98se questions

so i have an e8600 775 cpu 2core 2 threads 3.33mh cpu. now i no 98se is single core so it will use 1  core and 1 thread but dose it use half the mhz?

would it have been better to use a p4 cpu? single core  2 threads 3.6-3.8? i ordered a 4 P4 651 3.4GHz cpu off ebay as the price was right.

my other question is the e8600 has 6mb cash and the P4 651 only has 2mb cash. witch is better for gaming? or dose the 98se not even use the 6mb of cash?

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

5 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

so i have an e8600 775 cpu 2core 2 threads 3.33mh cpu. now i no 98se is single core so it will use 1  core and 1 thread but dose it use half the mhz?

No. Intel and AMD rated its base clock speed for each CPU cores. And besides, the IPC improvement from P4 to Core 2 Duo would be pretty substantial anyway to make it a keeper.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

98 probably won't even run on that, depending on what you have as RAM or GPU. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

98 probably won't even run on that, depending on what you have as RAM or GPU. 

runs fine i have it working.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

No. Intel and AMD rated its base clock speed for each CPU cores. And besides, the IPC improvement from P4 to Core 2 Duo would be pretty substantial anyway to make it a keeper.

so the e8600 should run at 3.33mhz? in cpuz it dose not show up.

13 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

Which cpu-z version is it?

Try this version instead...

cpu-z_1.03-win9x.zip

33 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

I'm not really sure it actually matters. You're so far above the requirements to run the OS already, adding another few hundred megahertz is not going to make much difference.

You should be careful about running SSDs in such an old OS though, 98 obviously is not SSD aware which means no idle garbage collection but even worse than that, if 98 decides to run a scandisk (which it does alot), or even worse a defrag, on the SSD it will chew through read/write cycles.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The real fun is era hardware, running 98SE on what’s effectively windows vista era hardware is a bit excessive.

I don’t think you’ll see any issues with the core2duo, besides that yes it will run a single core and thread, which is still overkill for 98SE and anything that would run on it.

As was just mentioned, don’t use an SSD, and if you are gonna use an SSD use an ide to msata adapter or a dedicated ide SSD because they tend to have controllers on board to manage trim features and such so the OS doesn’t wear down the ssd as much.

Spoiler

C87E1BE3-DB48-4A70-83E8-9F00A07C0A24.thumb.jpeg.b04d74ee1008d12a114c821a05bcb60c.jpeg

Yeah it will run at 3.33 ghz ... Would be best to disable one core if you can from bios, and you could probably change FSB to 1066 mhz or 800 Mhz or even 667 Mhz if you can't play with the multiplier.  Right now that cpu is set at 1333 Mhz x 2.5  so you have a 2.5 multiplier, but if you could change the FSB to 800 Mhz then your cpu will run at 2 Ghz

You'd probably want 512 MB of memory... technically Windows 98 SE can do 1 GB, but you need to edit ini files

See MSKB Q304943

To limit access to 1 GB of RAM on Win98:

To work around this issue, add the following line to the [386enh] section of the System.ini file:

MaxPhysPage=40000
This limits the amount of physical RAM that Windows can access to 1 GB. To add this line, use the following steps:
Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to open the System.ini file in the Windows folder.

Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file:

MaxPhysPage=40000
Save the file, and then restart your computer.

‘98second edition is really old.  Finding modern software that will run on it may be impossible.  You’ll be limited to older stuff.  Also ‘98 isn’t secure anymore and hasn’t been for a while.  I would run that thing only behind an air gap. my memory is even the slower core 2 duos crushed even much faster  single core processors.  There was a story about a core2duo in the sun 2ghz range beating the pants off a 5ghz single core. Jumps in performance between generations today are often 20% or less.  During that period they were often 40% or more.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

‘98second edition is really old.  Finding modern software that will run on it may be impossible.  You’ll be limited to older stuff.  Also ‘98 isn’t secure anymore and hasn’t been for a while.  I would run that thing only behind an air gap. my memory is even the slower core 2 duos crushed even much faster  single core processors.  There was a story about a core2duo in the sun 2ghz range beating the pants off a 5ghz single core. Jumps in performance between generations today are often 20% or less.  During that period they were often 40% or more.

I think you're kinda missing the point. Doing crazy stuff like this isn't normally something you do to end up with a fully working system, you do it to see if you can and because its crazy. I'm 99% sure OP knows they won't be running modern software on it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I think you're kinda missing the point. Doing crazy stuff like this isn't normally something you do to end up with a fully working system, you do it to see if you can and because its crazy. I'm 99% sure OP knows they won't be running modern software on it.

