Triple laptop dock for Samsung G9 super ultra wide (Gaming, Work, Mac)

Hi,

I have a Samsung G9 super ultrawide that supports 5120x1440@240Hz (with Display Stream Compression) over DisplayPort 1.4 and 5120x1440@120Hz over HDMI 2.0. The tricky part is I have 3 laptops that I use regularly and I am trying to find a dock or cable solution that makes using the 3 laptops easy. The Samsung G9 is amazing btw and if you have the money, I can highly recommend it for immersive first person gaming. 

The Samsung G9 has 2 Display port inputs along with a single HDMI input.

Laptops:

1. Razer Blade 15 Advanced 2021 with 3080
  2. HP ZBook Studio G5 (work laptop)
  3. MacBook Pro 13-inch  2019 Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

I use the Razer and work laptop every day while I only use the mac every now and then but I would like to have it also easily hooked up to the Samsung G9.

Right now I am using a couple of 8k USB-C to DisplayPort cables to connect both my Windows laptops. This does work well. The laptops are connected to the DisplayPort 1 and DisplayPort 2 inputs respectively and I switch between them using the Samsung G9's On-screen display (this is a bit annoying as I have to click the button a total of 4 times every time I switch once). The Razor runs at full 240Hz which is amazing and the HP work laptop runs at 120Hz which is all I need for work. Finally the MacBookPro is connected to the HDMI input using a USB-C to HDMI cable. So far I have not been able to get this to work. I think I need to try another cable. The MacBookPro connects fine over the same DisplayPort to USB-C cable the windows laptop use but seems to be stuck at 60Hz too.

For peripherals I use wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse that I have to manually swap the USB-A dongles between the 3 laptops when I want to switch. This is a pain. Although I can technically use Bluetooth for peripherals on all 3 laptops. I tend to avoid Bluetooth as it just sometimes does not pair or is in general a pain.

I have done some research but I have not found a single dock that exists that can support my requirements. Seen both the Anker and CalDigit docks. I don't believe either will work for 5120x1440@240Hz?

Any recommendations?

Am I stuck using the Samsung G9's On-screen display to switch between each laptop along with a regular USB dock for peripherals?

Note the Razer laptop needs to be plugged in to their special power brick to function for gaming, I believe. I am mainly trying to tackle display and peripherals and not power. 

Thanks.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:35 PM, SamLeach said:

Hi,

I have a Samsung G9 super ultrawide that supports 5120x1440@240Hz (with Display Stream Compression) over DisplayPort 1.4 and 5120x1440@120Hz over HDMI 2.0. The tricky part is I have 3 laptops that I use regularly and I am trying to find a dock or cable solution that makes using the 3 laptops easy. The Samsung G9 is amazing btw and if you have the money, I can highly recommend it for immersive first person gaming. 

The Samsung G9 has 2 Display port inputs along with a single HDMI input.

Laptops:

1. Razer Blade 15 Advanced 2021 with 3080
  2. HP ZBook Studio G5 (work laptop)
  3. MacBook Pro 13-inch  2019 Two Thunderbolt 3 ports

I use the Razer and work laptop every day while I only use the mac every now and then but I would like to have it also easily hooked up to the Samsung G9.

Right now I am using a couple of 8k USB-C to DisplayPort cables to connect both my Windows laptops. This does work well. The laptops are connected to the DisplayPort 1 and DisplayPort 2 inputs respectively and I switch between them using the Samsung G9's On-screen display (this is a bit annoying as I have to click the button a total of 4 times every time I switch once). The Razor runs at full 240Hz which is amazing and the HP work laptop runs at 120Hz which is all I need for work. Finally the MacBookPro is connected to the HDMI input using a USB-C to HDMI cable. So far I have not been able to get this to work. I think I need to try another cable. The MacBookPro connects fine over the same DisplayPort to USB-C cable the windows laptop use but seems to be stuck at 60Hz too.

For peripherals I use wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse that I have to manually swap the USB-A dongles between the 3 laptops when I want to switch. This is a pain. Although I can technically use Bluetooth for peripherals on all 3 laptops. I tend to avoid Bluetooth as it just sometimes does not pair or is in general a pain.

I have done some research but I have not found a single dock that exists that can support my requirements. Seen both the Anker and CalDigit docks. I don't believe either will work for 5120x1440@240Hz?

Any recommendations?

Am I stuck using the Samsung G9's On-screen display to switch between each laptop along with a regular USB dock for peripherals?

Note the Razer laptop needs to be plugged in to their special power brick to function for gaming, I believe. I am mainly trying to tackle display and peripherals and not power. 

Thanks.

Sounds like what you're looking for is a KVM switch. Google it and see what you can find. 

• 1 month later...

You need an advanced DP 1.4/1.4a KVM switch for 4 systems (there are no for 3 systems currently in the market).  Make sure the DP 1.4 KVM switch can support 240Hz monitors and provide EDID emulation /EDID feeding functions to all connected systems and all video outputs.