rx 5700 xt temperature issues after replacing thermal pads

MrBigD1409
Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

Yeah, that thermal compound between the die and cold plate should not look like that when you take it off. It should look like you didn't put enough on there because all the extra is pushed out the sides and you can almost see bare die and bare cold plate. What you have is 100% a case of low mounting pressure, as you've found out likely due to the thermal pads being too thick. When you can afford it, I suggest you get some .5mm pads or hit up Gigabyte to get the exact pad part number you need so you can either get those pads or work backward from that number to determine the exact thickness needed.

On 9/13/2021 at 10:28 PM, JustDana said:

I replaced all my pads on a MSI Radeon Rx 5700 XT.  
Before pads:  Core temp was 74c and memory was at 100c fans running at 100%

2mm extreme odyssey thermal pads on all the memory chips.
PWMs had a head sink with a 1mm pad that was already cracking. replaced that with 1mm extreme odyssey thermal pads.
then place a 2mm thin strip on top of the heat sink so it would touch the cooling plate that the fans were using.

After pads: core temp is 55 to 58c and the memory is at 70-72c fans running at ~70%

I used MX-4 Thermal compound for the replace thermal paste.

Memory_PWM_Chip_Locations.jfif 111.05 kB · 2 downloads

Might be a dump question, but do you used thermal paste also for thermal pads for both sides or just GPU core die? I think I have seen some videos on YT, where they also put thermal paste to the thermal pads.

• 8 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 3:28 AM, JustDana said:

I replaced all my pads on a MSI Radeon Rx 5700 XT.  
Before pads:  Core temp was 74c and memory was at 100c fans running at 100%

2mm extreme odyssey thermal pads on all the memory chips.
PWMs had a head sink with a 1mm pad that was already cracking. replaced that with 1mm extreme odyssey thermal pads.
then place a 2mm thin strip on top of the heat sink so it would touch the cooling plate that the fans were using.

After pads: core temp is 55 to 58c and the memory is at 70-72c fans running at ~70%

I used MX-4 Thermal compound for the replace thermal paste.

Memory_PWM_Chip_Locations.jfif 111.05 kB · 10 downloads

Your “After” test was only 70% usage. To make it more reliable, it should have been 100%