Diskettes.

Anyone else use diskettes in this day and age? I do. I still use XP myself. 

I'm beginning to think windows 10 doesn't like my new USB floppy drive.

I have a USB 3.5"  floppy drive, and though I used it last probably a year ago it worked fine with 10.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 minute ago, Teddy2002 said:

Anyone else use diskettes in this day and age?

I remember my dad being the half techie he was, moving his entire diskette collection to a CD or printing it out in like early 06. He promptly lost the CD but the prints are still in my house to today. Thats the last time i ever used a floppy, the next time i encounter a floppy was a dead one in 2011 which was used by the teacher for coasters. It was a good frisbee.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

I have a USB 3.5"  floppy drive, and though I used it last probably a year ago it worked fine with 10.

So I copied the bliss background from XP to a floppy. Then tried copying it to my windows 10 laptop and it was taking years to do so.

Just now, Teddy2002 said:

So I copied the bliss background from XP to a floppy. Then tried copying it to my windows 10 laptop and it was taking years to do so.

Tried a different floppy after that? Maybe disk has become "sour".

I edit my posts more often than not

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Tried a different floppy after that? Maybe disk has become "sour".

The disks are all brand new old-new stock. Shouldn't be a problem

39 minutes ago, Teddy2002 said:

The disks are all brand new old-new stock. Shouldn't be a problem

Floppy disks can rot, even if they're untouched. I got a 10-pack of 3M 1.2MB 5.25" disks, and 2 were dead despite never being used.

Also, yes, I do still use floppy disks. I bought a 34-pin floppy to USB adapter specifically for using a 3.5" drive. I also got a 5.25" drive for my P3 box.

elephants

49 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Floppy disks can rot, even if they're untouched. I got a 10-pack of 3M 1.2MB 5.25" disks, and 2 were dead despite never being used.

Also, yes, I do still use floppy disks. I bought a 34-pin floppy to USB adapter specifically for using a 3.5" drive. I also got a 5.25" drive for my P3 box.

I tested all the disks and seem to be fine. 

IMG_20210612_100555.jpg

1 bliss wallpaper merely fills up the diskette with a few KB of space remaining. They're HD 1.44 MB disks too. Imagine a 2TB disk.

2 minutes ago, Teddy2002 said:

1 bliss wallpaper merely fills up the diskette with a few KB of space remaining. They're HD 1.44 MB disks too. Imagine a 2TB disk.

ED, or Extra-High Density (I prefer to call them Extreme Density disks) existed, with 2.88MB 3.5" and 2.4MB 5.25" variants, but disks and drives are very rare. The 3.5" drives command prices of $100+ on eBay and I've seen only one 5.25" ED drive that was bundled with a complete system.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

ED, or Extra-High Density (I prefer to call them Extreme Density disks) existed, with 2.88MB 3.5" and 2.4MB 5.25" variants, but disks and drives are very rare. The 3.5" drives command prices of $100+ on eBay and I've seen only one 5.25" ED drive that was bundled with a complete system.

I guess those kinds of disks would be rare. 2.4 MB diskettes never really caught on. Such a shame they'd be great. Less diskettes to install things such as office 97 on floppy disks.

1 minute ago, Murasaki said:

I have a portable FDD for my Mavica FD85. Maybe one day I'll get a case with bays so I can have an internal FDD!

Pretty sure those digital cameras required floppies themselves. You could store a few images. If you didn't like them you'd be able to delete them unlike a film camera. 

All this talk makes me think of VHS tapes and film cameras. Anyone else getting that Vibe?

1 minute ago, Teddy2002 said:

Pretty sure those digital cameras required floppies themselves. You could store a few images. If you didn't like them you'd be able to delete them unlike a film camera. 

Yeah it works with floppy disks, depending on the quality (resolution) setting you can store I think around 20-30 photos max. It does record video too but don't remember how much it can fit.

I have a few lying around but I really have no reason to consider using them.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

52 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Yeah it works with floppy disks, depending on the quality (resolution) setting you can store I think around 20-30 photos max. It does record video too but don't remember how much it can fit.

I recently watched a video about them. Apparently about 20 images in total. But you can delete the crap ones and carry extra diskettes.

48 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I have a few lying around but I really have no reason to consider using them.

Use em for arts and crafts make a square pen pencil pot just make sure they've been wiped first so you don't have sensitive data on em