One never knows though.  Could always be someone who found a machine or something.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

well there both 775 so i was just wondering witch one is faster if they both run 1 core and 1 thread. and if the 6mb cash made any difference. ya the x56 and the 1366 cpus you got an %50 over clock. good times.

only care about game performance if that helps.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

ya its for gaming only. i will make a xp pc too when i find a good price on x79 and an gtx 970.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

One never knows though.  Could always be someone who found a machine or something.

11 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Which cpu-z version is it?

Try this version instead...

cpu-z_1.03-win9x.zip 1.31 MB · 0 downloads

thx ill try that.

20210605_192450.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm not really sure it actually matters. You're so far above the requirements to run the OS already, adding another few hundred megahertz is not going to make much difference.

You should be careful about running SSDs in such an old OS though, 98 obviously is not SSD aware which means no idle garbage collection but even worse than that, if 98 decides to run a scandisk (which it does alot), or even worse a defrag, on the SSD it will chew through read/write cycles.

well its an $25 ssd but what ide to sata would you recommend. i live in canada.

10 hours ago, 8tg said:

The real fun is era hardware, running 98SE on what’s effectively windows vista era hardware is a bit excessive.

I don’t think you’ll see any issues with the core2duo, besides that yes it will run a single core and thread, which is still overkill for 98SE and anything that would run on it.

As was just mentioned, don’t use an SSD, and if you are gonna use an SSD use an ide to msata adapter or a dedicated ide SSD because they tend to have controllers on board to manage trim features and such so the OS doesn’t wear down the ssd as much.

Reveal hidden contents

C87E1BE3-DB48-4A70-83E8-9F00A07C0A24.thumb.jpeg.b04d74ee1008d12a114c821a05bcb60c.jpeg

so the e8600 is faster then the P4 651on 98se?

only for games that all i care about.

Edited by thrasher_565

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

Yeah it will run at 3.33 ghz ... Would be best to disable one core if you can from bios, and you could probably change FSB to 1066 mhz or 800 Mhz or even 667 Mhz if you can't play with the multiplier.  Right now that cpu is set at 1333 Mhz x 2.5  so you have a 2.5 multiplier, but if you could change the FSB to 800 Mhz then your cpu will run at 2 Ghz

You'd probably want 512 MB of memory... technically Windows 98 SE can do 1 GB, but you need to edit ini files

See MSKB Q304943

To limit access to 1 GB of RAM on Win98:

To work around this issue, add the following line to the [386enh] section of the System.ini file:

MaxPhysPage=40000
This limits the amount of physical RAM that Windows can access to 1 GB. To add this line, use the following steps:
Use any text editor (such as Notepad) to open the System.ini file in the Windows folder.

Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file:

MaxPhysPage=40000
Save the file, and then restart your computer.

there a patch for 1 gig. i was having an hard time finding ddr2 800 256mb and when you do there like $40...

ya ill get what cpu setting i have in the bios its not much... posable an program might let me over clock more or smoothing.

20210605_192202.jpg

Edited by thrasher_565

13 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

This comes up a lot when people talk about SSDs on retro systems and I think it's misguided.  I use a Kingston 128GB A400 in my E5800 powered Windows ME machine fine too  Let's go over a few things:

1) It's Windows 9X, exactly how many writes do you think it does to storage anyway?  I have a 128GB SSD in my system and 128GB is the largest partition FAT32 can even write.  The drive is basically a bottomless pit by Windows 9X standards.  Most Windows 9X games install like maybe 50 megabytes.  You will read the SSD far, far, far, far more than write to it.

2) It's fast as hell.  You have never seen Windows till you've seen it running off an SSD.  My ME build by default didn't enable DMA mode so it ran really slow and it was still stupid crazy cast responsive because the response times were still ultra low and that mattered way more than throughput since files are so small on that software.  Enabling DMA only made it even more amazing.

3) Do you know how cheap suitable SSDs for Windows 9X machines are?  I paid CAD$19.99 on Black Friday for a 128GB Kingston A400 and I got a few spares in a drawer.  I spend more on Sunday night delivery meals.  Who cares even if it did burn out in 2-3 years?

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

A lot of us use CF cards in old machines because of the simple CF-IDE adapters, those don't even have wear leveling and don't die in any meaningful timeframe.

98 may not know about SSDs but even if it wrote "a lot" whatever it writes is 1000x smaller than anything done nowadays.

Win10, linux etc also all constantly write logs and those are much bigger, but it doesn't matter in the slightest to drive life.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2