PSU circuit breaker problems

alexander.o
Go to solution Solved by akio123008,
5 hours ago, alexander.o said:

According to the seller, it's due to the PSU not having a on/off switch, and that the capacitors "fill" themselves up, and that current draw is over my circuit's breaker.

The capacity of a computer power supply's input capacitors isn't big enough to trip breakers, unless the circuit is very, very heaviliy loaded already. 

Given you haven't mentioned any other problems with the electrical system, I highly suspect the PSU is the problem. 

Here's what you need to do:

- first of all, identify that what popped is definitely a breaker, not an RCD (residual current device). Both are usually installed in your house, and they look quite similar but have different functions. Which one of these tripped is important, because it identifies a very different kind of issue (the details of which I won't go into in this post)

- If you have a multimeter, you can test if the power supply's input is dodgy. Set it to continuity (beeping) mode and probe between all these pins:

image.png.a52adc283dd0c232e1d6388740236f8d.png

You may hear it beep for say half a second (as caps get charged), but then it should stop. If at any point, probing any combination of these pins, you hear a continuous beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep that doesn't stop, that thing is bad. You can then troubleshoot further what's wrong with it, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

- Finally:

5 hours ago, alexander.o said:

According to the seller,

How about you take it to his place and plug it in. Has he recently tested it or has this thing been on a shelf for a couple years?

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I remember seeing a video about counterfeit breakers by a guy in the UK

Haha if only the OP had those. The problem would be solved as they never trip!

3 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

9, 12, 13 and 14 would work, but it might be difficult to pull your oven out the way etc.

One thing though, the one at 10 (garage?) uses a different looking breaker. Perhaps that one is a C type which will react slower. It's possible they installed that because people tend to use power tools in their shed or outdoors. You could try the computer on that circuit.

Good idea - guess I can try that?

I'll update you!

Just now, alexander.o said:

Good idea - guess I can try that?

I'll update you!

See edit as well

3 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

See edit as well

It worked. Plugged it in (only PSU, no cables connected to it). Power was never turned off. I tried the garage. So your suspicions are correct!

4 minutes ago, alexander.o said:

So your suspicions are correct!

About the garage using a heavier duty breaker I guess.

About the inrush being the problem, well to be fair others got that first. (including the seller). I didn't expect the breaker to trip that easily since I personally run everything on C-type 16A breakers/fuses so I'd never seen a power supply trip a breaker.

Just now, akio123008 said:

About the garage using a heavier duty breaker I guess.

About the inrush being the problem, well to be fair others got that first. (including the seller). I didn't expect the breaker to trip that easily since I run everything on C-type 16A breakers/fuses so I'd never seen a power supply trip a breaker.

>About the garage using a heavier duty breaker I guess.

Correct. 

>About the inrush being the problem, well to be fair others got that first. (including the seller). I didn't expect the breaker to trip that easily since I run everything on C-type 16A breakers/fuses so I'd never seen a power supply trip a breaker

Well I'm very happy you helped me find the issue. 

15 hours ago, Elisis said:

Inrush current can be a huge problem with certain units, so that's not quite true...image.png.06b3afb100e13ac0f6baad6840d8b066.png

@alexander.oI would heavily recommend replacing the PSU even if you manage to get it to work due to its age and resultant shittiness by modern standards

You are correct! I tried it on a slower-reacting circuit (my garage), and no breakers were tripped. Thanks for your contributions!