rx 5700 xt temperature issues after replacing thermal pads

MrBigD1409
Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

Yeah, that thermal compound between the die and cold plate should not look like that when you take it off. It should look like you didn't put enough on there because all the extra is pushed out the sides and you can almost see bare die and bare cold plate. What you have is 100% a case of low mounting pressure, as you've found out likely due to the thermal pads being too thick. When you can afford it, I suggest you get some .5mm pads or hit up Gigabyte to get the exact pad part number you need so you can either get those pads or work backward from that number to determine the exact thickness needed.

hi guys, so i replaced my thermal pads on my gigabyte rx 5700 xt cause the card was running really hot and after i replaced them i did some tests with unigine heaven benchmark at extreme settings an the gpu temperature is fine on the 70s, memory temps on the 70s aswell (before it was going +90) but the issue now is the junction temperature goes 110c and thermal throttle when all the rest temps are fine, i tried to reopen it replace the thermal paste aswell, made sure that everything was making proper contact but nothing the junction temperature always goes 110+ when the rest is at 70.
PS When i start the benchmark and the the junction temperature reaches 110 the monitor gets whiteish, please help me

i bought 2mm thickness for the thermal pads since a lot of sites suggested this sizes

Did you fully spread the thermal paste?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Did you fully spread the thermal paste?

yes sir, all the other temps are fine only the junction temperature goes over 110 the moment i start the benchmark, could it be that the thermal pads are too thick and its not making proper contact on the chip

the funny part is that i reopened the card 5 times at least to check if everything makes proper contact and to me everything was looking normal but could be that the center of the gpu is not making full contact cause of the thickness of the pads or could be something else i dont know im so upset xD

Is this a reference cooler that have some mounting pressure issue?

8 minutes ago, MrBigD1409 said:

could be that the center of the gpu is not making full contact cause of the thickness of the pads or could be something else i dont know im so upset xD

could be that as well. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, xAcid9 said:

Is this a reference cooler that have some mounting pressure issue?

could be that as well. 

mine is the gigabyte version with 3 fans

1 thing im noticing now is that the gpu works fine when im just surfing on the web watching stuff the temps are below 50 degrees does that explain  anything on why the junction hits 110+ when benchmarking it

From GamerNexus video it looks like the thermal pads on memory is less thick than the one on VRMs.  

I'm not sure myself but maybe you can try give it more pressure?

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

From GamerNexus video it looks like the thermal pads on memory is less thick than the one on VRMs.  

I'm not sure myself but maybe you can try give it more pressure?

i tried pressuring it many times tied the screws at maximum aswell no difference the junction temp goes immediately at 110 the moment i hit start bencmark or stress test on the amd software

yes and i think the vrams pads were 0.5mm and going to 2mm i guess was too much, i dont know if to go for 1mm or 1.5mm now

3 minutes ago, MrBigD1409 said:

yes and i think the vrams pads were 0.5mm and going to 2mm i guess was too much, i dont know if to go for 1mm or 1.5mm now

Hmm.. I seldom see 0.5mm on GPU, usually 1.5mm -+ 0.5mm 

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Hmm.. I seldom see 0.5mm on GPU, usually 1.5mm -+ 0.5mm 

so should i try 1.5mm or go on the safe side 1mm

1 hour ago, MrBigD1409 said:

so should i try 1.5mm or go on the safe side 1mm

Get both. =x

22 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Get both. =x

No money bro xD i dont work yet sadly 

Guys i still have the same problem even after changing thermal pads Vram 1mm and the rest 1.5mm if can help heres the picture 

IMG_20210613_144701.jpg

Looks like the heat-sink is not making proper contact with the die.

I don't know which thermal pads are right and you already have 1mm on there maybe its mounting pressure?

Just did a quick google search and got a teardown from GamersNexus maybe that might help you.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

2 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

Looks like the heat-sink is not making proper contact with the die.

I don't know which thermal pads are right and you already have 1mm on there maybe its mounting pressure?

Just did a quick google search and got a teardown from GamersNexus maybe that might help you.

