Bad internet connection while playing

Hello! recently i've been having connection issues while playing online games only and ill get high ping spikes and i dont know why I did a speed test of before playing and everything is fine but while im playing it just drops connection I've updated my drivers, contacted my ISP said there were no problems and got a modem from them to see if it would fix it but it didnt, Windows is up to date, modem is up to date I dont know what else to do I'm also using an Ethernet connection  First picture is before I play anything Second picture is while I play any online game 

good connection.PNG

bad connection.PNG

20 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

Hello! recently i've been having connection issues while playing online games only and ill get high ping spikes and i dont know why I did a speed test of before playing and everything is fine but while im playing it just drops connection I've updated my drivers, contacted my ISP said there were no problems and got a modem from them to see if it would fix it but it didnt, Windows is up to date, modem is up to date I dont know what else to do I'm also using an Ethernet connection  First picture is before I play anything Second picture is while I play any online game 

good connection.PNG

bad connection.PNG

Is Steam / Epic / Battlenet running in the background? Those could be running some huge updates in the background and thus crippling your DL bandwidth and potentially messing up your latency.

When you notice the slowdown, you could open up Task Manager and sort the process list by Network usage.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

5 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Is Steam / Epic / Battlenet running in the background? Those could be running some huge updates in the background and thus crippling your DL bandwidth.

When you notice the slowdown, you could open up Task Manager and sort the process list by Network usage.

yeah none of those are running in the background the only things running in the background are Discord and Spotify

Have you ran ping / trace route tests? This can help determine the source of the problem.

You can ping Google by opening CMD > ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Press Ctrl + Pausebreak together for a summary. 

You can also only ping the modem by opening CMD > ping (enter IPV4 address) -t

Press Ctrl + Pausebreak together for a summary

To find IPV4 address, open CMD > ipconfig /all > Ethernet adapter Ethernet > look for IPV4 Address

Traceroute:

CMD > tracert 8.8.8.8

This will measure the latency of all the points in travel from your modem to Google

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What are the system specifications of your computer? Specifically the CPU and Motherboard.

Also, check out PingPlotter. It's a nice tool for tracking latency and isolating the scope of where the problem along the path (trace route) might be occurring. 

https://www.pingplotter.com/

17 minutes ago, StDragon said:

What are the system specifications of your computer? Specifically the CPU and Motherboard.

Also, check out PingPlotter. It's a nice tool for tracking latency and isolating the scope of where the problem along the path (trace route) might be occurring. 

https://www.pingplotter.com/

I have a Ryzen 7 2700 and a B350M Bazooka motherboard 

29 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

Have you ran ping / trace route tests? This can help determine the source of the problem.

You can ping Google by opening CMD > ping 8.8.8.8 -t

Press Ctrl + Pausebreak together for a summary. 

You can also only ping the modem by opening CMD > ping (enter IPV4 address) -t

Press Ctrl + Pausebreak together for a summary

To find IPV4 address, open CMD > ipconfig /all > Ethernet adapter Ethernet > look for IPV4 Address

Traceroute:

CMD > tracert 8.8.8.8

This will measure the latency of all the points in travel from your modem to Google

these are the results i got from google, my modem and Traceroute

google.PNG

modem ping.PNG

Traceroute.PNG

Is this a new issue for you? Or has the connection always been like this that you can remember?

If new, when about did it start?

IMHO, if you install the "Gaming LAN Manager" or "MSI Gaming App", uninstall them. Those game optimizers for the NIC are only good if you're competing with bandwidth from within the same computer with other applications (think QoS prioritization). Sounds good in theory, but in reality doesn't yield much performance and only serves to cause other problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they cap in ingress and egress out the LAN for other traffic thus showing poor download speeds when benchmarking.

3 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Is this a new issue for you? Or has the connection always been like this that you can remember?

If new, when about did it start?

IMHO, if you install the "Gaming LAN Manager" or "MSI Gaming App", uninstall them. Those game optimizers for the NIC are only good if you're competing with bandwidth from within the same computer with other applications (think QoS prioritization). Sounds good in theory, but in reality doesn't yield much performance and only serves to cause other problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they cap in ingress and egress out the LAN for other traffic thus showing poor download speeds when benchmarking.

these issues started a few days ago this never happened before and i dont have neither of those two prgrams installed  

3 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

these issues started a few days ago this never happened before and i dont have neither of those two prgrams installed  

Seems you have Spectrum cable (aka formerly Time Warner; rr.com was short for Road Runner).

