single channel "fast"(3600) ram or dual channel "slow"(2666) ram

Giwd

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

What CPU? Ryzen or Intel? And what motherboard?

Dual channel is always better, but is even more beneficial with Ryzen.

Here's a screenshot of my Task Manager:

image.png.a9010548998f51b2ef406f8ff18432d3.png

So I have 8 channel of slower ram. (Consumer motherboards won't have 12 slots or 8 channels, but fill as many channels as possible is my recommendation.)

Many motherboards have 4 slots, but only run in what's called 'dual channel', which means that even if you fill all 4 slots it'll have the capacity of 4 sticks, but the memory bandwidth of 2 sticks. Your board is probably dual channel, whether it is 2 or 4 slots. If it's 4 slots, make sure you populate the correct ones with the RAM sticks for channel 1. (This can be found in your board's manual)

In short, dual channel 'slow'.

3 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

What CPU? Ryzen or Intel?

Dual channel is always better, but is even more beneficial with Ryzen.

Here's a screenshot of my Task Manager:

image.png.a9010548998f51b2ef406f8ff18432d3.png

So I have 8 channel of slower ram. (Consumer motherboards won't have 12 slots or 8 channels, but fill as many channels as possible is my recommendation.)

In short, dual channel 'slow'.

Also depends on what you're wanting to do as well. Ryzen likes that high speed RAM. I'm running dual channel 32GB G.Skill dimms at 3600MHz with CL 16.

GAMING RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5800X3D

MOBO: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 PLUS (Wi-Fi)

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: PowerColor Fighter RX 6700 XT

STORAGE: 500GB Crucial MX500 M.2 (Boot Drive) / 500GB Crucial SATA / 1TB WD HDD

CASE: Dimas Tech EasyBench V3.0

VR RIG:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x

MOBO: MSI B550 Gaming GEN3

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 3600MHz

GPU: Zotac AMP! 2080 Super

STORAGE: 250GB ADATA SSD / 500GB WD Blue SSD / 1TB WD Blue HD

@Giwdyou would need to do have DDR4 5333 in single channel to match the bandwidth of 2666 in dual channel. Latency is another matter but overall dual channel wins in performance.

4 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

So I have 8 channel of slower ram.

Not really 8 channel, also given you have 12 slots is that a triple channel board? Maybe one more dimm will benefit you. Single channel < dual channel < triple channel.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

@Giwdyou would need to do have DDR4 5333 in single channel to match the bandwidth of 2666 in dual channel. Latency is another matter but overall dual channel wins in performance.

Not really 8 channel, also given you have 12 slots is that a triple channel board? Maybe one more dimm will benefit you. Single channel < dual channel < triple channel.

Well my board is complicated. It's a dual socket machine, but one of the CPUs and 4 of the DIMMs are on a daughterboard, not the same motherboard. Each board has 4 channels of memory, but the main motherboard has 8 DIMM slots, and the daughterboard has 4. I set it so that by default, CPU 0 has access to the 16 gb on its motherboard and cpu 1 has access to the 16 on its board, but if more memory is needed by either CPU, they can steal a bit of memory from the other if needed (but latency is much higher).

28 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Well my board is complicated. It's a dual socket machine, but one of the CPUs and 4 of the DIMMs are on a daughterboard, not the same motherboard. Each board has 4 channels of memory, but the main motherboard has 8 DIMM slots, and the daughterboard has 4. I set it so that by default, CPU 0 has access to the 16 gb on its motherboard and cpu 1 has access to the 16 on its board, but if more memory is needed by either CPU, they can steal a bit of memory from the other if needed (but latency is much higher).

That is quite an odd Setup.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

That is quite an odd Setup.

Yep it’s an old HP workstation/server.

that bit of plastic below the cpu cooler is the shroud for the daughterboard, you can see a bit of its PCB sticking out. It goes in like a giant expansion card pretty much

image.thumb.jpg.26f548e68dd72a538d5addcb99f5c311.jpg

29 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yep it’s an old HP workstation/server.

that bit of plastic below the cpu cooler is the shroud for the daughterboard, you can see a bit of its PCB sticking out. It goes in like a giant expansion card pretty much

image.thumb.jpg.26f548e68dd72a538d5addcb99f5c311.jpg

BTX?

7 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Nah, it's proprietary but the motherboard layout looks a lot like ATX

Isn't there a larger Workstation ATX? I forgotten what it is called. Multiple Sockets, 8 or more DIMM Slots, NUMA but not always.And of course uses a Special PSU for Workstations/Servers.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Isn't there a larger Workstation ATX? I forgotten what it is called. Multiple Sockets, 8 or more DIMM Slots, NUMA but not always.And of course uses a Special PSU for Workstations/Servers.

Not sure, this is a standard ATX size case, not sure about the board. The PSU is proprietary too, but is ATX sized.