choice to side step these concerns entirely.

You can get by the ram height by moving the 2nd fan to the other side. Or removing it altogether, it doesnt affect performance.

The geek himself.

55 minutes ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

You can get by the ram height by moving the 2nd fan to the other side. Or removing it altogether, it doesnt affect performance.

This is true. However I found having the second fan behind the fins in pull causes it to buzz above 50% speed. You can also throw a 120mm fan over the ram in push if you want to.

2 hours ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

I see, so I think I will just remove the fan then, hopefully all this will fit on a MB511 (oh and btw I have a 39 mm tall RAM)

36 minutes ago, Zino2201 said:

I see, so I think I will just remove the fan then, hopefully all this will fit on a MB511 (oh and btw I have a 39 mm tall RAM)

Make sure to install the cooler vertically on the motherboard

The geek himself.

2 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

This is true. However I found having the second fan behind the fins in pull causes it to buzz above 50% speed. You can also throw a 120mm fan over the ram in push if you want to.

That's what the low noise adapter is for

The geek himself.

3 hours ago, President Dawson Wehage said:

That's what the low noise adapter is for

No, the low noise adapter is to limit fan speed when you can't via PWM or voltage regulation. The fans need to be spaced if they are in pull, then they don't buzz. It's a harmonics issue, not just fan noise from high speed.

1 hour ago, Demonic Donut said:

No, the low noise adapter is to limit fan speed when you can't via PWM or voltage regulation. The fans need to be spaced if they are in pull, then they don't buzz. It's a harmonics issue, not just fan noise from high speed.

You're right. Anyway, I have had it running in a single fan and dual fan configuration. There is a slight noise bump, but not enough to be concerned or annoyed with.

The geek himself.

Hey guys! 

Update here, so I've taken a Fractal Design Meshify C case instead of the MB511 case and everything went alright, it fit perfectly! I'm running in single fan mode since I have quite tall RAM (even tho I didn't try running in dual fan mode, but I don't think it'll fit)

I run mine with no mesh or filters and a butt load of fans, such a good little case.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14