WPA2-EAP Repeater to WPA2 - Personal

TekSupport
Go to solution Solved by TekSupport,
23 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Thanks for the clarification. That indeed sounds like a repeater is the only viable solution to this problem.  However, my research into this subject suggests none of the major manufacturers support rebroadcasting WPA2 Enterprise (EAP). Your best bet is to use two dd-wrt routers. One as a receiver, the other one to rebroadcast it.

Currently the only device i have found which may be able to do this for me is the GL.iNET GL-AR300M, which I have ordered and see if it actually does, if not i will give your suggestion a go, Thanks for the help.

39 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@TekSupport

You're not going to find a traditional wireless repeater or range extender that can do this. Either the Netgear personnel misinterpreted what you asked or had no clue whatsoever.

My recommendation for cost-effectiveness is to use a regular wireless router that supports WPA2-EAP and being run in client/bridge mode. In client/bridge mode, you essentially convert the router to a large wireless antenna that your wired/wireless clients can use to access the network on the other side of the wireless link. This might only be possible with third-party firmware like DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWRT (if supported by the router in the first place) and you're probably going to see speed/latency deterioration especially if you'll be rebroadcasting to wireless clients.

On the other hand, if you have a larger budget, an alternative is to use a long-range antenna to lock on to the wireless uplink (provided it supports WPA2-EAP), wire that into a switch, then use a completely different AP connected to the switch that has its own wireless settings. This setup shouldn't suffer as much from speed/latency deterioration as what was mentioned before.

The Wireless repeater, GL.iNET GL-AR300M runs on openWRT so I'm hoping this should do the trick as it should support WPA2-EAP.

Also speed and latency isn't a huge concern as the information being communicated is not data intensive and usually runs on a IOT sim card using about of 10MB a month.

Thanks.

I'm trying to get a wifi repeater that connects to a WPA2-EAP network then transmits a new SSID with WPA2-Personal.

After speaking to someone at netgear they said that the NetGear EX6120 would support it, but it doesn't.

It does retransmit a new SSID but isn't compatible with WPA2-EAP.

Ideally if this is something that is compact.

This sounds like a way to get around a security measure put in place by the network admin.

Could you elaborate on your exact intentions here?

Can't you just login with the WPA2 Enterprise login credentials you received for connecting to the network in the first place?

If they only allow a single device/session per account, then that's policy you'll have to adhere to.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

10 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

This sounds like a way to get around a security measure put in place by the network admin.

Could you elaborate on your exact intentions here?

Can't you just login with the WPA2 Enterprise login credentials you received for connecting to the network in the first place?

If they only allow a single device/session per account, then that's policy you'll have to adhere to.

We have a IOT telemetry Device that we usually setup with a 4g board but because in this customer site the mobile signal is non existent, and without setting up a external antenna system which will set us down at least £1000, we replaced this with a wifi board however this does not support WPA2-EAP so the manufacture of the IOT device suggested we use a Wifi Repeater to work as a middle man. (we have a group of 4 of these devices in one area and trying to look for a cost effective solution).

We have access and credentials for the WPA2-EAP, also the credentials we were given are for the use on multiple devices. (5 in total).

If there is an alternative solution for this let me know.

Thanks

1 hour ago, TekSupport said:

We have a IOT telemetry Device that we usually setup with a 4g board but because in this customer site the mobile signal is non existent, and without setting up a external antenna system which will set us down at least £1000, we replaced this with a wifi board however this does not support WPA2-EAP so the manufacture of the IOT device suggested we use a Wifi Repeater to work as a middle man. (we have a group of 4 of these devices in one area and trying to look for a cost effective solution).

We have access and credentials for the WPA2-EAP, also the credentials we were given are for the use on multiple devices. (5 in total).

If there is an alternative solution for this let me know.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. That indeed sounds like a repeater is the only viable solution to this problem.  However, my research into this subject suggests none of the major manufacturers support rebroadcasting WPA2 Enterprise (EAP). Your best bet is to use two dd-wrt routers. One as a receiver, the other one to rebroadcast it.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

@TekSupport

You're not going to find a traditional wireless repeater or range extender that can do this. Either the Netgear personnel misinterpreted what you asked or had no clue whatsoever.

My recommendation for cost-effectiveness is to use a regular wireless router that supports WPA2-EAP and being run in client/bridge mode. In client/bridge mode, you essentially convert the router to a large wireless antenna that your wired/wireless clients can use to access the network on the other side of the wireless link. This might only be possible with third-party firmware like DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWRT (if supported by the router in the first place) and you're probably going to see speed/latency deterioration especially if you'll be rebroadcasting to wireless clients.

On the other hand, if you have a larger budget, an alternative is to use a long-range antenna to lock on to the wireless uplink (provided it supports WPA2-EAP), wire that into a switch, then use a completely different AP connected to the switch that has its own wireless settings. This setup shouldn't suffer as much from speed/latency deterioration as what was mentioned before.

23 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Currently the only device i have found which may be able to do this for me is the GL.iNET GL-AR300M, which I have ordered and see if it actually does, if not i will give your suggestion a go, Thanks for the help.

39 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@TekSupport

The Wireless repeater, GL.iNET GL-AR300M runs on openWRT so I'm hoping this should do the trick as it should support WPA2-EAP.

Also speed and latency isn't a huge concern as the information being communicated is not data intensive and usually runs on a IOT sim card using about of 10MB a month.

Thanks.

On 6/16/2021 at 7:11 AM, TekSupport said:

OK. Well, keep us posted.

On 6/19/2021 at 11:40 AM, Falcon1986 said:

OK. Well, keep us posted.

Well ran a quick test and it allows connection to a WPA2-EAP network and then broadcasts WPA2-PSK network. Will have to wait till i can get this installed in the customers' site and make sure they are ok with it, beforehand.

Thanks all for the help.

Have the wireless admins look at "MAC authentication"   This will allow your IOT device to connect to the WPA network.  It functions by the  Authenticator (AP or the controller), submitting authentication on behalf of the client not supporting 802.1x Authentication (WPA2 Enterprise).