GTX 690 constantly turboing

WhitetailAni

I own a GTX 690. It came without a fan, which saved me $130. The replacement fan arrived today, and after installing it I noticed something odd: My card won't stop turboing.

Usually, when I'm not doing anything, it sits at 324 MHz on both core and memory. Currently, it's at 914 MHz on core and 3004 MHz on memory, which is what it runs at when I'm running a game on it. My first instinct was to check if I had left Cemu  (Wii U emulator, quite GPU-intensive with the right game) open in the background, but nope. The only thing using my GPU was Chrome. I had left a Twitch stream in the background. So I closed it.

And nothing. Still at max clocks. So I went to look at MSI Afterburner's GPU usage readout. There, it's listed at 0% for all of them.

VRAM usage is ~400MB for both GPUs, which seems a bit high, as my GTX 650 Ti BOOST running F@H at Medium Folding Power is using ~200MB.

I went to open GPU-Z to see what it reports, and saw that the clocks dipped to 637 MHz on core and 2687 MHz on memory for a split second, but this wasn't repeatable.

SLI is enabled, and I did do some fiddling with game profiles, but I did NOT mess with the global profile, and just to be sure I reset it to factory defaults.

All I did was force AFR 1 for Dolphin and Cemu, and add a profile for Citra that did the same thing.

Neither of the cards are doing ANYTHING. No F@H, no BOINC, no games, etc. Usage is listed at 0% for everything (except 3D for 0.01% for running Chrome).

If you would like more information please tell me.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

elephants

is it a problem? The cards can be clocked high but if they aren't in use then it really doesn't matter too much. The power usage being clocked higher vs them actually being in use is very different.

I'm not sure, but maybe the fan is just really good?

I may still have a laptop, but I'd say I know a good amount about PC stuff.

chrome uses GPU if HW acceleration is enabled

mine uses quite a bit, especially if browsing LTT forum

as long as it's not overheating underload, shouldnt worry about it

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

@emosun @pho3nix_

They're currently running at 69 and 65C. I'd like to keep this under 50C when I'm not using the card. I know it's possible as when I ran the card without a dedicated fan (and had a small desk fan pointed at the side) at base clocks (324 MHz for core and memory) temps were ~40C. I'm confused as to why now with a fan it's running much faster and hotter than it needs to be.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

chrome uses GPU if HW acceleration is enabled

mine uses quite a bit, especially if browsing LTT forum

Tested hardware acceleration, that wasn't it. Made sure nothing was in the background either.

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

as long as it's not overheating underload, shouldnt worry about it

That's true. Guess this is a good time as any to test F@H PPD. I'm deep into Victory Road on Pokemon Y anyway.

EDIT:
I get 380K PPD on each core at full power...

That puts me at almost 900K PPD. Once I get my Phenom machine back online and set its GPU back to Folding I might break the 1M PPD barrier.

elephants

8 minutes ago, yaboistar said:

what pstate is the card running in if you call up nvsmi

No idea. Here's what it reports:

Spoiler

image.png.1a179b144232349e94cf66647d7d3bf9.png

elephants

Nvidia inspector and run multi display mode and have it force idle. And exclude programs that need it 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

• 1 month later...

Forgot to update this, but it was a driver issue. NVidia released 466.79 and that fixed it.
Thanks for everyone's help though!

elephants