8600K Heat is unstable

This happened to me after updating my bios. (2018 to 2020) my cpu would never hit above 49 degrees on everywhere and was idling at 29 degrees. 

But after i did a bios update, even on 3.60 GHZ it hits 60 degrees ish.

I cant even do 5GHZ because it randomly spikes to 80 degrees and on stress tests it reaches around 95-100 

What happened to my cpu? 

I always use it on 3.6 because my GPU is not great and doesnt need 8600K's full power. Specs:

Mx4 thermal paste

Reeven hans rc1205 cpu cooler

GT301 case (4 fans)

Gtx 1060 3gb

16 gb 3200mhz ram

12 minutes ago, Adam5600 said:

This happened to me after updating my bios. (2018 to 2020) my cpu would never hit above 49 degrees on everywhere and was idling at 29 degrees. 

But after i did a bios update, even on 3.60 GHZ it hits 60 degrees ish.

I cant even do 5GHZ because it randomly spikes to 80 degrees and on stress tests it reaches around 95-100 

Thats why you mostly never update your motherboards BIOS, UNLESS you really need to (like cpu support, maybe a protection issue with older bios etc). It can bring on some really big problems, rather than fixing your non-existing problems.

Can you confirm that the CPUs voltage is still set to default/auto?

You didnt do anything else with it after/before you updated the bios?

1 minute ago, DankDeuxez said:

Thats why you mostly never update your motherboards BIOS, UNLESS you really need to (like cpu support, maybe a protection issue with older bios etc). It can bring on some really big problems, rather than fixing your non-existing problems.

Yeah. I would never recommend anyone to update their BIOS unless they are having compatibility issues with some hardware and that BIOS is known to fix it. 

Go through the CPU voltage and power settings, probably changed something back to default you had turned off or turned down. It sounds like you had turbo disabled or it underclocked? If so then load line calibration may be set too high for the clocks you're running or voltage on auto may be higher than you need now. You'll likely have to manually tune it back to where you want. Sometimes 'stability improvements' just mean feeding more volts.

12 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

Yeah, all set default but i noticed after bios update cpu were seeing 4.2 GHZ 

(Default was 3.6 ghz) i tried adjusting the voltage my self(1.0 core voltage and 3.60 core clock) still not bad but it saw 60 degrees.. 

I dont even want to oc it to 5 ghz because the computer starts to burn 

For example my m.2 spectrix s40g ssd saw 67 degrees today(its below the cpu cooler)

So idk what to do.. I want to go back to the old bios..

1 minute ago, Adam5600 said:

Yeah, all set default but i noticed after bios update cpu were seeing 4.2 GHZ 

(Default was 3.6 ghz) i tried adjusting the voltage my self(1.0 core voltage and 3.60 core clock) still not bad but it saw 60 degrees.. 

I dont even want to oc it to 5 ghz because the computer starts to burn 

For example my m.2 spectrix s40g ssd saw 67 degrees today(its below the cpu cooler)

So idk what to do.. I want to go back to the old bios..

Well i suppose you could download and flash the older bios instead. Tho it would be best if you had a backup of your old BIOS directly, instead of downloading it from online. Try that, if it doesnt fix it, id still stay on it instead of flashing it once again to the newest.

Im just reapplying my thermal paste. This was the contact by the way. 

5 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

Well i suppose you could download and flash the older bios instead. Tho it would be best if you had a backup of your old BIOS directly, instead of downloading it from online. Try that, if it doesnt fix it, id still stay on it instead of flashing it once again to the newest.

20210613_180425.jpg

Just now, Adam5600 said:

Im just reapplying my thermal paste. This was the contact by the way. 

20210613_180425.jpg

TIP: Double click on a image to resize it and to get other cool options!

Now, that thermal paste definitely isnt the cause behind this problem. Looks fresh, a bit on the "too much" side, but not by far. Reapply some thermal paste and check, tho as i stated previously, i seriously doubt that is the issue.

10 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

TIP: Double click on a image to resize it and to get other cool options!

Now, that thermal paste definitely isnt the cause behind this problem. Looks fresh, a bit on the "too much" side, but not by far. Reapply some thermal paste and check, tho as i stated previously, i seriously doubt that is the issue.

I dont know much about overclocking. I only change core clock and core voltage. I think with the new bios there was adaptive mode - auto mode, which it sets the voltage it self. 

And this cpu is De-lidded. Only if it was a correct delidding. When i put this to 5.1 GHZ all cores runs at 78-84 except core 3. That core runs at 95-100. Sadly.  I think ill have to run with this now. Unfortunate that i will never ever see 29 degrees again

2 minutes ago, Adam5600 said:

I dont know much about overclocking. I only change core clock and core voltage. I think with the new bios there was adaptive mode - auto mode, which it sets the voltage it self. 

And this cpu is De-lidded. Only if it was a correct delidding. When i put this to 5.1 GHZ all cores runs at 78-84 except core 3. That core runs at 95-100. Sadly.  I think ill have to run with this now. Unfortunate that i will never ever see 29 degrees again

You absolutely can see low temps again, the motherboard and CPU and cooler are all the same still. You just need to go through the BIOS menus, learn what the options are and what they do, and experiment with turning things on/off and up/down until you get what you want. It only takes some time investment from yourself!

28 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You absolutely can see low temps again, the motherboard and CPU and cooler are all the same still. You just need to go through the BIOS menus, learn what the options are and what they do, and experiment with turning things on/off and up/down until you get what you want. It only takes some time investment from yourself!

I found a middle spot and im happy about it. 4.5 GHZ and 1.150 adaptive voltage = stress tested and it reached 62 degrees top.

Idle is 39 to 42. Thats great for me

And no ssd overheating or something like that, computer is running very cool. 

Thanks everyone for the help!

20210613_185454.jpg

4 minutes ago, Adam5600 said:

I found a middle spot and im happy about it. 4.5 GHZ and 1.150 adaptive voltage = stress tested and it reached 62 degrees top.

Idle is 39 to 42. Thats great for me

And no ssd overheating or something like that, computer is running very cool. 

Thanks everyone for the help!

Nice work, you get another 1Ghz out of it (not a small amount!) and I bet it's just nearly as quiet as before.