How to get cheap home phone service.

LOST TALE

Is there a way to become your own phone service provider with an internet connection? Or get a cheaper phone service that depends on an existing internet connection?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Look into MagicJack or Ooma. 

I paid $120 for 5 years ($2/month) of MagicJack to keep my home number hanging around. All I did was pull the source line from the splitter (previously Verizon) and plugged in the new line from the MagicJack adapter and now it feeds the rest of the house just like regular landline service.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, Roswell said:

Look into MagicJack or Oomla. 

I paid $120 for 5 years of MagicJack to keep my home number hanging around. All I did was pull the source line from the splitter (previously Verizon) and plugged in the new line from the MagicJack adapter and now it feeds the rest of the house just like regular landline service.

So you need an existing landline phone service?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

2 minutes ago, LOST TALE said:

So you need an existing landline phone service?

No, you just need an internet connection. You can set up the wiring however you want. If you just want to plug in a phone straight into the adapter, that's fine.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

3 minutes ago, Roswell said:

No, you just need an internet connection. You can set up the wiring however you want. If you just want to plug in a phone straight into the adapter, that's fine.

Interesting. Are you able to receive calls on your cellphone form that number if your phone has internet access? 

10 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Look into MagicJack or Ooma. 

I paid $120 for 5 years ($2/month) of MagicJack to keep my home number hanging around. All I did was pull the source line from the splitter (previously Verizon) and plugged in the new line from the MagicJack adapter and now it feeds the rest of the house just like regular landline service.

So this is already better than what I have. I'd give up cell service. Can you clarify this? I don't know what source line and splitter is. What do I plug into the MJ adapter? Rj45 or ethernet?

Ethernet cable from your modem/router to the MJ, and plug your phone into MJ to make and receive calls. There is a MJ app for your cellphone that uses wifi connection. Works very good, I've had MJack for about 6 years. And the call quality is excellent, Free calls US and Canada.

Is there an option where I can buy similar hardware that is open to work with any provider?