Is the Apple Magic Keyboard compatible with Windows and Linux?

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by Tensimeter,

I've been able to use a magic keyboard on linux just fine. All standard keyboard functions work exactly as it should.

A "problem" you might have is the command key's purpose can become confusing, since windows and linux will both use ctrl+c for copy and not command+c like macs. But you'll get used to it pretty quickly, and you can always set custom shortcuts for keys.

Also pairing can be finicky but that's just bluetooth.

Edit: I've never tried it over usb, so Im not sure. I dont see why it wouldnt work since bluetooth is more complex and works fine anyway.

I've been able to use a magic keyboard on linux just fine. All standard keyboard functions work exactly as it should.

A "problem" you might have is the command key's purpose can become confusing, since windows and linux will both use ctrl+c for copy and not command+c like macs. But you'll get used to it pretty quickly, and you can always set custom shortcuts for keys.

Edit: I've never tried it over usb, so Im not sure. I dont see why it wouldnt work since bluetooth is more complex and works fine anyway.

Edited by Tensimeter

to be honest, there is no need for a magic keyboard as it is just a really expensive membrane keyboard. Go for a logitech work keyboard lol. But to answer your question, im pretty sure it is compatible with both. Not sure though.

6 minutes ago, Tensimeter said:

Yeah that is true, usb is easier too

I am currently using a full-size Magic Keyboard (one with numpad) with Windows with cable. It works, but the media keys do not respond and the Fn buttons doesn't work/switch either. A few buttons are switched too. I didn't try Bluetooth though. Some say, that bootcamp support software should be installed, which installs the keyboard driver, but I haven't gotten around to testing this yet.

On Linux (Fedora and PopOS distros), it worked fine out of the box without any issues, Bluetooth or cable.

In reality, if you are looking for a new keyboard and you're not using Mac, I'd look for something else.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

If you are using both Mac and Windows, I'd go with the Logitech MxKeys, in design it looks very similar to the Magic Keyboard. I have one and l like it.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:20 PM, Hi P said:

I'm talking about this one:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MLA22LL/A/magic-keyboard-us-english

I don't wanna mess it up and buy something that I can't use.

Does anyone know if that keyboard works on Windows and Linux both via USB and Bluetooth?

I use one exclusively via Bluetooth on windows 10. Works fine other than the secondary functions on the top row. Really wish it had working media keys...