6800 XT failing under stress and benchmarks

shorty35424

Hello all,

I have a brand new 6800 XT that I have upgraded to. Everything functioned perfectly before with a 1080 Ti. Now after the upgrade it stutters and eventually fails when running and kind of game or benchmark. Sometimes it totally dies to a black screen, other times it just says the benchmark (GFX) was "Canceled". 

My specs: 5900x, 32gb ram, X570 Gaming MOBO, Seasonic 750FM

I'm a bit of a beginner here so please let me know what would be helpful to diagnose the issue here. I have MSI afterburner so I can post any information that is relevent when it crashes. Willing to do whatever, it was such a hassle to get this card so I'm pretty disappointed. Would be a bummer if I have to RMA it.

Thanks Everyone!

2 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

What PSU? Can you check what temps it hits when it crashes?

Sorry, meant to include that. It's a seasonic 750FM. 

It was making it to 62 C before crashing. Something of note, the fan speed was hitting "24" when it crashed, which I think is a percentage? So the fans never even make it past a quarter of their max.

12 minutes ago, shorty35424 said:

Sorry, meant to include that. It's a seasonic 750FM. 

It was making it to 62 C before crashing. Something of note, the fan speed was hitting "24" when it crashed, which I think is a percentage? So the fans never even make it past a quarter of their max.

The reason it only goes to 24% is that it doesn't need to go higher. 62c is great under load. Try underclocking the GPU in AMD's control panel. If that makes it stable you can add voltage (which I don't recommend because it can damage the card). Still it shouldn't be like that and if the underclock works you will have to RMA it...

2 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

The reason it only goes to 24% is that it doesn't need to go higher. 62c is great under load. Try underclocking the GPU in AMD's control panel. If that makes it stable you can add voltage (which I don't recommend because it can damage the card). Still it shouldn't be like that and if the underclock works you will have to RMA it...

Oh ok, was wondering that about the fans, makes sense. Ok I'll give that a try.

I'm not sure if you have any experience with this but I figure I'll ask here... If I RMA it there is no chance they send a new card for me switch it out with first... right? This is work computer as well and it won't work without the GPU from what I understand.

2 minutes ago, shorty35424 said:

Oh ok, was wondering that about the fans, makes sense. Ok I'll give that a try.

I'm not sure if you have any experience with this but I figure I'll ask here... If I RMA it there is no chance they send a new card for me switch it out with first... right? This is work computer as well and it won't work without the GPU from what I understand.

Depends what manufacturer you bought it from. Some will instantly replace it, some will repair. With the repair some will give a GPU to use in the mean time and some won't. I currently have an RTX 2060 from the store while waiting for my old GPU to be fixed. If you say you need the GPU for work they will probably give something else for the time being.

1 minute ago, Pixelfie said:

Depends what manufacturer you bought it from. Some will instantly replace it, some will repair. With the repair some will give a GPU to use in the mean time and some won't. I currently have an RTX 2060 from the store while waiting for my old GPU to be fixed. If you say you need the GPU for work they will probably give something else for the time being.

That would be amazing. I got it direct from AMD so we'll see.

Did you DDU before upgrading?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

5 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

Did you DDU before upgrading?

It seems a good number of GPU upgraders tend to forget this. When swapping out cards from different companies (AMD, nVidia) or simply upgrading cards from same company (AMD to AMD, nVidia to nVidia), it's always better to err on side of safety by running DDU first, before shutting down system to swap out the cards.

Even when I'd swapped out my Vega64 to the 6900 XT, I'd run AMDCleanuputility (AMD's own sorta DDU) to wipe all traces of previous driver before shutting down and swapping out the cards. nVidia has this tab for 'Clean Install' and I think many misunderstand what it means (or at least, I think so), they believe it means wiping out all traces of previous driver (like DDU) but it does not.

From my understanding, 'Clean Install' means that all previous GPU setting would get cleaned so you start anew. To thoroughly clean a system of all traces of previous driver, run AMD Cleanuputility (for AMD only) or DDU (both AMD and nVidia).

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Have you overclocked the card at all?

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

On 6/14/2021 at 10:03 PM, GamerDude said:

It seems a good number of GPU upgraders tend to forget this. When swapping out cards from different companies (AMD, nVidia) or simply upgrading cards from same company (AMD to AMD, nVidia to nVidia), it's always better to err on side of safety by running DDU first, before shutting down system to swap out the cards.

Even when I'd swapped out my Vega64 to the 6900 XT, I'd run AMDCleanuputility (AMD's own sorta DDU) to wipe all traces of previous driver before shutting down and swapping out the cards. nVidia has this tab for 'Clean Install' and I think many misunderstand what it means (or at least, I think so), they believe it means wiping out all traces of previous driver (like DDU) but it does not.

From my understanding, 'Clean Install' means that all previous GPU setting would get cleaned so you start anew. To thoroughly clean a system of all traces of previous driver, run AMD Cleanuputility (for AMD only) or DDU (both AMD and nVidia).

Sorry I was not aware of this! I thought it was ok to swap cards considering everything was recognized ok, it just seemed to be failing under load. I'll give this a try when I have a minute, thanks!

10 minutes ago, shorty35424 said:

Sorry I was not aware of this! I thought it was ok to swap cards considering everything was recognized ok, it just seemed to be failing under load. I'll give this a try when I have a minute, thanks!

Before running DDU, make sure that it does not allow Windows to download a driver in the 'Settings' tab, or you can have the new driver saved in your rig. You can either disconnect your LAN cable, or disable WiFi, before running DDU, run DDU in 'Safe Mode'.

Upon restart, run Adrenalin driver installation, and you may have to restart after this. Then, let's see where you land after this.

Edit - Oh yeah, before running DDU, there is a tab for Video/Audio and you should choose Video, see if nVidia is still there, if it is, run DDU to uninstall whatever that's left. I believe there should be some leftover nVidia driver there that may need to be wiped off before uninstalling AMD driver. I'm not sure about this though as I've always used AMDCleanuputility or DDU to delete all traces of a previous driver before swapping out the cards.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2