Silent PSU for SLI

Go to solution Solved by Faa,

I couldn't really many of them. Be quiet exists, but not the Straight Power line.

The seasonic K is also more expensive than the Corsair.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ss750km

*does corsair not produce good quality products or something? You sound very against it*

The RM series are just mediocre, their quality is nothing compared to seasonic. http://hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/9#.Uzy-G_l_uGM

You're better off with an XFX 750W http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bbefx

PCPARTPICKER LINK

Case: Fractal design define R4 [black pearl]

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+

GPUs: EVGA GTX 460 (2)

RAM: G.skill 8gb DDR3 

PSU: Corsair RM850 850W Fully modular

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

I'm looking for a cheap but quiet PSU, supposedly around $100-$200 CAD for both of my power consuming cards.

Special thanks to JelleDekkers,tmcclelland455, and Real_PhillBert for helping me choose the PSU

Quiet? RM850 :)

Corsair RM850 or if you want to go nuts, get one of their AXi PSU's.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I will echo the good advice listed above, Corsair RM or AX(i) series.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

The XFX PSU is good I think, or maybe get the gold rated version? I have the gold rated version and its quiet. Though why are you willing to spend 700-1000 on a PSU? No PSU costs that much I think.

The XFX PSU is good I think, or maybe get the gold rated version? I have the gold rated version and its quiet. Though why are you willing to spend 700-1000 on a PSU? No PSU costs that much I think.

Oh shoot, no that's the whole PC's upgrade budget. o.e oops sorry

edit: fixed the budget P:

gtx460 SLI will consume roughly around 300w +- and adding the cpu around 140w = <450w total power use estimate. Your 850w psu is way more than enough and that XFX unit is a really good psu. If you wanna save some money,maybe downgrade a bit to a 750w.

No problem man. Glad I could offer some help.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

gtx460 SLI will consume roughly around 300w +- and adding the cpu around 140w = <450w total power use estimate. Your 850w psu is way more than enough and that XFX unit is a really good psu. If you wanna save some money,maybe downgrade a bit to a 750w.

I was told by a user of 460 sli to go for more than 700, yes 750w is applicable, but why not 850w?

I'm also really going for a quiet PSU

The TDP of the gtx 460 is 160w http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-460/specifications . You'd be fine on a 550w PSU lol (unless you have an AMD FX CPU or an i7-e). 2x 160w = 320w (at stock clocks at the very maximum), OC'ed i7 4770k is about 150w (at 4.8Ghz which is suuuuuper rare) = 470w, = 80w left for your fans, motherboard, ram, HDD/SSDs. 

850w is very over kill. If you want the option to sli the highest end of the high end then yeah, 850w and your good to go.

P.S. You'll love the Corsair RM PSU's the'yre amazing <3.

Rumikarimu, on 02 Apr 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

I was told by a user of 460 sli to go for more than 700, yes 750w is applicable, but why not 850w?

I'm also really going for a quiet PSU

Like I've said, total power consumption under max load on both cpu on gpu would be around 450w (stock clock), which is unrealistic in everyday use,even during gaming. Realisticaly it would probably be just around <375w. You can still use that 850w however. But you can also save a little bit money and get the 750w, or even a 650w if you want to,with some headroom for OC. Bearing in mind psu tend to be most efficient around 40-70% load iinm. And you aren't going to game or do benchmark most of the time so do the math.

Like I've said, total power consumption under max load on both cpu on gpu would be around 450w (stock clock), which is unrealistic in everyday use,even during gaming. Realisticaly it would probably be just around <375w. You can still use that 850w however. But you can also save a little bit money and get the 750w, or even a 650w if you want to,with some headroom for OC. Bearing in mind psu tend to be most efficient around 40-70% load iinm. And you aren't going to game or do benchmark most of the time so do the math.

hmm...

ok maybe 750?

Rumikarimu, on 03 Apr 2014 - 03:22 AM, said:

hmm...

ok maybe 750?

Sure. 

Sigh, another lost to the Corsair hive mind.

Go with:

Be Quiet! Straight Power 750 or above

Antec EarthWatts 750 or above

Seasonic K 750 or above

Cougar GX850

Edit: oh it's just Fermi SLi, then go with something cheap like Corsair as efficiency, low wattage operation and noise is pointless.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Sigh, another lost to the Corsair hive mind.

Go with:

Be Quiet! Straight Power 750 or above

Antec EarthWatts 750 or above

Seasonic K 750 or above

Cougar GX850

Edit: oh it's just Fermi SLi, then go with something cheap like Corsair as efficiency, low wattage operation and noise is pointless.

I couldn't really find many of them. Be quiet exists, but not the Straight Power line.

IvxYDb2.png

*does corsair not produce good quality products or something? You sound very against it*

I couldn't really many of them. Be quiet exists, but not the Straight Power line.

The RM series are just mediocre, their quality is nothing compared to seasonic. http://hardocp.com/article/2013/11/13/corsair_rm750_750w_power_supply_review/9#.Uzy-G_l_uGM

You're better off with an XFX 750W http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1750bbefx

dolla dolla dolla sign.

however, the XFX does look very nice, and I'm getting a window case which I'll be looking down upon.

--

ya' see, this is why I ask you guys! xD

Wow people show some creativity. Every time someone makes a thread asking for a silent PSU the first few comments are people suggesting the RM Series.