Ive mounted the arctic thermal pads 1mm everywhere on the board but no matter what i try the junction temps always at 110 i have no idea what to do anymore im even prewsinb with force the board but nothing 

Ok its kinda working Now its not thermal throttling anymore its gets close to 98 junction and 75 gpu temp when gaming i just cutted in half the vram pads made them 0.5 i guess my gpu model cant handle 1mm at all cause it doesnt make Contact 

Yeah, that thermal compound between the die and cold plate should not look like that when you take it off. It should look like you didn't put enough on there because all the extra is pushed out the sides and you can almost see bare die and bare cold plate. What you have is 100% a case of low mounting pressure, as you've found out likely due to the thermal pads being too thick. When you can afford it, I suggest you get some .5mm pads or hit up Gigabyte to get the exact pad part number you need so you can either get those pads or work backward from that number to determine the exact thickness needed.

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yea im definetely gonna do that im gonna try to send an email to gigabyte and when i have money im definetely going for 0.5mm grizzly this time sincr i Heard its better, im pretty sure even Now i could try to made the 1mm that i have a bit smaller for better pressure but im really tired for the moment 2 days of assesmbling and disassembling the card makes you go insane xD. 

Thanks to everyone for the help i could have not fixed it without you guys 

10 minutes ago, MrBigD1409 said:

Yea im definetely gonna do that im gonna try to send an email to gigabyte and when i have money im definetely going for 0.5mm grizzly this time sincr i Heard its better, im pretty sure even Now i could try to made the 1mm that i have a bit smaller for better pressure but im really tired for the moment 2 days of assesmbling and disassembling the card makes you go insane xD. 

Thanks to everyone for the help i could have not fixed it without you guys 

Also bear in mind that Grizzly pads have different compression properties than 3M or Fujipoly. That can affect cooler mounting as well, softer pads will squish a lot more so maybe they used 1MM pads but they compress very easily, where as the 1mm pads you got do not and that's the difference! You'll have to find spec sheets for what you used, what came on it, and what you want to use and judge as best you can if you need to go down a step in thickness to account for a stiffer pad or not.

A bit more spendy as well as a lot more finicky and dangerous, you can use thin copper shims with thermal putty or thicker thermal paste on either side, but you have to be pretty accurate with the shim thickness, you'll get a lot higher thermal conductivity but you can risk damage because copper doesn't squish or poor thermals because copper doesn't squish. Also copper isn't cheap. I bought 2 assortments of shims, thermal putty, and have a $70 hole in my pocket for it. I plan to experiment with a spare GPU once mining dies down to see just how hard the memory can go on it.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Also bear in mind that Grizzly pads have different compression properties than 3M or Fujipoly. That can affect cooler mounting as well, softer pads will squish a lot more so maybe they used 1MM pads but they compress very easily, where as the 1mm pads you got do not and that's the difference! You'll have to find spec sheets for what you used, what came on it, and what you want to use and judge as best you can if you need to go down a step in thickness to account for a stiffer pad or not.

A bit more spendy as well as a lot more finicky and dangerous, you can use thin copper shims with thermal putty or thicker thermal paste on either side, but you have to be pretty accurate with the shim thickness, you'll get a lot higher thermal conductivity but you can risk damage because copper doesn't squish or poor thermals because copper doesn't squish. Also copper isn't cheap. I bought 2 assortments of shims, thermal putty, and have a $70 hole in my pocket for it. I plan to experiment with a spare GPU once mining dies down to see just how hard the memory can go on it.

Thanks for the info but im pretty sure that i will kill my gpu if i try this xD

11 minutes ago, MrBigD1409 said:

Thanks for the info but im pretty sure that i will kill my gpu if i try this xD

Haha yeah, it's a more advanced solution. I've got a lot of years of fabri-cobbling things like this, it definitely takes experience to have a feel for things that are off the books. Maybe when this is a spare GPU someday you can screw around with copper shims.

• 2 months later...

I replaced all my pads on a MSI Radeon Rx 5700 XT.  
Before pads:  Core temp was 74c and memory was at 100c fans running at 100%

2mm extreme odyssey thermal pads on all the memory chips.
PWMs had a head sink with a 1mm pad that was already cracking. replaced that with 1mm extreme odyssey thermal pads.
then place a 2mm thin strip on top of the heat sink so it would touch the cooling plate that the fans were using.

After pads: core temp is 55 to 58c and the memory is at 70-72c fans running at ~70%

I used MX-4 Thermal compound for the replace thermal paste.

Memory_PWM_Chip_Locations.jfif