PSU cables work across brands? (did i just kill my system)

MERCENARY_TAO__
Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
Just now, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

I was under the impression that PSUs were standardized...

The connections that go into devices are. The modular side isn't.

NEVER EVER EVER mix PSU cables across brands. Between brands is fine - most of the time - but NEVER EVER across brands, as your PC just demonstrated.

New shiny 3080

Old PSU from corsair cant take it and all the fans, pumps, and lights plugged into it, overheats and shuts system down.

New PSU from EVGA gets put in.

CPU and 24pin dont fit, replace cables with the new ones.

All other cables just slot in fine.

Turn system on, fan controller catches fire, lots of clicking from idk where.

Pulled plug.

Did all my components not using EVGAs supplied cables just die? I was under the impression that PSUs were standardized... Why did my fan controller decide it couldn't handle life anymore?

Just now, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

I was under the impression that PSUs were standardized...

NEVER EVER EVER mix PSU cables across brands. Between brands is fine - most of the time - but NEVER EVER across brands, as your PC just demonstrated.

elephants

1 minute ago, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

New shiny 3080

Old PSU from corsair cant take it and all the fans, pumps, and lights plugged into it, overheats and shuts system down.

New PSU from EVGA gets put in.

All other cables just slot in fine.

Turn system on, fan controller catches fire, lots of clicking from idk where.

Pulled plug.

Did all my components not using EVGAs supplied cables just die? I was under the impression that PSUs were standardized... Why did my fan controller decide it couldn't handle life anymore?

PSUs aren't standardized, and it's very possible that you just did. You can look up the pinouts of the modular side to see if you just sent 12vo to ground or something and got lucky, but odds are you just fried something. Hope it's a hard drive or something and you have a backup. 

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

That is so dumb it makes my brain hurt. Why collaborate to make sure your cables work seamlessly; but only on one side? So dumb...

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

PSUs aren't standardized, and it's very possible that you just did. You can look up the pinouts of the modular side to see if you just sent 12vo to ground or something and got lucky, but odds are you just fried something. Hope it's a hard drive or something and you have a backup. 

We're just gonna deal with this rats nest of cables tomorrow and pray...

5 minutes ago, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

That is so dumb it makes my brain hurt. Why collaborate to make sure your cables work seamlessly; but only on one side? So dumb...

Because they didn't collaborate. The cable standards were made by Intel when they released the ATX form factor, and PSU manufacturers were left to their own to make the modular cables work with their PSUs. Even within the same brand can have different types of cables, as I believe there are 2 or 3 different pinouts from Corsair. Some of it comes down to it just being easier to do it one way, and another is that if you ever need to get aftermarket cables, they want it to be you can only buy from them. 

4 minutes ago, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

its dumb, but wotking together to make both ends standard would make the brand loose money, so they make the pinouts/conectors proprietary, so only they can sell them.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

PCIe, EPS12V, SATA weren't created by the PSU manufacturers. Those standards were created by Intel.

13 minutes ago, MERCENARY_TAO__ said:

You realised the motherboard and CPU cable didn't fit so you should have known right then the cables aren't standardised and were not compatible and that you needed to use the cables that come with the PSU.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Some of it comes down to it just being easier to do it one way, and another is that if you ever need to get aftermarket cables, they want it to be you can only buy from them. 

They don't care about selling aftermarket cables. Most PSU brands don't even sell cables separately. 

It's really just down to what their designs specify and what the OEMs offer. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Because they didn't collaborate. 

This. Those who standardized their own pinouts, did so in the vacuum of their own offices without any kind of "collaboration".  Connectors on the motherboard are defined by Intel.  Connectors on the PSU are defined by whoever makes the PSU.

3 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

its dumb, but wotking together to make both ends standard would make the brand loose money, so they make the pinouts/conectors proprietary, so only they can sell them.

I like loose money.  It can be spent on all sorts of sundry out of pocket things like extortion, etc.  But that's not the reason.  I talk to guys like Cablemod all the time to make sure they make proper cables that are correct.  It's not about selling aftermarket cables.  If everyone came together today and made all of their cables compatible, that would be great for everyone moving forward from today.  But would then make everything they made in the past not pin compatible with what they made in the past.

We got one dead ssd and a fan controller… but everything else is alive!