Replacement WIFI & Bluetooth card for Legion Y540

Yassassin

Hi folks,

Need help with upgrading WIFI & Bluetooth card for Legion Y540, as my current one frequently disconnects while playing with my Xbox series X controller connected wirelessly, while playing with USB-C connected to my controller and laptop, there's no problem.

Fixes Tried:

1). Installed fresh version of Wifi bluetooth driver from Legion Y540 support page, still problem persists.

2). Installed latest update for Wifi bluetooth driver from Intel support site, still problem persists.

3). Installed Xbox controller companion software and updated Xbox's firmware, still problem persists.

4). Finally used a third party USB bluetooth dongle which I had, there were no disconnects at all. When playing with inbuilt bluetooth driver enabled every 5-10 secs there'll be a DC, when using the dongle for two hours there were no DC at all. So I was able to narrow down on the WiFi card became faulty.

My question is I live in Chennai, India. will they replace/upgrade Wifi bluetooth card if I show them the faulty bluetooth in action? or if I pay them will they upgrade Wifi bluetooth card from their latest lineup or should I order from amazon India or something and ask the service center people to replace it. On the side note will they re-apply thermal paste, and where is the Lenovo certified service center in Chennai, India. Thanks in advance guys.

Arsenal of Hardware: Intel i7 6700k Processor | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MB | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16 GB 2400 MHz RAM | nVidia ZOTAC GeFore GTX 750 Ti 2GB (IK, I need to really upgrade this xD) | Phanteks P400S | 1*7500 RPM 2TB HDD WD Black (Have to really add an SSD for boot drive) | Seasonic M12II-850 Watt Bronze PSU | CoolerMaster Hyper 212x CPU Cooler | 24" 1080p BenQ GL2460 Monitor | Circle Gaming Keyboard Adroit X 7CLogitech G402 Gaming Mouse | HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset | Redgear Wireless Gamepad

Bump.

Arsenal of Hardware: Intel i7 6700k Processor | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming MB | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16 GB 2400 MHz RAM | nVidia ZOTAC GeFore GTX 750 Ti 2GB (IK, I need to really upgrade this xD) | Phanteks P400S | 1*7500 RPM 2TB HDD WD Black (Have to really add an SSD for boot drive) | Seasonic M12II-850 Watt Bronze PSU | CoolerMaster Hyper 212x CPU Cooler | 24" 1080p BenQ GL2460 Monitor | Circle Gaming Keyboard Adroit X 7CLogitech G402 Gaming Mouse | HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset | Redgear Wireless Gamepad

9 hours ago, Yassassin said:

Hi folks,

Need help with upgrading WIFI & Bluetooth card for Legion Y540, as my current one frequently disconnects while playing with my Xbox series X controller connected wirelessly, while playing with USB-C connected to my controller and laptop, there's no problem.

Fixes Tried:

1). Installed fresh version of Wifi bluetooth driver from Legion Y540 support page, still problem persists.

2). Installed latest update for Wifi bluetooth driver from Intel support site, still problem persists.

3). Installed Xbox controller companion software and updated Xbox's firmware, still problem persists.

4). Finally used a third party USB bluetooth dongle which I had, there were no disconnects at all. When playing with inbuilt bluetooth driver enabled every 5-10 secs there'll be a DC, when using the dongle for two hours there were no DC at all. So I was able to narrow down on the WiFi card became faulty.

My question is I live in Chennai, India. will they replace/upgrade Wifi bluetooth card if I show them the faulty bluetooth in action? or if I pay them will they upgrade Wifi bluetooth card from their latest lineup or should I order from amazon India or something and ask the service center people to replace it. On the side note will they re-apply thermal paste, and where is the Lenovo certified service center in Chennai, India. Thanks in advance guys.

Well here in Murica. We have a 1 year warranty on most electronics. Meaning we contact the manufacture and they will do troubleshooting steps on the phone. If that doesn't work, they issue an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) and you send the device back, possibly at your expense as many companies might not cover shipping to them. They will then have their techs troubleshoot and fix the problem generally with the same part that came in the machine. Also, I have heard in the past Lenovo likes to use White lists in their BIOS. Effectively if the WiFi card is not on the list the computer WONT boot. Also, if your using a certified Lenovo tech, they wont install something you bought, you will have to use what parts Lenovo provides. 

My advice is to look up the terms of warranty for your country. If the device is under warranty then call them up and have them go thru the motions. If your device is not under warranty, then your kinda on your own. I can tell you from personal experience installing a new WIFi adapter in an HP computer before, its not that hard. The key however is checking to see if your machine has a white list in the BIOS. Lenovo might have a list of cards that will work on their website, which might help you in that regard. 

Also Bluetooth operates on 2.4 Ghz, are you having issues connecting to 5Ghz WiFi? Or does your router not support 5 Ghz WiFi. Because you should be connected to 5 Ghz Period. 2.4 Ghz in many cases is too crammed with interference that its a hot mess. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

27 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Well here in Murica. We have a 1 year warranty on most electronics. Meaning we contact the manufacture and they will do troubleshooting steps on the phone. If that doesn't work, they issue an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) and you send the device back, possibly at your expense as many companies might not cover shipping to them. They will then have their techs troubleshoot and fix the problem generally with the same part that came in the machine. Also, I have heard in the past Lenovo likes to use White lists in their BIOS. Effectively if the WiFi card is not on the list the computer WONT boot. Also, if your using a certified Lenovo tech, they wont install something you bought, you will have to use what parts Lenovo provides. 

My advice is to look up the terms of warranty for your country. If the device is under warranty then call them up and have them go thru the motions. If your device is not under warranty, then your kinda on your own. I can tell you from personal experience installing a new WIFi adapter in an HP computer before, its not that hard. The key however is checking to see if your machine has a white list in the BIOS. Lenovo might have a list of cards that will work on their website, which might help you in that regard. 

Also Bluetooth operates on 2.4 Ghz, are you having issues connecting to 5Ghz WiFi? Or does your router not support 5 Ghz WiFi. Because you should be connected to 5 Ghz Period. 2.4 Ghz in many cases is too crammed with interference that its a hot mess. 

Thanks for the heads-up mate, much appreciated. Regarding the connectivity, even though I've a laptop, I always hook-up ethernet (CAT 6 to be specific). When I'm using laptop away from my setup, I always connect it to my 5Ghz connection. I don't have any disconnect issues when I disable the inbuilt bluetooth device and plug in third party bluetooth USB dongle. And regarding device cram, I live alone and my mobile is always on the 4G network, only my laptop is hooked to the WiFi when I'm away from my desk, post my Xbox controller, there's no other bluetooth device which I actively use.