Depending on your cable modem, you might be able to log into the admin interface and pull up coax signal stats. Basically you want to check the following variables for an obvious signs of sub-optimal conditions.

• Downstream Pwr (dBmv) should be no less than -15 and no more than +15, with close to 0 being perfect.
  • Downstream SNR shouldn't be less than 28 dB. Ideally should be 32 or higher.
  • Upstream Pwr (dBmV) should be between 35 and 55.
  • Corrected and Uncorrected blocks - Corrected means errors were found but it was able to correct them. Uncorrected means the signal was so degraded that actual packets were dropped (hence, packet loss). A high number of corrected blocks would translate into higher than normal ping times however.

If you have any values outside these ranges, that will translate into problematic connectivity. If the levels go too far out of range, then you can outright lose internet connectivity throughout the day.

The link below applies specifically to Motorola modems; but it does cover some universal basics about cable modem connectivity in general. It's worth a read.

https://www.motorolacable.com/whitepapers/cable-connection

1 hour ago, kitsuneshrine said:

these are the results i got from google, my modem and Traceroute

google.PNG

modem ping.PNG

Traceroute.PNG

The ping test to both your modem and Google look ok, as well as trace route to Google except for the * in line 6 which means did you didn't receive a response from the first RTT (each numbered column is RTT meaning round trip time (from your computer to destination, then back to your computer - done 3 times)). This could indicate packet loss.

I would run the ping test in the background while playing games so that you can monitor what is happening at the exact time you experience any anomalies.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

8 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Seems you have Spectrum cable (aka formerly Time Warner; rr.com was short for Road Runner).

Depending on your cable modem, you might be able to log into the admin interface and pull up coax signal stats. Basically you want to check the following variables for an obvious signs of sub-optimal conditions.

• Downstream Pwr (dBmv) should be no less than -15 and no more than +15, with close to 0 being perfect.
  • Downstream SNR shouldn't be less than 28 dB. Ideally should be 32 or higher.
  • Upstream Pwr (dBmV) should be between 35 and 55.
  • Corrected and Uncorrected blocks - Corrected means errors were found but it was able to correct them. Uncorrected means the signal was so degraded that actual packets were dropped (hence, packet loss). A high number of corrected blocks would translate into higher than normal ping times however.

If you have any values outside these ranges, that will translate into problematic connectivity. If the levels go too far out of range, then you can outright lose internet connectivity throughout the day.

The link below applies specifically to Motorola modems; but it does cover some universal basics about cable modem connectivity in general. It's worth a read.

https://www.motorolacable.com/whitepapers/cable-connection

well right now im using the modem they gave me today since i was told my previous modem/router couldnt handle the internet speed i have which is 200mbps it use to be 100mbps but i guess i got an upgrade out of nowhere and my previous modem/router could only handle 100mbps at first i thought it was bottlenecking my internet

6 minutes ago, kitsuneshrine said:

well right now im using the modem they gave me today since i was told my previous modem/router couldnt handle the internet speed i have which is 200mbps it use to be 100mbps but i guess i got an upgrade out of nowhere and my previous modem/router could only handle 100mbps at first i thought it was bottlenecking my internet

Your ISP is referring to DOCSIS standards. The newer standards can bond more channels together for gigabit speed capabilities. I think the current norm is still DOCSIS 3.1.

I'm only paying for 100mbit down, but was previously getting 60 all the sudden. This was a year or so ago when this happened. At the time I leased the modem from Comcast. I suspected they upgraded the network and thus rendered my old 8 year old modem somewhat obsolete. When I replaced it with an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200, I instantly got 120 down and still do to this day.

4 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Your ISP is referring to DOCSIS standards. The newer standards can bond more channels together for gigabit speed capabilities. I think the current norm is still DOCSIS 3.1.

I'm only paying for 100mbit down, but was previously getting 60 all the sudden. This was a year or so ago when this happened. At the time I leased the modem from Comcast. I suspected they upgraded the network and thus rendered my old 8 year old modem somewhat obsolete. When I replaced it with an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200, I instantly got 120 down and still do to this day.

I see and i just checked my previous netgear modem was DOCSIS 3.0 not sure if that would affect anything