Looking for slim case similar to Fractal Node 202

Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,

I use this case with an L12S. It fits ATX PSU, but it'd be tight. It has front I/O cables that are obnoxiously long. I have thermal issues with it, but that could be down to having a 5800x and 6800 xt in it. In my signature is a short little build log with some internal case pictures that would give you a feel for it.

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Motherboards-Integrated-RVZ03B/dp/B073HDFQKJ

I'm looking for a slim case into which I can move my build. I'm trying to transport my computer and Dell S2719DGF in one suitcase with plenty of padding. Most ITX cases don't work for me as they're too thick to fit into a suitcase along with my monitor. I'm looking for a case similar to the Fractal Node 202, but just a few millimeters thicker to fit the NH-L9x65. The cooling performance of the NH-L9i doesn't seem good enough, and reviews warn of poor clearances and mounting hardware for the Silverstone Tek AR06.

I'd like to keep my 10600K, Windforce 1660 Ti, and 3.5" HDD. Bonus if it fits an ATX PSU. I'm looking for a maximum total case thickness of 5".

I don't want to spend more than $160 if it does fit an ATX PSU, but if there is nothing out there, recommendations would be welcome regardless.

using pcpartpicker.com there are 29 mATX slim cases because it doesnt have ITX slim. 2 of these cases are still for sale in different places.

In Win CE685.FH300TB3 MicroATX Slim Case w/300 W Power Supply (CE685.FH300TB3) - PCPartPicker

Rosewill R379-M MicroATX Slim Case w/300 W Power Supply (R379-M) - PCPartPicker

6 minutes ago, tdkid said:

using pcpartpicker.com there are 29 mATX slim cases because it doesnt have ITX slim. 2 of these cases are still for sale in different places.

In Win CE685.FH300TB3 MicroATX Slim Case w/300 W Power Supply (CE685.FH300TB3) - PCPartPicker

Rosewill R379-M MicroATX Slim Case w/300 W Power Supply (R379-M) - PCPartPicker

I didn't see those when I first searched. I think I might have restricted the motherboard to ITX only. Unfortunately, the PSU form factors permitted by each case doesn't allow me to use a PSU sufficient (according to PC Part Picker) for the parts I have, let alone allowing for future (far future, to be fair, but still) GPU upgrades, even assuming they can be replaced.

1 minute ago, Konstantin Tsiolkovsky said:

I didn't see those when I first searched. I think I might have restricted the motherboard to ITX only. Unfortunately, the PSU form factors permitted by each case doesn't allow me to use a PSU sufficient (according to PC Part Picker) for the parts I have, let alone allowing for future (far future, to be fair, but still) GPU upgrades, even assuming they can be replaced.

you wouldnt be able to use an ATX PSU but you possible could use an SFX PSU, smaller, with the same power if i am correct. as for upgrades and replacements over the years. these cases can support a mATX board which is slightly bigger than the ITX.

what i showed you was mATX cases that are slim and would more than likely fit into a suitcase with no issues depending on the suitcase of course. i did go back and found that if you pick HTPC you get 135 cases with 26 still being for sale. some of them listed are the fractasl design node 202.

Choose A Case - PCPartPicker

I use this case with an L12S. It fits ATX PSU, but it'd be tight. It has front I/O cables that are obnoxiously long. I have thermal issues with it, but that could be down to having a 5800x and 6800 xt in it. In my signature is a short little build log with some internal case pictures that would give you a feel for it.

https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Motherboards-Integrated-RVZ03B/dp/B073HDFQKJ

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

11 hours ago, tdkid said:

you wouldnt be able to use an ATX PSU but you possible could use an SFX PSU, smaller, with the same power if i am correct. as for upgrades and replacements over the years. these cases can support a mATX board which is slightly bigger than the ITX.

what i showed you was mATX cases that are slim and would more than likely fit into a suitcase with no issues depending on the suitcase of course. i did go back and found that if you pick HTPC you get 135 cases with 26 still being for sale. some of them listed are the fractasl design node 202.

Choose A Case - PCPartPicker

As far as I can tell, even SFX won't work for the TFX cases, and I don't like most of the HTPC cases as they have extra stuff I don't need. Thank you for taking the time to suggest, though.

11 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

I've decided to go with the RVZ01 as it's cheaper and can fit a hard drive. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, I'll go to the RVZ03. Thank you for your suggestion.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 3:07 PM, IkeaGnome said:

I got the RVZ01-E, and it ended up not fitting a hard drive, and the other variants probably won't fit one with an ATX PSU. I got an external USB enclosure, but as far as I'm aware, my hard drive won't saturate SATA III anyway, so I don't see any problems.  Otherwise, there are no problems, thermal or otherwise.